Continued Diversity & Representation in Customization

Man it takes like no effort to avoid these threads.
How you not able to do even that?

Kinda like it’s easy to avoid games that don’t have representation

Yet here we are and having this discussion

2 Likes

Yup.

It’s apparently really complicated for blizzard.

I’m not even good at creative stuff and I’m like what is with the lack of it!?

considering how detailed we can make dracthyrs, there’s really no reason they couldnt. not sure why they wont

1 Like

Yup. I’m jelly of their undergarments and the love poured into it.

I’m bearly making ends meet bc I’ve had to wear the same janky underwear for so long.

Well the crazies are out in force tonight. Starting to remember going through this with you a few times before.

Im out. Can’t talk rationally with religious zealots.

1 Like

Exactly. The issue isn’t about having diversity, but about actually giving it respect and dedication instead of just using it as a quick marketing tactic.

2 Likes

I think there are two kinds of people who say that line, one who thinks its intending to mean “I love everyone” or hand wave that they believe everyone is equal which is nice, only we’re dealing w reality and not everyone is being treated equal even on something as trivial as a video game where some people are afforded a plethora of options and others a few, and ignorance of that treatment is insulting because not acknowledging peoples experiences is literally not seeing them, you can see me as friend, a brother, but if you don’t see color then you quite literally don’t see me, you’re ignoring my experience.

Then there is the people who quite literally don’t want more representation or conversations surrounding it whether it be in video games, books, movies, etc even if they know the disparity exists, and use the line as a way to shut conversation down.

Either way in both case the color blind perspective is outdated and relies entirely on ignoring peoples experience.

The important thing for me is that Blizzard in SL took a stance on pushing forward better options w representation in mind in the case of the human skin toned races, but the work is still lacking be it skin tone options, or hair styles, and I hope they do not consider themselves done because as far as I can tell things have slowed down in that regard.

As far as actual arguments surrounding including more diverse options they all seem moot, Blizzard considers Azeroth diverse they said as much when they introduced the new Human options, that they extended that to the other human skin toned races like Blood Elves etc speaks to that as well.

2 Likes

I really hope we get another WoD style character revamp and they add lots more options for every races, even including body size like dracthyr have

6 Likes

You and Gulkas explained it better than I did, for sure!

I really hope blizz realizes how important customization is to players and acts on it, and that definitely should include many more options for diversity!

4 Likes

You play a fantasy game with magic, monsters, titans, dungeons and dragons. Nothing about you, or anything from our reality, should be or needs to be represented. More customization options is great, but please don’t think you need to see our world in their world.

5 Likes

Do real life Blood Elves have that skin tone?

1 Like

So black and brown people existing isn’t a problem I’m glad we’re agreed.

Blizzard has repudiated this stance, so I won’t be engaging further w it I just wanted to point that out for you.

3 Likes

And you already have that. The point, which you blatantly ignored to express your bias stance on this, is that a fantasy world in a video game doesn’t have to intrinsically include anything to be enjoyed by everyone. I didn’t see myself in the transformers or ninja turtles when I watched them, but I still thought they were cool. If you can’t enjoy a game for not being diverse or representative enough then you’re playing the game for the wrong reasons.

Again, you miss the point. Besides that, the Blizzard I see today is completely different than the one I knew when I started playing WoW in 2005. Interesting that classic WoW is so popular and has been since it was re-released. You know that game made by Blizzard way back in the day. Perhaps they should focus more on their roots and why people love the old stuff they made so much.

6 Likes

Lauding Classic over having less representation is not the argument I would have made :grimacing:

4 Likes

classic is popular because it lacks diversity is certainly an interesting take

4 Likes

Again, not the point. Why did so many people love classic WoW and why do you think so many people love it now? It has nothing to do with representation. It has everything to do with being a great game.

The argument was that it was no contributing factor at all, but now I know discernment isn’t your strong area.

1 Like

it’s a thread about representation. why else would you bring up classic WoW as an example in a discussion that pertains to representation if you weren’t trying to debunk it? hmmmmm?

1 Like

What more do you want at this point? Do you want a color palette so you can be any one of the millions of colors for any race you select? And besides that, my argument is that representation in a fantasy game is irrelevant to its fun value and success. Classic WoW is a good example of that. I played an Orc mostly back in those days. I’m not an Orc in real life. The idea of wanting more representation of our reality in a fantasy reality is strange to me.

You’re replying before you read my post, by the way.

4 Likes

Straight back undeads, worgen tails, more visage forms, night elves with more anatomically realistic proportions, i could go on.

I beg to differ. In a role playing game player expression and identity is one of the most important parts of the player experience.

Without that everyone might as well just be an array of seemingly unambiguous blobs of grey with DPS numbers flying everywhere.

Noooo, really?

if you say so :woozy_face: