Continued Diversity & Representation in Customization

Just pick 11 or 12. There are far more pressing character customization options across WoW playable races than adding increasingly granular skin tones for people who insist that their character skin color looks exactly a particular way.

:roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I found another example on twitter too - The tweet credits the artist too but Iā€™ll put here too + the tweet but the art is by TaliaMirai , the other example I used the tweet was by the artist + had their watermark + I included the tweet so I didnā€™t think to specify but the tweet I found this art from isnā€™t the artist so I just wanted to mention lol

This the people who donā€™t get it will never get it. Period dot. Like theres not much else to say about that, but the people who get it and understand its importance do and appreciate it. Blizzard has acknowledged the sentiment that representation and diverse options are important as well as getting the ball rolling, I just looking at the disparity of how they are leaving them going into Dragonflight hope they do not think the job is ā€œfinishedā€ if that makes sense.

So the whole argument on people not agreeing w diverse options being introduced while it does say a lot about them, ends up being moot, that ship has thankfully already sailed and Blizzard has started down that road of trying thankfully.

3 Likes

Iā€™ll continue requesting Blizzard include better representation.

I would appreciate you not telling me what to do thank you. Here are some examples of things you can run: a lap or the dishwasher in your kitchen, but you donā€™t run me or others. I have not told you what to do and ignored your rather non constructive posts in this thread including

Which youā€™ve spammed several times to no real end.

And makes no difference in what I am requesting be something important for Blizzard moving forward as what they did in SL was not enough.

2 Likes

We need more scars features on orcs.

4 Likes

Then go make a thread about those ā€œpressing character customization optionsā€ then instead of whining in here.

4 Likes

I ā€œgetā€ that itā€™s a foolā€™s errand to try to satisfy people demanding their non-human character ā€œrepresentā€ them with a just-so skin tone in a fantasy game.

They are important to a degree, and theyā€™ve already made a number of changes to that effect. And here you asking for twice the number or non-white skin tones as white so that you can have just the perfect tint or tone that satisfies you.

Doesnā€™t say what you think it says, and thatā€™s an unfortunately common problem.

4 Likes

Iā€™m asking for the same amount.

Using BEs as the example 4 non white skin tones were added to 10 white skin tones.

There is nuance that Blizzard understands exists in skin tone yet only include it for some. Thatā€™s an issue.

2 medium skin tones and 2 darker skin tones isnā€™t enough.

And that example extends to gnomes, Kul Tirans, dwarves, humans that disparity shouldnā€™t exist, and then additionally all are lacking the selection of diverse hair styles.

None of this is incredibly controversial unless diversity and representation bothers you and thatā€™s something you have to deal w not myself or others requesting additional work be put in moving forward to something Blizzard claimed SL was beginning to address.

2 Likes

world of warcraft players try not to be sus in any thread that slightly mentions anything related to skin tones or gender challenge (impossible)

2 Likes

Itā€™s a recommendation.

Iā€™ve used it twice, once in response to your complaint that already-implemented customizations are not ā€œa step in the right direction for helping people facilitate better representationā€, and another in response to your description of white skin tones as ā€œEurocentric.ā€ Itā€™s the perfect response to both of those statements.

I think theyā€™ve already made significant strides and need to focus on other customization issues, as well as the much more important gameplay and systems issues. And as youā€™re asking for apportionment of finite development resources away from that, it affects me - and so Iā€™m commenting on it.

8 Likes

At least itā€™s a concept that people understand both on these forums and other platforms

If we had something like this as our array of options on human skin toned races in WoW + some of the hair styles I shared earlier in the thread :dracthyr_heart:

3 Likes

In the larger scheme of the game itā€™s a small issue at best. And you asked for 10 ā€œmediumā€ and 10 ā€œdarkā€ skin tones, and you want Blizzard to spend the resources necessary to produce those tones in a way that is discernably different to the human eye, renders well with the game engine, and meets your standards.

So my reaction to the things you say, specfically that you say, are because Iā€™m racist against people of color. Not that I have a problem with the things you say in making your argument, or that I disagree with how important you think this issue is, or that I disagree with allocating resources to one issue over others. Got it.

Edit: Let me make this easy for you, because this crap always goes in the same direction: Iā€™m black. In a perfect world all the customization possible, all the skin colors possible, both real-world and fantasy, would be great. Iā€™m responding to you because a) this is your thread; b) youā€™re making statements to which I object; and c) I disagree with the argument that this is a high-priority issue that Blizzard needs to prioritize above other actual gameplay and systems issues - even over other customization issues.

6 Likes

Even if ā€œwhiteā€ skin is a priority, thereā€™s some things missing. Like freckles. So many freckles.

Which is why more choices, both across the spectrum of human looks and expressing some fantasy creativity, would be pretty groovy.

And more customization options benefit every single player of the game, at least marginally, because they have more choices to make their avatar look how they want it to.

3 Likes

I just want to be left handed.

3 Likes

Yes and applied to Kul Tirans Gnomes and Dwarves as well. As other human skin toned races.

As well as diverse hair styles for all.

I have to look and see what regular humans have for options off the top of my head I forget, but I know gnomes only have 8 skin tones period, and Kul Tirans 6.

3 Likes

Great way of saying you are only as deep as your skin color! Nice! Way to stay positive and make sure groups of people are separated and respected!

7 Likes

Nice projection there.

Asking for more customization options to make your character look how you want isnā€™t outlandish. Especially since thereā€™s a fair few things that could be represented in game but arenā€™t.

2 Likes

Honestly that would be niceā€¦ Iā€™m left handedā€¦

2 Likes

In my head as I look at human options I seem to be a bit more confused because they have 16 skin tones so only a few more than BEs but w a plethora of faces and all locked.

In my head using BEs as the example it seems like making sure medium skin tones and darker skin tones each having ten to equal the options of white skin tones and then applying that concept to Gnomes / KT / Dwarves is in some way how Iā€™m looking at requesting it giving everyone a total of 30 options for skin tones but distributed in a way everyone has an equal amount to build a character from.

But maybe a better selection tool being implemented to allow players to pin point options would be best if that was doable(?)

2 Likes

I agree completely. Races based on humans/humanoids should reflect the diversity of humans. If itā€™s established that they have white human skin tones, they should have nonwhite ones too. Race isnā€™t just skin color either, everyone should feel like theyā€™re reflected in characters. White features shouldnā€™t be the default. Even by adding new skin overlays with new and different contours (maybe choose and layer these new contours) can make give a new feel to the model. Itā€™s also about time that we get better body options too. Adding a height slider minimum isnā€™t too extensive of a thing and it would be welcome if Blizzard is too lazy for whole proper body sliders/types (slender, muscular, stocky, maybe the triangle slider option as seen in some games).

5 Likes

Very much this.

In the case of the skin tone options / disparity that can be seen this is what I am meaning.

Extends to hairstyles too.

:dracthyr_heart:

SWTOR for example has a complexion slider w like 30 ish options in addition to their slider to select from 30 ish different skin tones

2 Likes