Classic is nerfed on beta

You have WAY too much faith in them if you seriously think they weren’t that lacking in foresight.

It’s not foresight, it’s standard industry practice of the last 50 years.

They re-mastered only the graphics on the original StarCraft RTS because like Vanilla it’s a 10X better game than StarCraft 2.

StarCraft shipped in 1998, they still have backup versions of that…

They are working on remastering the graphics of WarCraft 3 because they realize the development teams are not really gamers but that they have a team of graphical artists, and that’s their development strength right now…

As a result WarCraft 3 “Re-forged” is on the way also, and again no problem in retaining a backup copy of that either; that game shipped in 2002…

You should stop believing that they misplaced the backups for Classic WoW, that’s the same BS they claimed years ago and no one believed it then either…

As the “Story” goes they “found” a copy of 1.12 on a single backup buried on a TBC or something like that…

Dude… no, just no; that never happened that way unless an certain employee of that era smuggled a copy into that backup for “safe keeping” and knew exactly where to look for it.

Outside of that unimaginable situation the whole story stinks of bullcrap.

4 Likes

Actually, it was found on a backup of a backup of a backup.

Dude, I have backup copies of every single copy of every shred of crappy little program and code that I have ever written going back to the 90’s on media that I can’t even presently access.

Does not make the code or program impossible to access, just difficult if I want access.

This is more than likely the truth of the situation, the type of media changes as new developments take place and we switch over to better things.

I am telling you man, they lost nothing; Blizzard has never been a 1 man broke as a joke Indy developer… They were not so cheep or stupid that they did not backup literally everything.

They won’t the dataset they have is 1.12, any other patch from classic will be guess work. Blizzard would rather have an authentic version of Classic, not a bunch of guess work.

If that’s true, then these developers must be VERY good at acting.

Laeric, they don’t work in the Data annex, and I doubt they have ever set foot there.

It’s more than likely that they were given a few “options” by corporate on how this project would pan out over time.

Blizzard has been a very large company for a while now and nearly everything is a top down (like it or not) kinda thing.

If they didn’t ever set foot in the data annex, how the hell did they have any authority to allow film to be shot there for the Looking for Group documentary? Or make a point that after the Gates of AQ event they learned to start keeping their server engineers involved with future event plans?

Uhh… you can still force a massive turtle in 1.12 AV and experience the battles of old. I don’t think they had reinforcements then either, so you can still have like 3 hour AV’s.

Just get a sizable amount of people to defend Belinda or Galv. If Galv or Belinda don’t go down it pretty much forces a turtle. I think you could probably do it with 5 people… that’s what my guild did in Wrath and we had like 1 hour AV’s that were limited by reinforcements.

Also, AV wasn’t nerfed because of casuals. It was nerfed because PVP players basically lost honor during AV week. All of the people going for rank loathed AV. It was further nerfed when marks of honor were added by adding the reinforcement system.

I agree me and my friend think they have been lying this whole time about not having the data it’s a lie they have been telling since cata as an excuse not to make classic

Honestly how is it possible they can do a Warcraft three remaster but can’t find the data for vanilla

How do you even lose the data to begin with

That code is the foundation that made them the multi billion dollar corporation they are today and they just lost blueprint

This is like Coca Cola saying sorry guys we lost the original coke recipe

You would think the original code would be some holy grail to be honored not some archaic relic of the past to be forgotten and lost

And they apparently lost it way back in cata not even six years after vanilla

It’s an absolute bullcrap story made up by a bunch of egomaniac developers who lie to the playerbase constantly so they create what they want

ps sorry my grammar sucks I coulsnt use question marks and commas etc cus I’m on my phone and touch screen is broken atm

4 Likes

I did not buy into it back when they said the lost the whole thing and I still don’t buy that line of BS when they claim they only have 1.12.

The truth is more likely they have back up copies on an outmoded type of media that’s impossible to access without getting hardware specifically needed to do so.

