Classic Era Patch Updates

Era is a unique (and should be) situation.
It is close but not quite a time capsule which I believe should remain that way.

It’s wonderful that the Classic team can stretch their wings and develop interesting additions to the basic Era to present in seasonal. It’s really great. They made one version with those qol things people ask for. Why must Era be changed as well? It may have a smallish audience but it would be what was proposed.

4 Likes

The discussion on Boons is a bit ridiculous. Especially since it been here from day 1 of Era since it was introduced before TBC pre-patch. And it was introduced to help reduce raid logging with was the alternative before.

Alliance Rend is 100% a QoL improvement. Is it needed absolutely not but as an Alliance that does 100% of my raids with Rend it is just fun to have. I’ll so be on the hill to get but it’s a much bigger pain.

4 Likes

people get confused between Vanilla and Classic sadly. The boon is their quickfire ‘goto’ to try some gotchya point.

2 Likes

You’re dodging the question. Chrono Boons are not within the spirit of classic. Would the spirit of classic be anywhere near as lively as it is today without the ability to boon world buffs?

it’s a gross simplification yes, and im definitely prone to bias.

Majority of response i’ve seen to people posting is simply “Go somewhere else like cata, #Nochanges” or “This ruins the game because new stuff goes against a philosophy already broken several times” #nochanges. “A buff that drops in your capital city is not Quality of Life” “Random strawman about buying T3 toons” “It should be hard because Era is supposed to be hard”

Some of the arguements are very valid like trying to tap into the original philosophy of Classic Era. I’ve appreciated our discussion as well (but bro you could NOT force me to go scrolling through this mess to find your OG comment I’m sorry lmao) Ultimately i doubt any of my muckslinging is gonna bring about any real change.

Alliance already has so many things that gives it a an edge in raiding. You want to easily raid with rend? roll horde or wait for classic plus to come out, thats vanilla. And if ZG/DMT/SF isnt enough for you to crush 20 year old raids then get good.

2 Likes

In 2005 blizzard gave 0 thought to any raiding edge. Legit the worst argument ever.
Then talk about ‘classic’ purism

Found the Horde who’s upset with Stormrend… :popcorn:

But Horde too ugly

1 Like

Identifying a valid argument against classic purists as a “quickfire ‘goto’” sounds like you don’t have much of a defense against it. It’s a valid reasoning and was a change that was QoL and necessary to keep Era alive and well to this day. Do you instead think that this should not be taken into account?

https://sign.moveon.org/petitions/we-want-stormrend-back-in-wow-era?just_launched=true 162 SIGNATURES SO FAR

https://strawpoll.com/3RnYXlp6pye VOTE NOW

While it’s nice to see that finally a post has arisen regarding the lateness of the changes it doesn’t confer that the journey is still on that same path. Things do change, understandably, however there appears that a disconnect still does exist between the developers and the classic (era) player base.

One of the major drivers seeing a return and growth on the Era servers relates to the classic push through the cata line & beyond. There was no clarity from Blizzard regarding the progression beyond classic, as to where the game was headed.

• Players were given information during classic, prior to classic BC, that characters would be safe, and able to be played on era.
  • A change of direction then later stated, yes we are going to have a cloning service, if you want to play your era character on both classic & BC/Wrath you’d need to pay for the service.
  • Advertising, albeit short/limited, announced that the cloning would be retired. Why would the service be retired, upon Blizzard’s commitment that characters would be safe and accessible. Paying the cloning fee isnt the issue, its more the issue that the account variables used to generate the clone were deleted off live
  • Blizzard then announced a classic cataclysm direction and that there would be no classic BC/Wrath era servers, a forced migration through the cata expansion
    -With the classic Cata content , which a large number of players do not want to play, return to classic having to start again.

If the classic development team wanted to regain the confidence of the players they could

• be transparent about the direction of where classic era will go
  • be transparent about whether or not account variables saved in archives can be used to restore previous era characters and whether or not they’d be on the agenda as a return of the clone service, believe it or not there is a demand for it
  • understand that players are still frustrated with the lack of communication regarding why changes have been implemented

Thanks - long time player

4 Likes

We can get rend whenever it drops. Why not just give us this thing that already existed in the game and let’s me rebuff faster? Who is it hurting?

1 Like

Lol I don’t care if storm rend is in or not, but you making a poll to bring back a change that wasnt in the og game is hilarious. I just care about my sweet logout skips. Id trade stormrend back in the game and druids having polys for log out skips being back. So im not angry but also it was part of lore and faction balance so… il call out salty ally players who already have a faction edge and just want more. Stay mad and keep making your little petitions. Honestly they just need to keep 2-3 era servers and then make “old school” servers aka classic plus where they update it, thatd be cool.

1 Like

Logout skips okay cheater.

The Rend seller can’t make the gold are crying

rofl dude its part of playing an retro game. If a random software update messed up gta glitches on ps2 id be pissed. If you want no bugs go play a modern game or ask for classic plus servers, this is era.

1 Like

theres a big difference between one or two small QoL changes and throwing everything that is in retail into a classic merry-go-round like SoD does.

Not to mention i didnt see the no changes crowd throwing a fit on Era launch with getting the 1.12 talent trees instead of the original launch ones.

QoL upgrades are needed and have been a part of era since launch.

You are not asking for facts but opinion.
I gave you that.

Blizzard should stick with their design principles and keep Era, even if people run again to the next thing, as they proposed. So yes, if a small pop I’m fine because Blizzard will be sticking to their guns for Era and giving all the qol goodies to those that want them in other offerings. So everyone gets something.

2 Likes

“retro game”