Classic is nerfed on beta

That more or less describes all the original content (pre-naxx) that got nerfed over time both directly and indirectly so that new players could catch up to the pack.

I think people are finally starting to understand that Xan, Harland and I were not crazy after all.

When have you ever seen Blizzard change something like that once it hits beta? You’ll have a hard time finding that time.

1.12 is vanilla, though. What it was for the majority of its life cycle is irrelevant. 1.12 is the last patch, so that’s what they’re using.

There’s nothing in the decision to use 1.12 that involves it being the best choice, or the most memorable patch, or anything of the sort. It is picked solely because it was the last patch, for better or for worse.

The only other option is to recreate vanilla completely. 1.1 talents, itemization, balancing, etc, and going through all of that again is not particularly appealing to me, or many others I’d imagine.

Nothing worse than looting a green item that looks like trash and having to look up if it’ll be your BiS when it gets turned into an overbudgeted blue in a few months.

1 Like

Okay this thread needs to die, the levels of toxic salt in here are way too high. What an awful thread to read.

I don’t see any toxicity besides your claim of it…

2 Likes

Honestly, AV is a great example of something they can toy around with and do some changes with.

AV isn’t some sacred and perfect relic, and I personally feel like 1.12 AV is less vanilla than a haphazardly re-designed AV. 1.12 AV to me seems more like retail than anything else in the game, so I’m absolutely not interested in preserving it. Gonna watch some streams to be 100% sure of this.

It’d take too much time to actually add NPCs, even if it wasn’t exactly like pre-1.12 unfortunately…

But like I’ve said before, AV isn’t make-or-break for me. Am I disappointed? Absolutely. Will I boycott AV due to it? My purpose will be more practically based than enjoyment based…but no.

:frowning:

1 Like

Blizzard could easily give us a frankenpatch AV with elements from 1.6 to 1.12. It can’t be that difficult to code some extra NPCs, mines, or whatever in there.

I understand that they might not want the 12-24 hour games anymore but something lasting from 1-3 hours would be the sweet spot.

They gave a compromise on things like loot trading…they could easily do it here.

1 Like

What? Everyone Knew that we were getting 1.12 AV-- It wasn’t something they stealth nerfed into the game. You can’t not know at this point, that’s what we’re getting.

1 Like

Good article on the history of AV and the changes they did over the years.

https://www.engadget.com/2014/02/21/wow-archivist-the-evolution-of-alterac-valley/

1 Like

They made sweeping changes to that very BG during vanilla from patch to patch. Was not at all hard to find that time.

1 Like

Thus we now have swarms of 120 level troll death knight warrior gnomes post in the Classic forums now.

1 Like

For what its worth, the AV I was just in had been going for 8 hrs.

Was that 2 months out from launch? Changing things over years in patches is one thing, Blizzard redoing content this close to launch in beta almost never happens if it ever has happened at all.

What part of AV not being in game until many months after launch do you not grasp?

Rather than beta testing the BG months before launch and even more months past that until it is actually in game, they could be spending the time making the reverted elements.

3 Likes

I think many of them are looking at classic as something to do when retail goes dry until the next patch.

And maybe that was the intent all along from Blizz…shared sub so people just hop from retail to classic to retail to classic and the MAU/revenue never drops.

1 Like

You obviously haven’t watched them do betas in the last decade. :man_facepalming:

You are hoping against hope if you think Blizzard will change the version of AV.

Read the blue post. They said there were too many NPC’s and that the NPC’s were too hard to kill.

Please cite examples of alterac valley betas in the past.
(There were none)

I hoped beyond hope that classic would come back. What I do not understand is the motivation of posters throwing shade on those pleading for the earlier iteration of AV.

Gee, Brockthorn, I had completely overlooked that ridiculous blue post. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.
/s

2 Likes

You are flat out stretching and you know it. Once we hit this late in beta for any game Blizzard has done you get what you get. They may tweak the numbers a bit, they may fix some bugs, but the content isn’t going to change.

You can bury your head in the sand and believe something is going to change, but it won’t, regardless of whether or not its going to release later.

That’s what some people wanted, but they were deluding themselves if they ever thought that terrible idea was ever going to happen.