Classic TBC Prot Pally Threat Issue

Flamestrike ground effect causes threat. But so does consecrate sometimes, I would probably need to test flamestrike long enough to give it a fair test.

If we can get enough people to test flamestrike threat and confirm it affects that too then that is good evidence towards my hypothesis that the game is somehow failing at assigning threat back to the player when damage originates from a ground effect spell. If that isn’t it then it must be something specific to the consecrate ability.

I was wondering why my threat was randomly just non existent. Made for a real embarrassment on the first boss in Kara this week. Which should NEVER be a problem since he’s undead.

1 Like

“Working as intended” As a pally tank I am not enjoying Conc being useless. Especially with the 2 set of Righteous/Libram…

That would explain the random threat loses in the second half of SP on my pally last night.

Same issue here. Hopefully this gets fixed since the only reason I’m playing Prot is because I can tank easily in dungeons…

We’ve been working on this issue since it was first reported Saturday night, and this morning we’ve now found a good way to reproduce it so that we can continue toward finding a fix (hopefully).

Thanks to everyone who reported it with details!

12 Likes

thank you!!!

The bug is from dying inside of TK dungeons, as soon as you are forced repsawned the trigger happens and ground effects no longer cause threat

Hi Kaivax,

My group was able to reproduce this bug pretty consistently last night. Through experimentation, we also discovered that the bug itself is also tied to Righteous Fury. When Righteous Fury is on, Consecrate generates no threat. When it is off, Consecrate DOES generate threat. Dying while Righteous Fury is on is the cause for the bug, at least for us, and it didn’t matter if we were in an instance or not.

The temporary fix for this was to have the tank exit the game client and wait for 60 seconds before opening the game client again and coming back. That fixed it every time.

I hope this helps!

6 Likes

The problem is just dying itself with RF active not TK dungeons. Ran Kara last night, died and consecrate no longer generated aggro causing my mage and warlock to die on trash a few times. Logging out and back in after waiting upwards of a minute fixes the problem until you just die again. My brother and I ran a Heroic Shadow Labs and after my first death after relogging my consecration generated no aggro again which made me close the game and relaunch after every single death.

I have noticed this as well, even when I pass somebodies threat it takes multiple second for the mob to actually register me as the top threat and go after me, it is confusing the crap out of me provoking righteous defense uses or me chasing mobs who just simply dont acknowledge threat for a little bit, pulling me out of position…etc.

I don’t think it is. I’ve wiped in Mechanar and had no issues with threat the rest of the dungeon. Meanwhile, I’ve not been able to do a BM in 2 days because I generate no threat on the portal adds and the priest healers just rip them off me with 3k heals.

2 Likes

I haven’t done enough BM runs to confirm there’s an actual issue, but what I think might be happening is that healing threat isn’t being properly split between the adds. If a healer casts a 3k heal, he should do 1500 threat split between each of the enemies he’s in combat with. It sure feels like instead, he’s doing 1500 threat to each individual add. I’ve gone to BM a couple of times with underleveled dps, and each time, the healer generated so much threat that a shield slam and revenge (my two highest single target threat abilities) weren’t enough to pull a single one of the triple whelp adds off him right after they spawned.

Most groups though have enough dps to kill the rift lords before people start taking so much damage that healer threat becomes an issue. It makes it kind of hard to diagnose since I hate the dungeon and don’t want to spend time wiping there to figure out exactly what’s going on.

Maybe. All I know is that any BM I did prior to this weekend I’ve had 0 issues with threat and could hold it on ele shammies pulling 600-800 dps without salv.

1 Like

Honest priest heal threat is broken IMO as well. How is the priest heals always second agro even with pumper dps in the group.

2 Likes

I think it is 100% random. Wiped in kara Saturday night. Came back in to do the back side and my threat was gone. Then the next morning did all of the TK dungeons with no threat. Then BM still with the issue. Finally last night it returned on our 2nd BM and was good thru SH and Slabs a few times.
No idea what is wrong but its a bad feeling enter a 5 man wondering if your going to be god mode or work your butt off to be crap

1 Like

I’ve noticed the same thing with priest threat. One flash heal and I rip aggro from Ele shaman spamming lightning bolt. Seems absurdly off.

I also am experiencing the same thing

The bug is triggered when you die with RF on, and then release spirit. Any time our tank dies but I resurrect him, he is fine.

Tanks, to avoid the bug, if you die, DO NOT RELEASE.