Covenant Abilities should be a new talent row

This is the unofficial thread for discussing why the new covenant abilities should be a new talent row thread.

Leave covenants to be selected by players based on their choice of armor sets, rp/lore reasons, pets, mounts, titles heck even allow covenants cross-faction battlegrounds/mythics - Just not abilties!

We will be directly punished for choosing a covenant for looks, or objectively making yourself weaker for multiple forms of content to excel in one.

Gladiators will take the best pvp one.
Mythic plus key pushers will take the best m+ one.
Mythic raiders will take the best mythic raid one.

This is not meaningful choice. How did we go from a system where Blizzard tried to encourage people to do content they wouldn’t do with essences (C/S as example) to punishing players doing content outside their focus.

This is not a 1% vs the casuals argument. If you’re ceiling for in game activity is LFR or a +5 you’re well within your right to want to be able to be the strongest version of yourself.

Player agency and Meaningful choice are not arguments, they are buzzwords much like antivaxxers say they are well informed and did their research.

184 Likes

YES PLEASE

This system is doomed to be a failure. Save development time and make it swappable.

72 Likes

This is silly. I want it to be a meaningful choice not something I don’t care about since I can change it whenever

25 Likes

Blizzard has years of examples showing their can create meaningful choice without locking power behind it. Why can’t they do it now?

29 Likes

He didn’t mean it timbo :slight_smile:

I’m going to just be honest. I don’t want meaningful choices outside of story content that affect player power in this fashion. If they can’t make the story change it’s path to the end (even if the end remains the same) meaningful then I don’t care about meaningful choices.

It’s just a buzzword, honestly. I see no practical value to making us permanently (or punishingly) choose which abilities we’ll actually have access too. Player power should be about player skill and personal choices made moment-to-moment when in the heat of it. It should not be about what story choices they made.

22 Likes

One Week Later

‘Omg, the Covenant Abilities are so bad, Blizzard can’t balance the game to save their lives, so glad my subscription time is up in two days!’

How is it not? They’re going to pick the best one anyway, regardless of anything else, so why do you have to ruin everything?

2 Likes

Blizzard cannot balance anything. I’m curious if you made this post with the intention to support my idea.

If Corruption has taught us anything it’s that balancing is not Blizzards strongest point.

What are we ruining?

How does making it a talent row instead of tied to a covenant ruin anything for you?

On one hand - Currently system punishes those who want to do multiple content.

Talent row - Nobody is punished.

31 Likes

Well said!they finally add back player agency and fantasy to a MMORPG and nope can’t have that,that would be crazy!

8 Likes

You are misunderstanding the system. Current system removes player agency. The standards expected from players is to pick whatever is best for the content you do. Player agency is non-existent in this situation.

Make the covenant swappable or put the spells in a talent row? Player agency is back.

23 Likes

Said it in other threads and I’ll say it here. It’s hilarious that Blizzard can put the “RPG” tag on this and people believe that it’s not similar to the issues we’ve had with Legendaries and Azerite. I can’t wait for the threads from players who pug that get kicked or declined for not having the right Covenant ability.

23 Likes

No. I’m pointing out that you’ll find something else to complain about, regardless of how it looks.

You marginalize it? You rip out the Soul Conduits/Binds just to pretend like you’re making a choice that isn’t utterly dependent on chasing the trends of world first raiders and MDI competitors.

It’s like you have to adjust with what you pick. The horror of adapting.

And like profession specializations, anything unique is gone for the sake of ‘versatility’ and ‘an even playing field’.

3 Likes

What about those who do more then one type of content or play multiple specs like say dps/healer anf queue for both for faster dungeons . What if their dps covenant is bad for their heal spec.

Abilities should either be in the spell book or talents.

25 Likes

Compared to now when they get kicked or declined for not having the correct Raider. IO, Azerite Traits, Corruptions, or anything else that doesn’t satisfy chasing numbers?

But, nah it’s that one ability that’s the problem.

6 Likes

It will become a part of the problem, though. Your point? Why not simply avoiding making these abilities a part of the problem?

20 Likes

Yep! That’s why we should add to the pile of reasons. Sound logic

15 Likes

Have you personally experienced this? Didn’t we establish this last time you are answering for people who do content you don’t?

9 Likes

You will find anything to nit-pick over. Anything. How does Covenant abilities suddenly cross the line?

2 Likes

??? What is your point?

2 Likes

Talents, Azerite can also be changed easily.

Why would you bring someone purposely taking suboptimal talents if you want to push keys

7 Likes