Copying meta doesnt make you good or skilled

Then you are an extremely lucky person, as long as you dont start developing delusions of grandeur because it became meta.

Final Fantasy, the single player games that were the jumping off point for me to come to this, let you choose “optimal items” or something like that and it would equip you with the best stuff in your bags. That wasn’t an issue, like, at all.

I’ve been playing Magic: the Gathering for most of the years since 1994. Reminds me of the backlash against “netdeckers” and how some people will still insist that people who play a deck they found online are doing it wrong. They aren’t, they’re getting information it would’ve taken valuable time and money to find out the hard way. If they lose it isn’t because they got the information but because they failed to fully utilize it.

Information about games readily available is the way of the world these days.

Thats not even close to being right.

Maybe but but the demon hunters kit brings more to the table than the feral druid.

Statistical outliers are not proof of anything. Its why they call them outliers.

2 Likes

Which begs the question why is a the feral pulling 95k actual of a simmed 100k pugging?

I want to just touch on this. There’s a common theme of raising the “toxicity” flag around a lot of things.

If someone makes a group and doesn’t invite someone who isn’t adhering to the meta, that’s not inherently toxic. If they’re rude, combative, or otherwise treating the people they reject, that’s toxic. Simply choosing not to take someone who doesn’t meet your expectations, despite that being a high expectation, is not itself toxic behavior.

The crowd of people who push incredibly high end content are going to do that because they have to do that. Perhaps not in the calculable sense that it could be done with less than optimal, but in the practical sense that no one actually performs optimally at all times. Thus they bring the ideal setup, with a player proven to be skilled, so that they minimize the risk of failure to its lowest point. Which is to say that a +18 doesn’t need everyone to be playing at simmed levels, but it’s a wiser choice to choose people who are playing as close to optimal.

Once again this entirely relies on how they handle it. Simply saying no is not toxic, berating, chastising, attacking, or otherwise attempting to insult, hurt, or undermine, would absolutely be toxic.

I feel that you took from that something I didn’t mean to imply.

Bouef Bourguignon is not “hard” it’s just more involved. Mac and cheese isn’t “simple,” either. Both are difficult if you’re just learning to make it; if you want to make it excellent at least. Once you know what you’re doing they’re both easy, though admittedly one has more steps. I should say I meant baked Mac and cheese, since that’s more involved, but the misunderstanding is likely broader than a simple clarification.

I don’t believe that meta specs are more difficult. I also don’t believe that, in a good guild environment, having flasks, enchants, etc, is “difficult.” Any spec is as difficult as you make it, but difficulty and output are not tied together perfectly. Sometimes the easier option is more productive (BM is generally very easy but does very well, while Subtlety rogue isn’t very easy at all and requires a practiced hand to do well), while the harder option is less productive.

Slow down there. This is definitely toxic behavior. You’re ascribing a manner of game play to someone’s value or self worth. That’s not only inaccurate but extremely judgmental.

You use the term “some people” to escape the statement here. There obviously must be a few people who place that much emphasis on it, which makes it impossible to argue. However the problem is that the vast majority of minmaxers in game aren’t like that. As someone who’s minmaxed in the past I can tell you that there’s genuine joy derived from doing that.

I’m much more casual with WoW now, but I’ll still play Morrowind with a spreadsheet of the perfect gear. I’ll still meticulously eek out three +5 stats per level up by focusing solely on the skills needed to do so; even if that means spending gold or jumping up flights of stairs for half an hour. I enjoy making that character as broken as it can be; I like that feeling. Not because I don’t have a source of value in my life, it’s just a fun thing I enjoy.

The same carries over for WoW for some people. Just because you don’t see the fun in it doesn’t invalidate it as a fun activity. Ascribing mental health or emotional health problems to that is not only unkind but passively malicious.

I suggest you think about things a bit. Not everyone plays games your way. Personally I don’t even listen to the story in half the games I play. If the combat and controls are good I really don’t care why I’m going into the forest; there’s loot to be had and enemies to crush. Yet my husband doesn’t play a game if he doesn’t like the story, no matter how good the game play is. People are different and they like different things. You don’t have the right to say they’re not having fun just because you don’t understand it.

2 Likes