Code of conduct is misleading

Can a CM look up my latest ticket and tell me exactly which part of the code of conduct matches the violation of “obscene language” and compare that to the post I made which was flagged? I am having a real hard time finding a valid word or phrase that was deemed “obscene”

I am unable to re-open it and ask for clarification from the Game Master who was assigned and refused to reverse it.

I've read the code of conduct over and over multiple times and it's just not very clear and feels loosely written in terms of why my post was flagged yesterday which gave me a 24 hour silence.

CM’s don’t look up tickets. CM means Community Manager, they’re liaisons with the development team, and don’t come to the support forums. GMs also don’t come to the support forums, or any forums. In fact, the forums are not a direct means of contacting Blizzard support at all. They’re for players to talk to other players.

Can appeal as much a you want until you’re told to stop. However, I have a feeling you know full well what you said that earned you your penalty.

5 Likes

I know what I said and It doesn’t match what is considered “obscene” , I’ve showed this to several colleagues and even college professors who also agree with me that it’s not obscene. I won’t post it here for obvious reasons but I assure you.

If I thought I deserved the penalty I wouldn’t be here wasting time.

2 Likes

it Depends on why the players flagged it, it’s hard to judge why not knowing your post history, as it’s hidden.

Also keep in mind that this isn’t a contact point for the moderation team, that appeals are not accepted via the forums, and if your wondering CS forums are mainly players talking to other players, if you are wondering why we answered the post.

3 Likes

I’m sure you have.

To answer your question: Discriminatory language, swearing, references to bodily functions and organs, and sometimes references to illegal drugs. Those are the things Blizzard deems obscene.

Think you deserved =/= know what you did wrong. Keep in mind that even the SFAs here do have logs of everything, so attempts to feign innocence or ignorance often end poorly.

Ultimately there’s nothing you can do over the forums. Appeal, that’s it.

3 Likes

Something does not have to be actually “obscene” to be lumped into that category. It can contain other forms of inappropriate language.

Just be nice to people. Don’t go into personal insults - debate the topic not the human. Don’t use language that is racist, sexist, nationalist, etc - it is inflammatory and we all know better. Same goes for religion and politics. Don’t go there on a gaming forum. Just like the old etiquette rules say never to bring those topics up at a dinner party or in polite company.

9 Likes

there’s no point in continuing I guess, I was counting on those who can read logs to do so to further prove my point that the code of conduct is loosely written and these punishments are going way over board and I did not deserve it. If I thought there was even a smidge of obscenity I would not of come here but this is getting out of hand and I just wanted a second opinion but it’s moot cause I cannot re-post it without seeing another silence which I don’t want.

2 Likes

The only way to get another opinion is by appealing it. The blues here don’t deal with account actions and they’re not really into the habit of fighting for someone on an account action.

1 Like

It’s possible that an will SFA see this and takes a look at it for you. However, know that isn’t the point of this forum, there’s no guarantee they will. Also, understand that they will have no hand in changing the penalty; it will just be possible insight into why/what transpired.

Conduct policy often is vague.

First it’s not possible to describe everything that is or isn’t considered a violation. Second, even if such detail is attempted, it results in people being able to find loopholes/allow them to exploit because ‘it’s not explicitly stated’. Thus, it’s often left vague to allow for extrapolation.

If you’ve appealed and it’s been upheld, then more than one GM reviewed your actions and all agreed it was warranted. What we think or believe is not what the system is based on. It’s what Bliz wants when it comes to behavior that counts.

3 Likes

Oh, found it - not hard.

“Jokes” about self-harm are never considered appropriate, Zanidrel.

24 Likes

Are you serious? I see that all the time over the forums. It’s kinda like a meme now when things are so bad you say that. It not actually something I would ever do…

1 Like

Nor did we think you would - or you’d have had someone knocking on your door.

Still is NEVER going to be considered appropriate on our forums. If you see it, please do report it.

13 Likes

Thanks, this really changes my attitude about these forums. I mean this is really nit picky but thanks for telling me , I know you didn’t have to.

3 Likes

Blizzard takes threads of self harm or harm to others very very seriously and that has resulted in many lives saved. Not kidding. Never ever joke about it. People really need to stop and think about the story of the boy who cried wolf. When the wolf really came nobody believed him because they had heard false claims too often. Joking, making light of, and falsely using self harm or harm to others, only hurts those who have real issues and wastes resources.

Don’t do it.

8 Likes

OK
<10 characters>

Doesn’t make it right.

3 Likes

That wasn’t what I was getting at, my point is I didnt think it was such a crime or frowned upon but now I know. Kay?

1 Like

I have had some issues with recent forum posts, but I’m probably not allowed to go into details unfortunately. I will say this, I am always meticulous about following forum rules.

If it’s about action that’s already taken because of those posts, no. That’s against the rules.

If it’s because those posts are currently up, that’s what flagging them is for.

I didn’t say anything about action with all due respect, I wish I could just say what is on my mind but I can’t and it is quite frustrating.