Classic (Lack of RP-PvP)

Blizzard has announced that there will likely not be RP-PvP upon the launch of Classic. I know to a lot of you it may not matter, or you may have no interest in Classic whatsoever, but if you do intend to play and would like to show your support to have Blizzard add RP-PvP servers at launch please visit

and

https:// www .change.org/p/blizzard-what-many-are-trying-to-achieve-is-getting-an-rp-pvp-server-when-wow-classic-releases

Thank you!

4 Likes

I’ve seen change .org abused a lot, but this takes the freakin’ cake, man.

1 Like

To a point I think it doesn’t affect the game-experience in a monumental way, however for the purposes of choosing a server I think it should definitely be incorporated as an option for players who want to pursue RP as a viable way to play the game, and of course there being a desire to PvP as well it’s not a massive ask at all. Blizzard can always remove a RP-PvP server as well if the population is seen as being too minimal like they’ve had to do in the past…thoughts?

1 Like

nah i’m good thank you though

2 Likes

Why not just PvP on the RP server?

2 Likes

It’s a deeper, more complex issue than just being flagged 24/7 on an RP server.

… but why do you people keep coming to
the Wyrmrest-accord board???

On the US client of the webpage you have to SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM.

Is there like a search function that just grabs topics and keywords and directs you there?

Edit: yes i know its an rp server with a lot of people who rppvp but this is a classic WoW topic

3 Likes

It’s because, when you’re on the front page of the forums (the “All Catagories” page), it forces you to select a catagory for your new thread to go in. In a stunning example of modern website design, Wyrmrest Accord is the first option on this list for…no reason, as far as I can tell.

For some reason they sort realm forums before General, PvP, Story, etc. and we appear to be the realm forum with the most traffic. That’s as far as the logic goes.

6 Likes

The point of an RP PvP server is to have cross faction rivalries happen organically, without the need of any sort of organization. Imagine it being something like 2 people randomly looking at each other, beating each other to death because they’re both flagged, and then they call their guilds. BUT they also do a little RP story because of that.

Basically, the server becomes a salty spitoon and it’s a pretty good and fun time. Just sometimes you want some world pvp happening while having rp at the same time.

4 Likes

I’m not really seeing what part of that is prevented by an RP server.

1 Like

I think what their pointing towards is a more natural environment for PvP as-per a PvP server and from that, RP-dynamics are drawn - like if you’re casually walking down the path; player jumps out and destroys you, says a little RP-thing - happens repeatedly, then a storyline-esque scenario occurs in which this guild community has been killed off by said-pker. Now there’s a role playing dynamic of sworn enemy of the community…if you’re flagged you have to ask the player for RP-sake to turn on the flag instead of it being automatically woven into the scenario…not my cup of tea but I get why people would want this option - perhaps push more for ONLY Rp-PvP servers?

1 Like

Wouldn’t you not even be able to understand them?

And again isn’t all this still possible on an RP server?

1 Like

If the server is Rp-PvP they don’t need to choose to flag themselves for PvP or not flag themselves, world PvP is not a choice on a PvP realm in classic WoW - again the more I’m thinking about this, if a realm is technically RP-associated, players shouldn’t have a choice whether or not they’re flagged for PvP, they should already be flagged no matter what. If you’re playing a role you should as a player be given free reign over what you can and can’t do, the consequences of which are reinforced by the community (guilds, surrounding players, etc)

1 Like

So it’s more about making sure that nobody can opt out of PvP…

The “organization” mentioned is just consent, then. It sounds like the only difference is a choice being taken away from you in one.

2 Likes

You are consenting to PvP when you join a RP-PvP. It’s not really forced on you, since you can choose to play on Normal, PvP, or RP servers. RP servers have their own restrictions enforced by players and mods to (mostly in the form of player names), but “PvP on” is easier to enforce via a simple switch than “RP on”, as it’s less subjective.

I feel for you OP. Hope they do release a dedicated RP-PvP server, although I’m concerned about whether there’d be enough numbers for them to feel like they have to meet the demand. Online petitions are one thing. They’ll probably be looking at who’s actually PvP’ing and what communities end up forming.

3 Likes

You have the option to not roll on such a server. By entering an RP PvP server, you consent that you will be ganked, you will be killed anywhere. And that it’s completely okay. And sometimes you just want to smash heads. ICly of course.

That’s something that can’t be done on a regular RP server. What RP PvP people want is an environment where it’s a designated RP realm, in addition to having everyone being flagged. Giving a more risky environment for cross faction RP.

If you don’t want to roll on such a server, that’s completely up to you. But having the option for people who enjoy RP PvP to roll on a server that’s designated as an RP PvP server would be absolutely nice for those who don’t mind an environment like that.

4 Likes

Sorry the organization is just making sure you can’t opt out. Is what I should have said.

I just don’t see the difference. If you want to PvP, flag up, if not, you’re also free not to. Rather than dealing in absolutes.

The key thing is that you also have the option of not rolling on such a server if you don’t want to. But RP PvP servers are for those who don’t mind world PvP and RP together. In addition, it will attract like minded people who both like world PvP and RP and want to see it happen organically.

More options has not harmed anyone.

Also Classic has the caveat that in a PvP realm, you cannot roll the opposite faction. So in an RP PvP realm, a Horde player will not be able to play as Alliance and vice versa.

2 Likes

Okay but I’m saying the difference is being togglable, and being locked in forever.

I can understand why they chose the one they did.

Edit: they did warmode for a reason. It’s far too punishing and unreasonable to lock someone into being flagged forever, to too many players.

They’re not going to add those servers immediately because there’s no guarantee that Classic is going to be profitable enough to support what are already sparse realms. Each realm costs them money, and they’re not making Classic to support the community, they’re doing it as a business to make cash. There’s a market for it, and they’re catering to it. There’s nothing wrong with that, that’s their job. They do some stupid things with that cash… But oh well.

Classic would have to be around for at least a year or two before they considered making a decision like that. And it might not be. People somehow got it in their heads that everything’s going to go back to the good old days when their old, favorite game comes back out, and it won’t. They’re going to play it, realize that their friends still don’t play, that their guild might have the same name but not the same people, and that they’re not going to feel like the 5 year old kid playing in their dad’s lap again. That’s half of what an MMO is.

There will always be exceptions to that kind of thing, and there will absolutely be old gamers that stick with the old game and new gamers that like how different it is and keep playing… But the other stuff is what’s going to happen to a majority of players coming back for Classic. The company is going to see a huge number of players the first few months, and then it’s going to peter out. I would be pleasantly surprised if Classic isn’t shut down after 5 years or so. The term ‘gimmick’ has kind of a bad rep to it, but Classic WoW is very much a gimmick and those don’t usually have an extended shelf life.

Hope I can be proved wrong on this one. I’m okay with people pointing and laughing at me if I am.

Yes, and the server is reserved for people who do want to be toggled permanently. Even in home cities. And want all around riskier environment. Because being toggled in an RP PvE realm is not risky at all, since people seldom do flag.

But there’s a sense of danger that comes from a PvP realm. Everyone’s flagged, it’s pretty much kill or be killed, and that’s the excitement, and the adrenaline. Everyone’s a target, including you.

That’s what RP PvP servers aim for. An extremely risky environment to RP in. Where people can kill you at a drop randomly. And where you can kill them. The stories you can put out with something like that.

Just look at Ravenhul and his stories!

3 Likes