Classic + is the only way, doing TBC and onward would be horrible!

People did come running but I don’t recall ever experiencing more than a handful of players fighting for those nodes. Those were actually pretty cool battle sites, too. I more so remember the large scale battles were players battling from Thrallmar to HH, and some pretty good skirmishes in SmV, but every servers different.

But it still paled in comparison to what was the norm in Vanilla. We didn’t need nodes to be set up to bring people to a fight. Pretty sure Blizz just did that to appear like they cared about WPvP when in actuality it was an attempt to control where it happened. Less people flying around ganking lowbies or raiding towns, the happier the players are who (for whatever reason role PvP servers) get upset about dying or they can’t turn in a quest because the towns under attack.

1 Like

Except there’s no ebb and flow when someone can just peace out into the sky, or all of a sudden a bunch of dudes you couldn’t target before just decide to land and mess you up. There’s no battle lines.

I’d take a modded version of TBC with the day 1 class balance (closest to vanilla before homogenization concessions made for arena) without flying, without resilience, without arenas and with a PVP rating based on battlegrounds.
Pretty much everything that made TBC so different from vanilla removed.

1 Like

I remember on my Normal server, there were still plenty of times when chat would blow up saying that Alliance were attacking Orgrimmar, or rallying people to sack Stormwind.

I think part of the problem, Nosfentor, is that it is the same as talking about TV. Back in the day, there were three stations. You didn’t like those stations? Well, deal with it, or turn off the TV. Then, you had cable, which added in a dozen stations, with more variety. Now, we have hundreds of stations, with all kinds of different offerings.

Interest in PvP didn’t die off, but it simply was the case that people weren’t force to choose between ABC, CBS, and NBC. In Vanilla, you didn’t really have a choice for PvP except TM vs SS, city raiding, or random ganking. New options gave people new possibilities. And it turns out that a lot of people preferred those new offerings.

So perhaps the pre-battleground world PvP of Vanilla was primarily due to people simply not having anything better to do?

1 Like

I have been putting a lot of thought into Classic and its future.

The only way i see classic surviving long time is what some people are calling classic +.

The game needs to branch off into a completely new direction. While i did love TBC i think its ultimately going to hurt classic.

Just my 2 cents.

1 Like

The fact that the lore period in WC3 and my suggestion are the same is irrelevant.

But if you must put it that way, sure, put WC3 in the WOW engine and lets do it.

You make it sound like WC3 has WOW graphics and is an MMORPG

True, more options, but they inevitably tuned gear drops for PvP to rely on Arenas/BG’s. I’m all for more options, but I disagree on how they were implemented. The organic PvP is what I, personally, enjoyed. And I know a lot of players who prefer that, as well.

You could have BGs, Arenas, etc but you don’t have to leave the city to even attend these, which makes less people go out in the world and then before long, it’s at retail level of emptiness.

Dunno, man. I saw plenty of people out in the world in TBC and Wrath. There was, however, a lot less ganking once people could just get away from things. I think what you mean to say is that there were fewer people doing the style of game you liked, because they had options they preferred.

Yup! The only question is when and if they will be done as stand alone servers or added to the classic ones…

The overwhelming positive response to classic has guaranteed they will do BC and LK.

1 Like

Alright man, sure. Doesn’t change what my point was: that it all added up to the decline of WPvP and world interaction in general.

No, they added up to the decline of your style of WPvP, and your style of world interaction. Like I said, I personally saw plenty of people out in the world during TBC and Wrath. I personally saw some epic skirmishes over capture sites in Outland. I personally saw some awesome battles in wintergrasp. I personally helped raid Stormwind and defend Orgrimmar. All on a Normal server.

And… how about now?

Actually, there’s been some consistent world PvP in Nazjatar now that they’ve added War Mode in.

But if you’re talking about community and people interacting? Then that’s not because of flying, but because of making the open world easy enough you don’t need to group, server merges/megaservers, and LFD/LFR, which make it so you don’t have to interact with people at all.

1 Like

Alright, but flying was just one of my reasons listed. Also, it’s quite possible our experiences were a lot different in terms of PvP. On Emerald Dream it was night and day conflict. /3 pings in damn near every zone. With each expansion that faded. MoP we got a lot of organized WPvP together and that revitalized that type of PvP, drawing a lot of like minded players to ED. But nothing like it was in the past. The game was already predominantly instance based.

Having rage quitted Legion launch due to the Oceania daylight drama and just now re-subbed to try Classic, IMO it should go like this:

1. Have each expac as its own “Classic” server so to speak. So everyone has their preferred version.

2. Given population would be an issue if we start to fragment WoW, then the solution is if you start say a level 1 char on current Classic server, then you should be able to copy a max level char up to next expac “Classic” server i.e. 60 in Vanilla Classic -> 60 in TBC Classic and so on… THIS I think is very important, as you won’t have to do it all again for say TBC Classic if you want to try it out (and feel like you are wasting your life lol). This worries me about diving far into Classic right now, who knows what will happen.

3. This is the most important… Blizz TRY and FIX Retail. This is a big ask - they fixed daylight for Oceania sort of, but my god the BFA class feel sucks. Having joined at WoD launch, I am now DEEPLY shocked to learn I can use pretty much any weapon in Classic for all classes and mix trees as well - things like this need to go back into Retail ASAP. The LFR thing isn’t a big deal in my view, let people play as they like, no its the awful class design that is killing Retail. If I want to make a spellsword that can also shoot a freaking gun I should be able too lol. This is the ONE thing ESO gets right. Rigid classes have no place in 2019, it is an age of individualism, amazing Blizz KNEW this 15 years ago.

So yeah Blizz that will fix everything - just do it!

I agree that doing the “progression server” thing defeats the purpose of having a “WoW Classic”. By all means, add more content within in the context of this version of the game and time line, but don’t once again invalidate levels 1 - 60 by adding another xpac and 10 more levels, because that paradigm sucks.

I’d be on board for Vanilla, BC, and WotLK servers though. Cataclysm was what wrecked the game though, so I don’t see a point of making servers beyond that point (I left during MoP beta). However, doing this would dramatically dilute the population, likely to the point of being unplayable even after aggressive server mergers. There are only so many people willing to play the game.

Personally, I think the best way to go is to take all that awesome lore and all those great art assets and use them as the basis for completing the existing world. Add new level 1 - 60 zones and dungeons, and make some new “sideways progression” raids that have different looking gear with different arrangements of stats. That would still play the same as WoW Classic, there would just more of it to play.

Class Balance? I think it would be wise to just fix any bugs and use better gear itemization to smooth out any rough areas. Don’t change the way the game is played.

QoL? Things like the calendar and putting the ?! on the mini map are more what I would consider “polish” than things that change the game play. “Little things” like that, without going overboard, would be nice.

you make some good points. agreed on most

1 Like

blizzard will release as stand alone games. Blizzard is trying to have the private server players come back. With the possibility of having the servers shut down.

1 Like

You mean having the private servers shut down right? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I like this idea. I tried playing Warcraft 3 a few years ago. I just couldn’t get into it. I think a prequel would be a cool idea. I mean where else they gonna go in retail. We’ve already visited other planets,battled demons, destroyed mythical creatures, and allowed elves to take over wow.