Community Council Needs to be Anonymous

No one has a problem with this as long as it’s not just one type being evil (it’s happened), them exclusively being evil, or the only ones dying glorious or inglorious deaths (also happened).

A large pool of representation would have a proper variety and no protective bubbles needed.

The issue comes about when it’s ONLY that orientation or race being any of the above depicted.

1 Like

That is totally fair, and in all honesty I missed that thread’s blow-up. I only heard about it anecdotally in threads like this, and only saw the above post I quoted. If you’ve already acknowledged the wording could have been better, which you did, then all told there shouldn’t be any issues.

Sorry for any inconvenience this might have caused you.

1 Like

OYAY! So I’m not losing my mind! :smiley:

I mean… at least not in this sense. >.>

1 Like

Just because it was a caricature doesn’t mean it wouldn’t or shouldn’t be popular.
A caricature is a caricature.

Sure because they were meant to be taken as offensive. You take a real people, and their real name… then depict them as actual monsters to be faced by British dudes in incredible shape pretending they are greeks. :stuck_out_tongue:

If you are talking about references to Persia like Zoroastrianism, popular tropes like the Immortals, King of Kings, etc… sure. Blizzard is free to use references. They already have Djinns in the game. Doesn’t bother me :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, from what I have seen when this label of representation is pinned on a character literally anything is done with them it is controversial. Like Pelagos becoming the frigging god of shadowlands is apparently transphobic according to some.
Like… can we even compare real transphobia to Pelagos becoming the arbiter? Really?

Anyway my verdict is leave pelagos alone. No character should be placed in a protective bubble and there is no need to make 50% of characters part of a minority to hedge our chances and allow some of them to be evil or killed off.
People need to grow up and stop treating these characters or races as reflections of themselves or group. Nothing good can come of it.

But what if they used

As their portrayal? Would you be offended by that?

Say Blizzard makes a race or culture inspired by Islam, and portrays them as terrorists. Would you consider that to be a problem?

Because that’s the issue people are having with trolls, goblins, and tauren currently.

1 Like

I think a great example is the Tol’vir and Uldum.
Back in Cataclysm one of my buds was egyptian. He loved it. Despite us killing lots of egyptian looking motifs over and over and over again.

Is blizzard being explicit about it or inspired by it? I would have to see it to judge it. But if you are using the Horde as an example… no. Please.

If its about making races into villains no one has been hit harder than Orcs and Forsken. All other horde races pale in comparison. Who are these races supposed to represent?
Because I don’t see anything. I barely see references as it is.

Rather I was seeing criticism of why Blizzard allowed Dazaralor to get raided because… racism. :man_facepalming:

There are four fronts who are fighting against each other when it comes to representation:

• People who want to feel included into society
  • People who do not want to get things shoved down their throats which breeds resentment
  • People who uses toxic behavior to justify their points (both sides)
  • People who use inclusiveness as a trend to exploit people and make money

Pair this with the current sensible society who cannot take a hit without feeling offended and you have one of the most obnoxious discussions you can have in this generation. Unfortunately though both sides push this topic beyond common sense and believe their way is the only valid one.

And not everyone can write a good representation (Steven Universe, Cobra Kai) and often it ends in a chaos which insults people (Ghostbusters 2016, apparently the new Lord of the Rings series).

2 Likes

Whats wrong with the new Lord of the Rings thing?

I say just include them. Make new characters and treat them like any other character and ignore all the trolls on twitter. They never mattered and never will.

Maybe that’s fair, but the tolvir aren’t portrayed as largely evil, or primitive.

Let’s phrase it this way. The vast majority of trolls, unlike say, the night elves, are written as primitive, tribalistic “savages” that at worst, deserve to be pushed to extinction for their evil ways. At best, they are meant to get over their lost lands even though the alliance races pursue theirs. Seeing as how trolls are inspired by a mix of Caribbean and South American people, it’s problematic. Being seen as lesser or evil has been used to justify colonialism and slavery.

The vast majority of goblins are seen as greedy, manipulative, and self destructive. While that doesn’t have to be based on bigotry, there have been tweets from former and current workers that have made accusations of antisemitism.

1 Like

Apparently already “cancelled” on twitter for changing too much.

Too woke and too many changes from the original story. I have no opinion on it so far. There are some screenshots from an US magazine called Variety and tomorrow evening will also drop the first trailer during the Super Bowl commercials.

Until the fanbase starts to get toxic on both sides again. The Anduin-topic was a great example about this the past days.

I like how you included the side that has a problem with LGBTQ+ peoples existing and included them at the table as if they had a valid stance.

People existing isn’t up for debate or a valid disagreeing opinion.

This feels like a pertinent quote tbh

5 Likes

Best approach to dealing with toxicity is just to argue the point.
As for Andiun becoming gay… I don’t like this idea because if he were gay he would be unable to continue the Wrynn bloodline and that would be the end of the Arathor line.
Kinda sucks when the whole identity of Stormwind humans is that of medieval kingdom.

If Andiun is going to be the last of the Wrynn line he better go out in an explosion like his father did. At least thats my take.

And yet we were killing a lot of them. Some were evil and some weren’t.
For couple of dungeons and raids we were killing Egyptian gods references. Also all of the Horde is not unilateral shown as evil neither.

Why is that bad?
Is every race supposed to be space faring like the draenei to no be offensive? The trolls have incredible magic and ride dinosaurs into battle who shoot lasers out of their face.
I think the trolls look cool, they look threatening, powerful and full of mystic. The dungeons I most fondly remember are Sunken Temple and Zul Farrak.

Night Elves are meant to get over a genocide. Humans of Lordaeron lost Lordaeron. Theramore lost their land, Gilneans lost their land and so on. Why is it ok for all this to happen to Alliance races but problematic when it comes to the trolls?
The whole setting for the trolls ever since the start of the game was of old fallen empires.
It would make for a boring story if everyone was space faring and had no problems sources of conflict.

And there lies the problem with people pinning the label of “representation”
It is not problematic. Otherwise you are saying its never alright to combine influences from South American cultures with anything related to land lost in any story. Its preposterous.

The only people that enslave people in wow are Goblins and Orcs. Namely their own people or whom they view as inferior.

Or you could simply ignore the toxic fanbase.

It doesn’t matter what kind of representation he has, the problem is rather that this is the only interesting aspect people are discussion about him: His sexuality and with whom he might jumps into a bed. The focus should rather being wow-centered about his character traits. WoW is more story-driven rather character-driven: The writers plan the key moments out rather establish a character on their own.

As a writer you can easily create a storyline if you know your characters in and out, the rest comes naturally. WoW would need an approach of both methods to have a more compelling storyline but they are too focused to make inGame moments story-driven while the books are too character-driven.

He is the main character of WoW, he isn’t going anywhere.

1 Like

must not be many applicants

1 Like

I love how Karamo talks about just… being who you are and that it’s not about getting anyone’s permission. There’s a video in that Tweet that I like.

2 Likes

True. There were only about 10K or so.

source or we just gotta take your word?

How about a bit respect for Mirasol?
It took me literally one second to google “world of warcraft council 10.000” to get the first hit.

With the start of the new year, we wanted to provide an update on the WoW Community Council and the progress we are working toward as we continue to review the over ten thousand applications we’ve received.

They recently made the number public but, the challenge is finding it. I did not bookmark it. Previous to that it was internal data.

EDIT

Found it! It as one of the News Blogs they have started posting.

1 Like

That was a very heartfelt video with a nice message!

1 Like