Continued Diversity & Representation in Customization

Both Rings of Power and House of the Dragon casting was fantastic. Shows were both great!

Warrior Galadriel is pure fan fiction

4 Likes

agent smith and v, plays elrond, the eternal elf with male pattern baldness. kin of asmongold, no doubt. hehe.

sorry i love this actor

1 Like

it was so good, it was on par with all the best classics and just gets better with age

1 Like

Ah LOTR. A once great epic, now a Hollywood fanfiction. Not even good fanfiction

I’m not sure which is worse, Shadowlands or Rings of Power

8 Likes

this video gives me goosebumps lol this dude was perfectly cast

1 Like

House of the Dragon = :+1:
Rings of power: :-1:

For anyone who has the knowledge of Tolkien’s work, Rings of Power is an awful adaptation by all means.
If it was labelled under a new fantasy license where having a diverse cast isn’t a problem, then i could have seen Rings of power decent
at best.
But this is an adaptation of Tolkien’s books, which is set in a certain setting.
It has to be respected so if they wanted that badly to hire a diverse cast, then a story around the Haradrim and the two blue mages could have worked.

It’s a perfect exemple of why doing diversity for the sake of it is bad, leading to a bad show.

Regarding WoW, it’s almost the case for the customizations options as the core races didn’t get any new options.
They were proud to add black skin for every race but the fact that we got nothing new since make me think that because of their internal problems, they did it to look good and that’s it.

Also, they didn’t do anything with these skins from a world building standpoint.
It will bleed the eyes and ears of many toxic people here, but in a fantasy game mixing every colours in every places defeat the purpose of a travel to new civilizations.

Black elves? Two lines to know the magic responsible for the color skin is enough.

As for the others color skins, i can perfectly see the islands of the Southern seas filled with black gnomes, dwarves and humans with their own civilizations.
Who would be against to see an equivalent of the Wakanda in WoW?

Again, using these color skins to build the world is good, adding them for the sake of it is bad as it means that the work was done only to make the devs feels good.

5 Likes

I keep thinking about this post lol I meant to reply but it’s true fr

3 Likes

3 Likes

TLDR to follow

I personally don’t get the notion of having to “See yourself” on screen whether it’s film, games, etc. Especially in a work of fiction/fantasy. I don’t need Lara Croft to be a Larry Croft to relate to them as a character.

Speaking more broadly

I’ve seen people want to make Clark Kent black. That’s not true diversity or representation. It’s reducing a character to tokenism. Especially when you already have a Superman of color (AKA President Superman).

That’s just one example. Game devs have even been attacked for a perceived lack of diversity/inclusion.

Take CDPR and Witcher 3. The devs were accused of being ists because there weren’t people of color in the game. Yet the work of the Sapkowski is set in a fantasy version of medieval poland where the population/race would have been predominantly those of fairer skin. But the Witcher books and lore do allow for those of darker complexion. You have the likes of Zerrikania or Ofier. We did see some of these peoples in the expansions. But their darker complexion is within the context of geographic location.

We can also look at Warhorse’s Kingdom Come Deliverance. Again the devs were attacked by the media for not having people of color. Despite the fact their game was set in 15th century Bohemia where the population would have been again predominantly white.

My point is not to conflate the above with that of WoW. Just to highlight what a lot of the push for more diversity and representation is more broadly across pop culture.

TLDR: With regards to WoW specifically

WoW being a fantasy game (and an MMO at that) means there is a bit more flexibility for customization because players generally appreciate more options over less. Humans of course make sense. They as a race in game have long been kind of an amalgamation. Even putting aside the idea of geographic locations. But I do think that with some races in WoW? Their skin color can be a bit more tied to their “racial identity” because of the lore.

I think there is a point where a skin tone can make a character no longer look like that race. Allow me to explain. If you make an orc with green skin? That orc is clearly an orc that is to some extent a result of the demon blood that caused that physiological change. If you make a brown orc like the allied race Mag-Har? They are a very specific kind of orc.

Or another good example is the void elves. There was a lot of discussion about high elves. Blizzard chose to make void elves probably because they didn’t feel high elves were different enough. So they kind of pulled these void elves out of nowhere. That said? People that were asking for high elves (myself included) were not asking for them just because of skin color. The high elves are a very specific set of elves. They are physically similar to blood elves. But they are elves that remained loyal to the Alliance. The blood elves themselves are fewer in number than highelves, and void elves are a further splinter of blood elves. People wanted high elves because of the lore associated with them. Blizzard kind of tried to pass it off as well blood elves are already high elves. That ignored the fact that there were large military factions like the silver covenant. You know the other faction that literally had a hand in kicking the Sunreavers out of Dalaran.

Let’s look at the Dark Iron Dwarves. Their skin is much more of a sooty/dark/ashen color. There are a number of variations of lesser or greater degrees. For a hypothetical scenario. What if you were to give a Dark Iron a lighter skin color? Would they still look like a Dark Iron?

There are a lot of other things to think about as well. To take the OP’s idea for hair as one example. I think there are some hairstyles that you could reasonably say humans and kul tirans/gilneans sharing hair styles. Even the disparate races might use similar hair styles. But some others I feel are a bit more nuanced. You wouldn’t see humans or elves adopting or wearing troll hairstyles I don’t think. I can already hear some folks bemoaning cultural appropriation.

In general more options are a net positive I feel for players. (Bust slider perhaps?) I would say though that there is some nuance and context to take into consideration when it comes to some fantasy races within WoW.

5 Likes

Rings of power for sure. Even with shadowlands there were a few nuggets you could extract that were pretty decent. A good mount here or there, nice looking zones. Some interesting story elements that were ultimately later undermined at the end. Given a choice? I’d even prefer Shadowlands to watching Rings of Power.

That’s a low bar I know

Hey I don’t get the notion of playing Alliance but that doesn’t mean that people who pick the inferior faction aren’t entitled to their opinion.

Some people do want to see themselves represented in-game.

? Where in the world did you get this

2 Likes

lol. I think you misspelled “Horde” :wink:

They can do as they please. But if people really want to see themselves represented in game? Maybe they should play a human?

2 Likes

Why do you care if there’s black elves and gnomes? Does it affect you?

Adding diverse options takes away nothing from people who don’t feel they need representation. It adds something for people who do want it.

I really need to side eye people so opposed to it.

2 Likes

Lore.

The Blood elves were a splinter faction that left the Alliance while the High Elves remained loyal to the alliance. (Again see Silver Covenant who have a major military presence in Dalaran and Northrend and several other areas throughout the world).

Yes there was the scourge. But you have to remember that the elves that went with Kael Thas were a fraction of the remaining High elves. So then you have the void elves who are a fraction of that fraction.

The lore says 90% of the race died with a further 90% of the survivors becoming blood elves.

1 Like

So

A lot of people opposed non void additions to void elves not as a point against diversity and representation but because the race already existed on the Horde. It was a faction visual uniqueness point, not people against the diverse options on BEs necessarily.

I’m just confused

To be clear you’re a High Elf fan, but against skin tone diversity on the various human skin toned races(?)

My stance is Blood Elves are High Elves and as a High Elf fan I play on the actual playable high elf race. But I still support more diverse options that are applicable to the other human skin toned races.

i’ve long believed that the silver covenant and earlier sunreavers are mostly half elves after 2000 years of interbreeding with humans, so human options could easily cross over to either blood or void elves also, even those void elves who are derived from high elf wayfarers and silvermoon scholars