Covenant Abilities should be a new talent row

Yeah let me go tell a holy paladin who is on the front page of the world rankings for his respective spec on both rio and mythic raiding just not to worry too much.

When people of his skill are doing keys that high, 1-2% in any direction can be the difference between a key +1 and depleting it. Blizzard has created content for people to push as hard as they can.

Honestly have you looked at a single thing from Alpha? I don’t think you have.

3 Likes

Well yeah. Games are supposed to be fun, not a source of stress.

Players like him are going to take out their spreadsheets anyhow and pick whatever “sims” best.

The game is predicated on making a much more meaningful choice than covenants and I pointed that out already. Meaningful choice is a fundamental aspect of the game.

You what would be even cooler than waiting to see what a Venthyr mage does in X content and a Night Fae mage does in X content? Letting all mages have the ability to try new strategies out and play around with spells.

2 Likes

There is not a big enough difference between the abilities to create that scenario though. It’s two abilities and some give advantages in some content while others are near useless in others and that’s without going into the differences between specs varying wildly with the same covenant.

Oh yeah remember that hugely meaningful choice in Sylvanas storyline where you choose if you were a loyalist or for the horde and it didn’t matter all because we’re playing a MMORPG and the story goes one way.

And then those mages will be no different from each other aside from a transmog they may or may not even be wearing. Sounds boring and dull to me.

I agree with you there. Those choices should have had a lot more impact.

Also known in English as “different”

Very simple to answer this actually! The answer is that it is simply not possible.

1 class ability and one generic ability providing defensive/movement utilities will never be enough to “see different playstyles and strategies”.

One can argue that soulbinds might influence that. Blizzard plans on using them to “equalize” the covenants, so you will end up seeing absolutely no difference when you look at a Venthyr Mage approaching a Night Fae Mage. Hence removing all weight to the “Meaningful choice” argument.

I have my own covenant plans, but I’ve seen the transmogs and don’t plan to wear them. You won’t be able to even tell what covenant I picked, and that’s just no fun.

And I’ve played the game for 15 years and can’t tell what talents people picked. What’s your point exactly?

I won’t know what covenant people have picked unless I’m in a group with them and i see them use their ability. Transmog is the only way you can tell if someone is X or Y Covenant.

My point is that we’ve finally got a meaningful way for characters to stand out from others of the same classes, races and specs, and all you people can do is trash it.

1 Like

Yes, you can do that by wearing your covenant armor. That’s amazing huh, damn.

Same way i can tell someone is a rogue when they walk by me in their tier set.

I can see that he has class identifying armor

We don’t though…

A mage will play the same way no matter their Covenant. It’s much more about how Covenant spells fit in the class, rather than how a class fits with what the covenant provides.

They’re forced to make all the spells role-agnostic and generic. So they are forced to give them different strengths mechanically. These mechanical differences are the whole reason this issue has been a hot topic ever since the blizzcon reveal.

Or, and hear me out here, you are trashing the game over a request that will impact you in no way.

2 Likes

He’ll have a really hard time sleeping knowing people are doing content he isn’t doing with all the abilities. How can he possible play the game without MEANINGFUL CHOICE MATTERING?!

SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHOICES

And not everyone’s going to do that. I happen to like my character’s current transmog and have no plans on swapping it anytime soon.

What you will see though is my character fighting a different way than another character of the same race, class and spec because my covenant grants me powers different from the other guy.

Not entirely.

Okay, not entirely. They will cast one new spell every 2 minutes, or however long the cd of the new spell is.

Wow! Insane playstyle difference and so much new strategies to explore!

Who is your current characters transmog? You’re posting on a classic character so we have no idea what level of content you are doing.

Game changing as in raids I watch people cast individual spells, it’s very important I know what spells they are doing.

HELL YEAH MAN, Thanks for picking the PVP COVENANT ABILITY BROTHER in Mythic Raid, you are HELPING US OUT!

That person is helping me out by making it easier to decide who to bench on the final boss of the tier.