I have stuff backed up on Syquest that I simply cannot access because I don’t have a Syquest drive any longer, but I do have the media.

Does this mean because I cannot access the data that I am sunk and can never retrieve it? Well no, I just have to be willing to get on Ebay or something and find a working drive, maybe 3 or 4 supposed working drives to gain that data.

That’s more than likely the real truth of the situation… Not truly lost, but more than likely difficult to gain access.

4 Likes

When you speak to the public you are very well prepped on what you can say and what you can’t say.

I’m pretty sure they specifically said this was the art assets backup.

Which, I’ll be honest, has always confused me, because I feel like a single Vanilla client should have all the art assets. If they had a working reference client, what art assets were they missing?

1 Like

They claim this, but then they’re going with 1.12 and simultaneously shipping pre-Naxx versions of a lot of content.

But oh “we don’t have that version”

5 Likes

two different sets of people…
The programmers may not have the code and may have been told the code is gone.
The tech guys may have the code on some old drive or disk somewhere and just dont want to look for it.

At least that is the way it works at my place.

They can bring back 1.7 AV. That’s not really the issue. They can also have it be a limited event every now and then. Which would follow the spirit of classic, although it would be a soft exception to “no changes.” It would basically put some kind of time warping event into a museum, for the sake of making the museum more interesting.

But I don’t think they’ll do it.

They’re purposefully and consciously shipping 1.12 versions of everything. It’s too make it consistent. The only thing they’re doing with the phased roll-out is enabling things. The MC and Ony we see on August 27 will be the 1.12 version of MC and Ony. The Scholo and Strath will be 1.12 versions. The loot that drops will be ~1.2-1.5 loot tables, but the stats on those items will be 1.12 stats. The art of the items will be 1.12 art (no orange traffic cone mages).

Except that’s not actually true…

A very obvious example straight away is the use of 1.12.1 as the parent template for every single class in game.

I can confirm 1.12.1 because you cannot cancel blood rage and drop combat; this was a 1.12.1 change to eliminate this behavior.

Also there were several other changes to various classes; please review the 1.12.1 change list.

Upon reviewing this list you will notice that all the game and class changes are intact while the 1.12.1 Mount skill and costs changes have been reverted to the original version.

World of Warcraft Client Patch 1.12.1 Edit

General Edit

• The riding skill has been changed. A riding skill of 75 is now needed to ride level 40 mounts and a skill of 150 for level 60 mounts. Those that already have mounts will automatically be granted the appropriate level skill.

World PvP Edit

• Players will no longer lose the Silithus or Eastern Plaguelands PvP buffs after dying in the zone.
  • Players will now port to the Crown Guard Tower graveyard if they die in Fungal Vale while their faction controls the tower.
  • Players will no longer be interrupted while sitting down in Eastern Plaguelands when contested towers change ownership.
  • Players will no longer be interrupted while sitting down in Silithus when a side collects 200 Silithyst and wins the event.
  • In the Silithus World PVP event, the dust cloud graphic that appears on a flag carrier will now properly trail behind the character while running.
  • Players will no longer receive honor if a tower in Eastern Plaguelands is captured while they are stealthed.
  • Lordaeron’s Blessing buff from Eastern Plaguelands is no longer dispellable.
  • Players on Windows machines will now hear the victory music when their faction fully captures a tower in the Eastern Plaguelands.

Warlocks Edit

• Players that log out of the game and back while having a pet summoned will now be properly credited a Soul Shard.
  • Warlock pet sounds have now been added in all languages.

Warriors Edit

• Canceling Bloodrage while in PvP or dueling will no longer remove you from combat.

