Classic Countdown Thread

I’m still pessimistic about a few things but the hype train got me. Can’t wait to explore the Loch before it got wrekt in Cata.

1 Like

I’m making more characters on the first two days, then I’m on vacation out of town for 3 days, then back to start leveling :smiley:

I think the zone I’m most looking forward to playing again is the Barrens. Kinda weird due to its reputation and the fact that I’m an alliance player, but it has a lot of sentimental value. When I first started playing my friend and I took an… unconventional leveling route: we made two dwarves, trekked across Loch Modan and the Wetlands, rode to Auberdine, and by level 15 or so we made our way down to the barrens for some reason. We wound up hanging out there a lot, even though there were not really any quests for alliance players. Just hours of fighting centaurs and plainstriders, fishing in the oases, and emoting at confused horde characters.

So in retail I’m always a little sad that I can’t visit that Barrens of yore and instead I get this weird busted up Cata version that also has Kor’kron mobs lingering from MoP…

4 Likes

I just read through the Shadow Priest talent tree and forgot that had a weird amount of support way back when. For a DPS spec, they look useful for a lot besides straight DPS.

Now I’m excited again.

I haven’t used my “lol I played wow beta” card in a long time so here’s that.

This character was the third character I made during classic, eventually migrating Horde side when race changes and faction transfers were a thing. I’m excited to get hit with nostalgia when logging into old zones. But after playing the Classic stress tests and watching streamers I really have no enthusiasm to do WoW classic in any serious capacity.

Though vanilla wow was Rogue pvp paradise…:thinking:

2 Likes

I used to main priest pretty much up until Legion and I really miss the old Spriest spec. I liked the value it had as a support role and being the raids mana battery vs just another DPS spec competing with pure DPS specs.

I also remember it being pretty efficient spec for leveling and blasting threw to 60 pretty quickly. Then again priest was my second class I leveled so at that point I had understood the gameplay better but I remember very little downtime between mobs needing to eat/drink.

This is honestly what’s driving my pessimism. The RP community’s excitement has made me change my tune but I still cringe a bit at what I’m seeing out of the rest of the classic community and I can’t see myself wanting to play with any of these people.

Give me someone pretending to be an elf or a troll over some try hard streamer fanboy any day!!

4 Likes

Im fairly certain BB will remain a pleasant realm, I’m less sure about Grob but im hoping it turns out well.

The rest of the classic community? I’ll just say thatbthe classic forum leading up to now have been eye opening.

1 Like

I’m not sure that a bunch of caffeinated Tasmanian devils locked in the same cage constitutes a “community.”

4 Likes

https://massivelyop.com/2019/08/22/blizzard-warns-people-off-overcrowded-wow-classic-servers-again/

Found this interesting. Apparently the pvp servers are going to end up SUPER overcrowded (I shudder to think how they are going to end up).

Also Method is apparently aiming to host a race to World First Onyxia and Rag and boy am I sure thats going to exacerbate any problems that will arise with insane raiders.

Did you know that the mother’s pouch is called a “marsupium”, and is where the word “marsupial” comes from.

4 Likes
3 Likes

I reconnected with some folks in the Sentinels thread after realizing I COULD POST AGAIN despite not being subbed. Saw some folks I haven’t seen/talked to in YEARS. It was wild.

There’s something about vanilla WoW that reminds me of tabletop RPGs (which is where I’ve gravitated to in recent years), which is why I find it extremely appealing over current era WoW. It’ll be fun to revisit some of my old stomping grounds.

7 Likes

Hey, good to see you again!

1 Like

I have what is perhaps a naive hope for Classic, but a possibility nonetheless. First off, I do not think Classic will destroy, replace, or be even with retail. Not after the first month anyhow. I think a lot of Vanilla was horrendously flawed. However, I do think it will be very popular, and for good reason. A lot of Vanilla was also truly amazing, and I’m hoping that will lead Blizzard to revisit what people like so much about that version. I won’t try to speak for everyone, but here’s some things that to me, could and should be recaptured from that time period.

Classes feel so mundane now, quests feel hollow and unimportant, the environment feels really… empty. Like it’s full of stuff, but so much of it feels like filler. Class abilities are so boring. There’s no moments when leveling anymore where you’re going “Oh awesome! Now I can get so and so spell

It’s like “I got one of my three Attack abilities. Well, back to dungeon spamming”. I wanna be perfectly clear- I’m not a Vanilla purist. I think the mentality that Vanilla was the best the game’s been is farcical. But there’s something to it. It’s not an empty sentiment. There’s no adventure anymore. There’s no pride to take in your class choice. It’s just numbers with different colors of flare.

I hope Classic brings attention to it from the higher ups, because it needs to be addressed. Somewhere along the way, the game lost a lot of its soul.

4 Likes

You also want a little bit of Int: Int helps your weapon skills increase faster.

So my hunter really will need to collect some caster gear to level weapon skills?

My god, it was true. All drops truly were hunter drops.

2 Likes

I remember people used to call them “mana batteries”.

1 Like

You honestly forget at times that classes used to be diverse, and not every DPS was just “make big numbers happen”. People could bring different things to the table. Big things, things that made a difference. DPS roles can feel so useless and unimportant now, because you’re just doing the same thing that thousands of other people are doing, but in a different armor set.

Your hunter will be using Mana. You want some Int, anyway. XD

1 Like

Oh my god hunters used to use mana. So many things I forgot lol Cata really was when the game started going downhill.

1 Like