Core Race Pages updated - sigh

There is a centaur who joined the Horde.
but yeah centaur for the horde
dryads for the alliance

5 Likes

Because a lot of the Light villains are Light villains because of poorly-written villain batting; Yrel and the AU Draenei got it, and it might happen to Turalyon too.

Because the storyline has made the Light look weak, such as by having Illidan one-shot a Prime Naaru.

Because the Scarlet Crusade are wiped out and the Scarlet Onslaught and Scarlet Brotherhood are barely a footnote.

Because some people consider it part of a over-the-top fixation on edgy and subversive writing that Blizzard rarely does well.

And because it might be used for ham-fisted, one-sided commentary on real-world issues.

1 Like

The Scarlet Crusade as an organization is still active, maybe under a new name but still the same group. We were literally hinted at them being relevant pretty recently through pamphlets at the end of BfA.

7 Likes

Honestly my only huge issue with a Light Crusade would be if they try to get the player races roped into joining it. A bunch of dimensionally “foreign” draenei Light fanatics (and presumably some converted orcs and other Draenor races) being summoned from the AU by bad actors in our reality to invade at some point could work, since it would give them a chance to conclude it by properly addressing the Scarlet Crusade angle by way of Azeroth’s more grounded and reasonable Light-revering societies squarely pointing out why they’re doing things the wrong way once the manipulative and hard-line agencies steering them have been taken down.

Just keep it out of the player factions (let’s be real, it’d mainly be the Alliance.) I don’t need them arbitrarily killing or otherwise removing characters like Velen, Liadrin, Turalyon and/or even Tyrosus to sloppily justify the Light-following races spontaneously acting like bloodlusted morons in their absence. We’ve had too much of that with the orcs’ moderates getting neutered whenever the writers want them to brainlessly and unanimously start Blood and Thundering everyone again, and more of a bad thing doesn’t become good just because it’s being done to the Alliance instead.

16 Likes

The Scarlet Onslaught are a splinter group, I assume the Scarlet Brotherhood are another one or copycats.

But the AU Draenei were villain-batted for this. Plus I think t hey are going to rope player races and established characters like Velen, Turalyon, Liadrin and maybe even A’dal into it.

I’m not the only one against it, and I share the concern that more than the Lightbound will get the villain bat.

1 Like

As a Forsaken fan there are three absolute wins here:

1. No Calia or Lilian as de-facto leader. Absolute win here.

2. No “tireless defenders of the living” or nonsense like that

3. The description of Undercity is thematically on point.

(Sorry every other race)

17 Likes

Yes on 2 and 3 but not too sure about 1

They didn’t add a box saying “we don’t know who the leader is”

They made the box invisible, removed it

I would wager the box does exist, but don’t want to poop the bed while there’s multiple fires burning in the house.

My one hope is that by specifically tying that change in behavior to the arrival of this “Light Mother,” they’ve already provided the mechanism by which they can be turned from their current path.

I.e. “we’ve gotta get rid of that Light Mother.”

Heck, at this point it could end up turning out that this AU Light Mother is an example of or result of a nathrezim having successfully infiltrated the Light as one of its agents. Just because they failed in the distant past doesn’t mean they haven’t managed to worm their way into the confidence of the Light’s followers since. And when it’s exposed/taken out, the whole Lightbound situation can have a huge “Oh crap, we’ve been doing all this because that thing was really in charge?”

Could even have the discovery involve Lothraxion turning out to be a legit Light convert who starts to recognize things about the Light Mother’s behavior and finally says “hey guys, if I were still of a mind to corrupt and misdirect an Army of the Light into causing all sorts of unnecessary death and mayhem, that’s exactly how I’d be doing it.”

4 Likes

Leaving aside all the rest, can I just note that that is a really weird usage of the word “stringent” and it doesn’t get any better the more they keep using it?

Also the races without heritage armor look dodgy (except for worgens’ terrible shouldpads, that ensure as is traditional, the worgen look awful).

3 Likes

The stringent Alliance’s stringent standards for stringent living on Azeroth are that you please not attack us. Very stringent, very restrictive.

6 Likes

Restrictive, dogmatic, staid… Hell, even strict would be better.

Stringent just reads like, “Opened a thesaurus, who cares about common use?”

The Alliance is stringent? Since when?

2 Likes

Yes, what even is this? At no time has any faction of goblins ever been shown to want to take over the world. This whole write-up highlights only the worst of stereotypical goblin traits. Crafty and greedy? Ew.

How about scrappy, resourceful, and inquisitive. Pragmatic when it comes to diplomacy, but loyal to their chosen crew. Sometimes a bit reckless in their efforts to invent bigger and better explosives. When you ask why, a goblin asks why not?

24 Likes

Night Elf: I love that they listed Darnassus as the night elf home but the last line is just “Well, until it was destroyed anyway, guess they’re actually homeless”.

Forsaken: I continue to be… annoyed, let’s go with annoyed, at Blizzard’s refusal to touch the Forsaken after screwing them over. Undercity’s current state didn’t even get a throwaway line at the end like Darnassus.

Goblin: Reforging old pacts with their one-time allies, the goblins of the Bilgewater Cartel have been welcomed into the Horde.

What do they mean by old pacts? I just woke up and cannot for the life of me think of what they’re talking about here.

8 Likes

They could be confusing the Bilgewater Cartel with the Steamwheedle Cartel.

7 Likes

Centaur, Keepers of the Grove and dryads. All of the Horse Races (or even Horse-ish races) have joined the Hoard, a new faction led by Cenarius.

2 Likes

Yes and no. The Dk starting area strongly implies that the Onslaught is what remains of the crusades best and brightest. (no pun intended). The rest of the crusade died to the Scourge. The Crusaders we see in the MoP version of the Scarlet Mono dungeons are what remains of the onslaught following their defeats in Dragonblight and Icecrown.

2 Likes

Also, I really think one of the Blood Elves on the page should be Black. The dark skin tones aren’t represented much, and racists hate them to this day.

16 Likes

They have hinted at it and after we actually time traveled to a different past version of Draenor and visited the after life, so I put nothing past Blizzard.

The only thing that I’m confident on is that Blizzard won’t have us visit their other franchises as an expansion setting. World of Warcraft: The Koprulu sector is a thing that I don’t ever see happening… even though I wouldn’t be opposed to the Tal’darim joining the Horde in such a setting.

2 Likes