Items Edit

• Most enchantments on items are no longer counted against the maximum limit of effects a player can have on them, so it should be much harder for a player to exceed their max limit on effects and have one be removed involuntarily.
  • Fixed a graphical error with the Dreadnaught Helmet.
  • Fixed an issue in which the “Blessing of the Claw” from the 6 piece Dreamwalker set was causing players to stand up after trying to eat or drink.
  • Fixed an issue where multiple armor set bonuses were not applying correctly when switching out pieces.
  • Fixed an issue where the four-piece Plagueheart set was not properly applying to corruption.
  • The Blade of Eternal Darkness will now only proc when damage is done.
  • Fixed a graphical error with the Dreadmist mask in which it would float above the Tauren Females’ head.
  • Fixed a graphical error in which enchantment glows were not updating if the same item with a different enchant or no enchant was equipped.

User Interface Edit

• UI windows will now be positioned correctly if the right action bar is activated.
  • When going from Windowed mode to Full-Screen mode, player names will no longer be replaced with “…”
  • The Quest Tracker will now properly display purchased quest items.
  • The Battle Map in Outdoor PvP and in the Battlegrounds will no longer get stuck when dragging with the cursor in windowed mode.
  • The Battle Map in Alterac Valley will no longer switch off whenever a graveyard, tower, or mine changes ownership.

Bugs Edit

• Players will now be able to complete the quest,“Target: Hive’Ashi Sandstalkers”.
  • Fixed an issue where players could be afflicted by “Withering Touch” more than once at a time.
  • The Plaguewood teleporter will now teleport players to the correct location within Naxxramas.
  • Fixed an issue where players were getting the message “Invalid” when trying to select flight paths.
  • Fixed an issue where if the disenchant window was forced closed, a player would lose both their reagent and the item they were disenchanting.
  • Fixed an issue where players could crash while fighting Anub’Rekhan.
  • Fixed an issue in which players trying to disenchant an item with a full inventory and then casting a spell afterward would lose the reagent and the item.
  • Fixed an issue where weapon procs will now work with instant abilities.
  • Pet buffs will now apply and remove properly.
  • The Priest talent Spirit Tap will no longer sometimes proc off of totems.

Mac Edit

• Players will no longer hear any sound when they have “Enable all Sound” turned off.

Mount Changes Edit

See also: FAQ posted by Hortus

Explanation of the Changes Edit

Source: [1] link currently broken by search feature bug in official forums

This change was implemented after the latest revision of the patch notes was made available for inclusion into the 1.12.1 patch binary. It will be documented in a future revision however.

There will be effectively two riding skill levels, Apprentice and Journeyman. The cost for the riding skill will be significantly higher than it previously was, however this is offset by a drastically lower cost for the actual mount.

For current players with mounts there will be a seamless transition to the new system. You will continue to have your mount; you will continue to be able to use it, etc. What this change does for players who don’t yet have a mount or an epic mount is take the emphasis off of the mount itself, and put it on the riding skill. This helps give players access to more variety without requiring a large monetary investment if they, for instance, just want to pick a different colored horse.

Player-written FAQ Edit

Source: [2] link currently broken by search feature bug in official forums

In light of the recent changes to the mounts and the surrounding hysteria therein, I have written this F.A.Q. Please feel free to correct it.

Let me say this first: After the changes in this patch, you will spend the SAME amount of money to learn to ride and buy a regular or epic mount as you did before the patch. The costs are merely reversed.

‘What are the changes to the mounts and riding system?’

In a nutshell, the cost of learning to ride a mount and the cost of purchasing a mount have been swapped. Instead of paying 80g for a regular mount (undiscounted) and 20g (undiscounted) to learn riding for that mount, you will pay 20g for a regular mount and 80g to learn the riding skill. Instead of paying 1000g for an epic mount (undiscounted), you will pay 100g (undiscounted) for the epic mount and 1000g (undiscounted) for the riding skill.

Maybe because most people don’t care to read the patch notes from 15 years ago? I don’t need to know the exact 1.12 patch notes to know what classic AV looked like and it’s not the version they put in the beta.

AV changed constantly in Vanilla, and 1.12 was the longest period of stability (25% of the Vanilla period). So while you remember other parts, that doesn’t mean you’re getting them.

You should have looked it up or read a thread or two here, if you were this concerned.