Continued Diversity & Representation in Customization

Because of course making a universe where black and gay people literally don’t exist isn’t political, right??

6 Likes

If you want to think this deep about stuff like air and whatnot, explain how we’ve been to different planets, one of which was basically shattered, and were able to breathe just fine anyway and all these races from these different planets just happen to be able to breathe the same type of air. Air that wouldn’t be available in a place like outland because being as torn apart as it was I doubt it had an atmosphere.

At the end of the day this is a game so it doesn’t really matter. If traveling through space and time and being able to breathe fine on any planet doesn’t break your immersion then people of color shouldn’t.

Besides, humans came from Vrykul, and babies were just suddenly being born too small, so that evolution didn’t take very long. It wasn’t a gradual process. They didn’t get smaller over generations. It just happened.

5 Likes

Them existing is political, but not existing definitely isn’t political. Double standards are great.

2 Likes

Not that I would agree with it, but some would argue that it’s the change to add that is political.

Keeping things status quo and not adding or subtracting would be “normal”

Taking Deve time to create new (and ignore existing) could be why some consider it political - you get favored looks. Just like other looks were favored previously simply by being the only choice

It’s not much of a change though. Before cata changed the models, humans and I think some of the other races, including blood elves, did have darker tones. The change lightened them all.

Also I notice it’s just the races with human skin tones that get the backlash when darker tones are added or requested. I wonder why that is.

1 Like

It could also be that we never see anything that has darker skin tones as a default changed to lighter skin tones unless it’s a villain

:sparkling_heart:

I don’t know what what this means, but I’m guessing it’s something racist?

You admit you can’t understand basic English and also go on to assume someone is racist because you can’t understand what was written?

Or it means that no one cares about “lore” when people are requesting more skintones or getting more skintones if they aren’t human based skin tones getting some nice dark tones. Night elves got a few new skin colors, I didn’t see anything about needing lore justification for that.

1 Like

Also, instead of assuming it’s a racist viewpoint, maybe it’s because human is the ONLY race in game that exists in RL and has scientific reasons why people look different. Really easy to say why a dragon is red vs blue since none actually exist - and we STILL argue of it, just not as much

I guess for some it’s like the old adage, when you are a hammer all you see are nails.

2 Likes

It was poorly written and from what I can tell it’s either suggesting dark skinned people are villainous or it’s claiming white victimhood.

So yeah.

Humans in game aren’t the same as humans in real life though. They were rocks, then giants, then humans. It’s a big assumption to make that they would only be white based on evolution of real life humans.

4 Likes

They’re also biologically divergent from real humans. Last time I checked no human on earth could jump 30 metres and then crack the ground with the force of their landing.

3 Likes

Very true, however people are stupid. You can change the way humans evolved in WoW but people are not smart enough to get detected from their emotional connection to what they know IRL

Edit - just like some can only see racism in seeing things differently

well humans in game are spread all over azeroth. why wouldnt humans from theramore and tanaris have a wider range of skin colors?

1 Like

Some desired customizations can be completely lore-breaking.

1 Like

Well if people of color merely existing in a video game is so distressing they have some self reflection to do, and maybe should ask themselves why.

2 Likes

As the saying goes, when you’re used to privilege, equality feels like oppression. But when others are explaining it to them, they should change their tune as they learn and take in more information. Sadly quite a few are not open to that.

As I recall, from your posts on other topics, you’re actually one of those.

4 Likes

The real question is their idea of a “fantasy” world is a world where there’s no black or gay people. Like… ugh.

4 Likes