Copying meta doesnt make you good or skilled

TLDR but i love playing non-meta.

Back when PvP wasnt an eviscerated pile of garbage i would ALWAYS play off-meta.
Blood DPS to 2400( especially Back when i could stack multistrike high enough to have basically 100% Breath of Sindragosa uptime)
Dual Wield/Death Siphon Unholy for that whole period of time where “Death Siphon is garbage”.
I was able to push 2200+ with it, and do more ranged burst damage than most ranged classes. Which caught most players off guard, even at 2200+

i miss those days.
But PvP is basically unplayably bad right now, so im just meta slaving the casual PvE content i do.

1 Like

I’ve played both ways and I have a lot more fun when it’s not via the current meta, particularly talent choice wise.

I’ve surpassed my sims at times on heroic bosses, doesnt neccassirly mean I’m a god but rather, I got lucky with procs.

Wow is a game that rewards skill and time. Furthermore, what people dont often see is padding, and rng. The damage meters only tell so much.

But I’ll say one thing, if you are actually good at the game, you will be able to play every spec well regardless of what your main is (relative to what you are capabale of achieving ofc. Not saying ur bad if you swap specs and do worse dps. Must take into account how optimised you are)

I think it would have been nice if the OP had spent as much time trying to help his fellow players then tearing them down.

2 Likes

This is so true. DH’s who brag about anything make me giggle.

All that thick fur and fat will help keep the bench warm for sure, maybe even in the next expansion :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

nah, I’m the gm they can’t bench me

(/taps forehead. smrt!)

Disagree.

If you were running a build that simmed 100k and you were pulling 95k, I’d argue you’re quite good at that build. I’d also say that you’re choosing fun over performance, and that in the right environment that’s “bad.”

Unskilled isn’t the same as “bad” when discussing throughout and meta. You can be skilled at your spec but bad at your class in the overall sense of efficiency.

You might make an absolute beast of a baked mac and cheese dish, but when it comes down to it the person who was just as good at bouef bourguignon as you are at mac and cheese is likely to be hailed as “better.” It’s not necessarily even that either are “hard” to do, I’ve made both and I wouldn’t call them difficult (time consuming maybe), but the end results are exceptionally different.

If you’re looking to impress and create a complex dish that satisfies a complex palate, the comfort option of mac and cheese isn’t as impressive or interesting. That doesn’t mean you can’t have mac and cheese, it just means that on a table of food that people expect the top end food you’re not likely to be favored. Doesn’t mean you weren’t exceptionally good at that dish, it just means that dish isn’t as desirable.

LFR players cant kill a boss as easy as Nzoth without 10 stacks of determination, I dont want these players in my group.

1 Like

LFR was a lot of fun when you could pull the whole wing of the raid and the boss without issue.

Now people try to take it seriously and need stacks of determination. Bring back the real LFR experience. Its not like BFA didnt have long list of AFK content.

I didn’t get this statement. The point of playing games is to have fun why play otherwise? Why play something you don’t like just to fit it ?

1 Like

I understand the confusion. I don’t mean that you’re obligated to play something that isn’t fun. I meant that if what you find fun isn’t something other people want to bring along that’s a difference of opinion, not an injustice.

There are a lot of ways to have fun, mind you. For many of us that fun lies in beating a challenge, overcoming a timer, or some other difficulty.

In that sense I have (back when I raided) played whatever class we needed. Not because I thought the class was fun but because it was more fun to beat the content by the means needed than it was to try to play a class that was fun.

Using the cooking analogy, my husband doesn’t think cooking is fun but he does derive enjoyment and pleasure from eating meals together. As a result he cooks (maybe 1/3rd of the time) because the fun and enjoyment derived from eating together and doing something nice outweigh the tedium of cooking. Similarly speaking some number of players feel that choosing a less fun talent is more fun in the end because it allows you to achieve more results.

If you only observe “fun” in the sense of your rotation, then obviously playing anything less than 100% fun isn’t going to work for you. However that’s not the only kind of “fun” that can be had in a game. I certainly found it immensely rewarding to 112% Hollow Knight but I didn’t feel that every step was fun; it was about the overall experience and outcome not the moment to moment engagement. Mind you I enjoyed many parts as well, but it’s too narrow to say “it’s not fun to push these buttons” and say that you aren’t deriving any pleasure from other aspects of the engagement.

TLDR

Rotation isn’t the sole source of fun.

MM is on par with a bag of trash.

1 Like

Visible confusion Do you play on rag?

It was always Eonar.

“You really need to go Destro, and I know you like Aff, but your DPS would be that much better and you would be a bigger help for the guild.”

This was a long time ago, when the guilt-tripping first started happening to me.

I feel when people going around accusing players that they are “dragging down their team” for not playing Fotm/meta build (Even though said team is nowhere near world first) this is something much more than just “different way of having fun”

Because I dont think anybody minds people who might fotm or min max if they arent toxic about it towards others, and even in this thread you see people focusing more on “I am being forced by myself/community to do this else I will be dragging down my team” as if they dont play meta they ll be doing half of the required DPS needed to kill the boss.

Which is quite hilariously wrong since if your team is wiping at bosses when gear is plentiful a month after a raid launch, even if people play Fotm they clearly have far bigger ISSUES to fix than non playing fotm.

You are again implying meta is “harder” when often times it isnt, a feral druid requires a lot more skilled than a BM hunter yet a bm hunter will outdps feral by rolling their face on a keyboard

Because sadly for some people their performance and achievements because their only source of self worth and value since they dont have a healthy source of those from irl, which is exactly why you see them go above and beyond doing ridiculous things like rerolling or playing as meta as possible while farming meta corruptions to reach that maximum performance while many times shouting about how much they hate the game and how terrible doing all that feels.

These people arent truly having fun, they are defending their self worth which is an incredibly unhealthy lifestyle.

1 Like

But what if I’ve been playing BM hunter since Nighthold and the meta becomes me? Does that make me the best player in the world? :thinking:

Copying me? You wouldn’t want to

Sigh… Once again another MASSIVELY hypocritical post telling people not to play how they like

1 Like

It’s pretty much all Ralph does really. Have to admire his persistence though lol

1 Like