Copying meta doesnt make you good or skilled

I do enjoy playing off meta builds; I still do well playing off meta builds

However if I’m doing progression raiding I’m going to be doing it as a high performance build because my intent is not based around enjoying my class at that point it’s based around making the raid monster I want dead to end up dead

1 Like

I can guarantee you this is almost all in your head.

3 Likes

S2 Umbrella Academy in a couple weeks.

I’m yet to be held back for playing off meta in this xpac

I might not have had my goals set high but I’ve done the heroic raid for this tier, boosted around in my void wing and smashed my head into dailies like everyone else

Knowledge is knowing that tomato is a fruit.

Applying that knowledge is not putting it in a smoothie.

No, it’s real. I used to raid and I was told the same thing. Now it may not be discussed or debated aloud, but that’s the resident attitude. You can go your own way, but they’re not going to give it merit. One person doing their own thing is one less person in the group, and boy howdy, we just can’t have that!

This is why LFR has also become so controversial. LFR pulls people out of the pool that core and hardcore raiders selfishly need, and the fact that it is so easy that you can play anything you want and win. To the meta folk, playing the non-meta is “going off the reservation” and it is to be coolly tolerated at best.

I’ve played Marks, when the meta was playing Beast Mastery. And my group was fine with it, they were fine with me playing that spec even though it was weaker.

It’s all about group play, the real meta is playing with each other.

No, it is not real. The OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of Min Maxers are not wasting thoughts on whether or not they think someone who doesn’t min/ax is “worth server space” or that the server space would be “better without people who don’t min/max”

I don’t care if you have an anecdote from when you “used to raid.” You’re generalizing and taking a rare occurrence and acting like it’s something worth dwelling on. For every one person like that, there’s 10,000 that aren’t. Just like for every toxic, “meta” hipster like Ralph, there’s 10,000 that aren’t like that.

2 Likes

that is generalizing everyone under one banner when that isn’t remotely true. there certainly are people like that but just as many, if not more, who don’t act like that. i am a clear example not everyone has that opinion.

that’s hyperbole…

and those people are just idiots who should be put on ignore. just because you had some idiots in the game doesn’t mean everyone is like that.

ding ding ding. people like you mentioned want it their way, and people like ralph want it their way and there can be no compromise. the answer is compromise. in the case of covenants, the people who want fun want a meaningful choice. the people who want to tryhard don’t want their power choices limited so harshly.

we just need to decouple the abilities from the covenants and everyone wins. cosmetics and mounts and more is still a meaningful choice even without the power.

i’d just find another guild or something if that’s their attitude. if that is the guild you are in, then you my friend are in what is called a cesspool guild.

nah, the meta “elitists” try to make people conform when many of themselves can’t even meet their own criteria. the people who make the meta don’t care about your self imposed restriction because they aren’t going to play with you. someone like me might play with you but won’t care about your choices unless you start causing issues. once you start causing issues, then you would be lessening my fun. at this point, whoever made the group gets the say on whether you get to stay and you accept that fate by choosing to restrict yourself.

if i underperform due to me only playing bm and i get kicked because they think i am holding them back, that was caused by my decisions.

Can you do us all a favour and stop playing marks so we have a 0.000 representation and they will take a hard look at that iconic spec

How about you find a therapist? You really need it, no offense.

I couldn’t careless about meta. I play what ever class/spec I enjoy. Take Mage I’ve always played Arcane even when Fire was much better because I simply don’t enjoy Fire.

That’s fine and dandy if there’s enough meta-conforming people in the pool, and I would think there is. The community at large BLEW UP about LFD and LFR, so I can’t agree with you believing it’s not real. I knew guilds that were like “glorified crews” that had to maintain alts for 10-mans because of manpower shortages.

So in essence, I’m just explaining the attitudinal disposition. The non-meta might as well not even exist at all where the meta folk are concerned, and it’s a waste for Blizzard to let them float along being little in productivity.

Marks has always been mainstream. Even nowadays, all the cool kids play Survival. :sunglasses:

That’s what my hunter is currently!

It’s my favourite spec in the game for BFA! Super under rated.
It feels like a more mobile unholy death knight before legion

I love it

I’m pretty sure absolutely no one but the higher-end Heroic and Mythic guilds says that copying meta makes you a good player or not copying it makes you bad

TRU

This is also factually false in the majority of cases. Simming assumes a 100% perfect situations: all your cds, corruptions, traits, rotation, procs, etc line up in one damage phase.

Simming is not the end-all rigid parameters that your current situation has the potential to do, it’s an algorithm that can sometimes get predictions wrong.

Blind reliance on guides is the only method that a new player or a not knowledgable player must do in order to become knowledgable about something. It’s like I always hold this belief in real life: When someone/something teaches you something, you do it that way until you get really good and knowledgable at it. THEN you can make variations as to how you like it.

This is why you don’t select for people for your groups based on this reasoning alone.

No there really isn’t. Classes have become so simplified that anyone can pick up any class and with more than a week of serious max level play, they will begin to understand how their class works. There is no “difficulty” involved, especially when Corruptions trivialize the base capabilities of the classes anyway.

There was nothing factual about anything you posted, just hyper opinionated. Meta exists as a proven selection of classes and specs that are known to generally work and people who buy into it aren’t necessarily anything. It takes the same amount of knowledge and skill to play a meta class as it does to play a non-meta class.

Are you talking about MoP? If you’re holding a grudge for that long about a reaction to a system that is still in the game and was never actually taken away from anybody, that’s something you need to figure out. Meanwhile, min/maxers have actually thus far lost the ability to conveniently spec swap because of this conduit shenanigans.

I remember being upset about LFR MoP because they made the LFR version of the trinkets insanely wrong which forced me to have to run it on top of my already

As for who might as well exist, if the two types of players don’t get along then it’s best that neither think the other exist. However, most people are not that toxic. I play with a lot of non min/max players in game despite having a very pro-min/max attitude towards the game.

1 Like

The community mostly approved of LFR and LFD. It was only a few toxic individuals who hated it and keep trying to get those systems removed.

Unless you wipe to enrages or fail M+ timer

Or your raid team benches you for the guy (who in this is example of your) is just as good a player but is playing the build that puts out better numbers.

Yes, the hardcores hated it the most.

Well, yes and no. I can say better things about your server than mine, because in mine, there are some very controlling and manipulative people who would do anything they can to cajole you into participating with them and helping THEM get what they want. Being a LFR hero is a slap in their faces(just the way they would take it). How dare they get to be in a raid the way they want to do it and not with us where they could get better loot(but not before we get ours first)!

And I understand to be a hardcore raider, you have to give up your own personal choices. But you would be ostracized for not being ambitious otherwise. You wouldn’t have much in the way of “friends”. This is riding on tangents regarding peer pressure and social engineering, which hits the younger folk harder. I’m in my mid-30’s so I’m a lot better adjusted to go with the non-meta.