Continuation of New Customisation Options for: Void Elves, Blood Elves, & misc high elves

Yes I’m posting pictures of Blood Elves, Blood Elves that I have spent hours , and I mean hours recoloring the hair one pixel at a time. Those three Blood Elves took over ten hours for me to color just the hair. I use the Blood Elf model, because it is the Void Elf model as well. Void Elves also have all the skin tones and faces. As the light blonde Blood Elf Hair is the easiest to color over I use that. The Shorter hair also takes less time. As those three colors aren’t specifically Blood Elf only, I see no reason why they cannot be used by Void Elves.

9 Likes

What program are you using?

You can recolor hair much faster than that using Photoshop or GIMP’s lasso tool to select the areas you want to recolor, then change the hue, saturation, brightness, contrast or even colorize the selected area to a specific color.

Paint 3D it came free with my computer. I don’t have a pen, so I’m stuck coloring with the computers mouse. I have a pen :pen: on my Christmas wish list, right behind decent customizations for Blood Elves, void Elves, and all the other races that need them.

1 Like

GIMP is free, and you can just use the lasso with a mouse to select what you want. You don’t have to hold the mouse in the whole time and drag it along the selection, you can draw a shape with a series of clicks. You can also reposition each point on the selection supposing you haven’t finished the selection yet.

1 Like

Thank you I will try that. Working with 3D pant is a pain. Anything easier would be a plus, I had. Mild stroke a few years back and it damaged some of the nerves and muscles in the right side of my face. My right eyes at times won’t move as fast as my left, or it will just freeze. Coloring hair when you are having double vision, doesn’t come out pretty, lol.

1 Like

You’re welcome, and I’m sorry to hear that.

If you need any help with getting the hang of the program, let me know.

One useful tip for recoloring things is that when trying to lighten or darken a color, especially if you’re trying to make something into black or white, adjusting the contrast can really help make it look better.

For example, I find to make something white I generally have to increase the contrast or it will look strange.

3 Likes

I use a positively ancient program called PhotoFiltre. I’ve had it for decades…
http://www.photofiltre.com/

And even that lets me do stuff like:

https://i.imgur.com/XJqSSX0.jpg

I can just use the mouse cursor to trace a specific section and recolor it with the various Brightness/Contrast, Hue/Saturation, and Color Balance options.

That’s now I can recolor just the hair like this:

https://i.imgur.com/ExXTvHB.jpg

1 Like

4 Likes

I agree with Lance, GIMP is great. I use it for all my mockups.

3 Likes

Thank you both, you are both really awesome.

5 Likes

yeah i use the mouse too. i have an old copy of paintshop pro 8. it has lasso tool. can download old versions of software. this is old paintshop 8
http://www.oldversion.com/windows/paint-shop-pro-8-10
i think this is a demo. might only work for a month or so.
what i did was when one version expired, i’d download an earlier or later one. anything after 8.10 is new company took over. program got really complicated. so i just downloaded all of them up to 8.10, one at a time. then realized i had it on disk from years ago lol.

1 Like

https://i.gifer.com/E3Th.gif
that feeling you get when you spend 15 minutes waiting for your moniter to start working. Then you look to the side and notice that your tower is turned off.

9 Likes

I’ve been there!

2 Likes

I’ve been doing a lot of photoshop work for a mod I’ve been working on (just made it to the front page of steam workshop today boiiiiiiii). Check out paint(dot)net. It’s open source so people have designed tonnes of content for it. Literally anything any other program can do, paint(dot)net can too. You just have to find the right plugins for the job.

Oh yeah and it’s free.

4 Likes

Thank you, I will look into that site as well, anything that doesn’t require coloring pixel, by pixel is good.

My first attempt at using Gimp and the lasso tool. I just have yet to figure out how to get the selection to save when I’ve finished coloring it in. It will continue to show the outlined area until I use the lasso on another area.

8 Likes

While Gimp may be a different program from Photofiltre, look above at my screenshot of Photofiltre. When I finish coloring something with the lasso, I double click the the little dotted-line-square-with-an-arrow-in-thecorner icon that just below the ? (the last selection) of the menu bar at the top. Gimp may have a similar icon you can click to remove the dotted highlight.

1 Like

Copy the selection to a new layer. Then you can highlight the background in that layer (which will be alpha) and select the Invert Selection option in the Select menu. Then navigate to the layer you wish to recolour that shape on.

Or you can just make copies of the hair layer you made and edit the colour on them.

3 Likes

Gonna support this. Always make your edits non destructive and in a separate layer.

2 Likes

Clicking off from the selection should clear it if you’re selected on the Rectangle Select tool. So when you’re finished, select the Rectangle Select tool (it’s the one you start on) and click somewhere else on the image.

This should de-select, but if it doesn’t you can use the toolbar at the top, under the Select heading there should be an option for Select None. Click this and it will de-select everything.

2 Likes

Smashing escape deselects your current selection in painto dotto netteru as well.

3 Likes