Continued Diversity & Representation in Customization

I’m wondering if they have temper tantrums in real life when they remember people of color exist.

But yeah, that should definitely be part of their self reflection.

3 Likes

Agree, but the same also goes for the inverse. If them not being here upsets you that much, you may want to ask yourself why.

My skin color isn’t my identity and honestly, I have never seen anyone in a video game that I felt affinity with.

I don’t see skin color, it’s why most of the people in my life haven’t been like me. Not a conscious choice, just worked out that way. Been 40 years since I lived with ANYONE like me yet my home was full of people - all. of them family and friends.

3 Likes

I mean, it seems really dark to me. Essentially these are people who are so upset being around people of different races irl that what they want more than anything is a fantasy world with only white straight people.

It’s nice you think anyone who doesn’t agree with you has lived a life of privilege.

You know what is privilege? to be ignorant enough to believe that.

4 Likes

Well I certainly can’t and won’t speak for everyone but this is an idea that’s flawed IMO. Take Final Fantasy for instance. Since it was invented 30+ years ago, it’s always been white centric.

The thing is, I always loved final fantasy games since I started playing them, in spite of this fact. It is my opinion, however, that the game can be far, far more interesting and three-dimensional if racial representation wasn’t such a tabboo subject and the devs themselves weren’t afraid to invent something contrary to their precious “hIsToRicAl AcCuRaCy”

I’m being facetious here. I harbor no ill will, I just think it’s interesting.

1 Like

I don’t, you’re the one that’s making quite an assumption there yourself but you did that a lot about the Florida and other state laws about Trans kids so I’m not surprised you’re in here playing contrarian in another topic.

Speaking as a history and sociology major, until they set an MMO in 1450’s central Europe this is so dumb.

1 Like

You could say the exact same thing about WoW from 27 years AGO…

Indeed. WoW does not need to stagnate in this area. in my opinion

Actually I am playing fairly neutral. I have no hate or love for wither side.

It seems like I am contrarian only because I don’t believe EXACTLY as you do.

I can tell you my history is more diverse without even trying than anyone in the thread. I am ok with EVERYONE no matter what you believe

2 Likes

I agree with this assessment, except that it needs to add in every area, not just the political hot buttons of today. Be actually inclusive, not just the popular ones

You literally equivocated, because someone mocked a certain group of people that you’re supposedly more… oppressed/treated worse than MaPs of course in the same sentence of talking about LGBTQIA+.

and… that.

Of course, when people point out that rights are being taken away from LGBTQIA+ people in states, you point to how it’s ‘not so bad’.

The worst of it is lost to 404’s and all, but I definitely recall your stance on RvW and other topics especially Florida and Texas

it’s hard for me to talk about some of these things without going off on a tangent and string together a series of incoherent thoughts. but, to break it down, i look at these things and wonder if adding it in would create a net negative or not.

diversity, although a big hot button buzzword that everyone argues over, does not in and of itself hurt the game.

I don’t care what anyone says, the Sea Snake from House of the Dragon rocks as does his family. Don’t like Valyrians like that? Too bad. It is fantasy and it was really well done.

I make characters I can relate to on some level. Not always appearance wise, though I do have some that have similar features to myself, but I’ve always had the option to do that in wow. If others want to be able to see at least part of them in their toon, I’d rather argue for them to get that.

And just because they want their toon to have a similar skin color, that doesn’t mean that character or person is only that color and there’s nothing else to their personality. Why should only white people be able to make a representation of themself in a game?

There’s nothing harmful about wanting to add diverse options, but there is something questionable about wanting to deny them.

Also just so you know, saying you don’t see color is considered racist. Acknowledging our differences and listening to other people’s experiences is a big part of not being a racist. It’s okay to see color, what’s not okay is to see it and to consider it inferior.

3 Likes

First you are arguing against something I am NOT arguing for.

In case you misread what I said, being white isn’t something that will make me see myself in a game. I get some do, but to me, that would make them racist

Just to add to this, if you can point to a given racial group’s disadvantage at a statistical level the world still treats them based on their race. So any claim to “not see colour” is acting like we have equality when we don’t and favours the groups that have privilege.

4 Likes

There’s been a lot of excitement about Latino representation in the new Black Panther movie. We need that kind of hype but for WoW and for a wider range of races :smiley:

2 Likes

I’m always shocked at the lack of Latin representation in Hollywood considering like a third of America has some kind of Latin heritage.

2 Likes

Oh great another DIE thread :skull:

2 Likes