Covenant Abilities should be a new talent row

Comparing apple with oranges

One is a core part of the game
The other is an external borrowed power system

If people switch classes, they still have the old character there ready to be picked up should it become relevant again.

If you switch Covenant, your progress made in the previous one is thrown away.

But why aren’t you? Its the same issue, the concept that a meaningful, permanent choice is bad because it may preclude you from being optimal at some point in your game play.

You doom yourself to be sub optimal just by picking a class, and to a much greater degree than by picking 2 abilities for a class.

Because you’re comparing a class with a talent row.

Stop trying to strawman us with this weak, weak argument.

3 Likes

Are you trying to tell me that there isn’t a meta for different types of content in WoW and that having the proper classes does not make finding groups and succeeding much easier?

The argument is I want to play this class at to the best I can without having to spend a fair amount of time between key days and raid days to get the optimal covenant. If he wanted to play the game at the highest possible levels he would then just swap classes each tier like many people do but as tiphess said if that class becomes meta again you are some what geared already while. If the covenant gets buffed again you’re at square one again

There is a meta

Completely besides the point this thread addresses though. Feel free to make your own thread if you want to talk about that?

Is it?

Choosing a class for what you like stylistically can objectively make you weaker for multiple forms of content.

Why is that an ok concept in one case but not the other? That is a real question about the core philosophy of what you’re asking them to do.

Because It’s about me wanting to be the strongest form of my class, not being the strongest class for my form of content.

Now you’ve got an answer maybe stop bringing up a redundant point.

1 Like

If you already know you’re sub optimal then why are you fretting about (maybe)being only slightly more sub-optimal? Seems like a very strange concern to me, but to each their own. In the end I think the class meta will still be much more important than any covenant meta that emerges.

Believe it or not, there are groups and guilds that won’t care what covenant you pick. I plan on picking what’s appropriate for my character and will still raid, PvP, and do M+ as much as I want.

The covenant system is fine. I look forward to meaningful choices with tangible player power and actual pros and cons. The game doesn’t have to account for what the 1% will be doing all the time.

Yes classes will still have the largest impact however covenants will impact that even further. One can realistically be changed the other will never happen.

2 Likes

Sorry can you help provide what the pros are again of locking abilities behind covenants? We’ve been over this mEaNiNgFuL cHoIcE does absolutely not cut it.

2 Likes

Character identity. I like the fact that a Kyrian Warlock will be a fundamentally different creature from a Necrolord Warlock, and so forth. Covenants give us an opportunity to stand out from others of the same race and class.

Btu they won’t be. They will be the exact same warlock with a different cosmetic and ability.

The identifying feature will be one will parse 20% less than the other warlock in a certain content because their respective one is garbage for that.

Character identity, what a joke.

2 Likes

And that warlock will have its moment to shine in another piece of content. It’s fine.

That’s not really a meaningful choice though. In two years the choice won’t matter. Even then the choice you or I make will impact absolutely nothing. If a choice is to have meaning there needs to be a observable outcome. The only thing that will be different between me and someone else is the npc we see during world quest dialog.

2 Likes

So we’re only allowing people to shine in one form of content? What about the Holy paladin in my guild that is 4600 Raider. io and also one of the top holy paladins in the world for Mythic Ny’alotha? What does he get to do?

He has to perform objectively worse in one and handicap his group-mates because someone thought character identity was a thing?

2 Likes

The playstyles will be a bit different too, as is their specific character flavor.

I guess he has a tough choice to make. If you were to ask me though, I’d say not to stress so much about it and just pick what reflects the character.

Fine for you. Not fine for others.

Solutions exist to make it fine for every single player, while preserving what you call character identity, and whatever else you think the current system provides.

Reasons to not apply these solutions? From my point of view, there is none. What about you? Do you think there are reasons to deliberately make the system not fine for everyone?

2 Likes

So how would you make the choices have impact while making it so that it’s not merely a fluff thing?

As an example, I want to see a Venthyr Mage approach a Night Fae Mage and see different playstyles and strategies come about from their choice of covenants.