"Class fantasy" is super important, and why people loved Legion

In a sense they succeeded though. There’s always that glimmer of hope that maybe the next expansion will be a Legion. If BFA followed WoD we’d be looking at a much smaller game.

Gods could you imagine it though? A new Legion that wasn’t burdened by Legiondary drama and a mediocre first raid? It would be unstoppable.

Make up your mind. Are you a race lore Andy or not? lol.

Monks were a proxy to push forward Panda lore for better or worse, Shadow Priest class narrative can offer the same thing for Void Elves.

1 Like

Did we need both Priest and Death Knight to rep the preSL Shadowlands? I think in terms of maximizing the number of possible stories that can be told it makes sense to move Priest over to the Void.

Mental manipulation makes more sense as a mind power rather than death power anyways. Mind Blast Mind Flay Mind Spike Shadow Word Pain, these are all psionics they never made sense as shadowlands/death magic. Priests were never casting Shadow Bolts.

I’ve only ever tried the Rogue and DK ones, and they seemed very in theme. Even though I wish rogues weren’t in the sewer, it was very cool how we could go through a secret bookshelf.

Would like to see more class quests to unlock stuff like the Warlock customization options. Or even just quests to advance the stories of people from the order hall, or for example have us do Rogue things like do a heist or spy on people.

I feel like some classes like Paladin would be harder with all the different types of Paladins and human paladin lore just being lame. (Also just me wanting Blood Knight things where we don’t follow Liadrin. We need to stray away from her)

1 Like

Void elves aren’t even shadow priests, they were mages poking around at the void and got corrupted by it. That’s why their leader is a mage. I don’t think there actually is a void elf priest character of any note.

Blizzard ruined shadow priests to make them void cultists, then made void elves who were the “first mortals to master the void.”

So not only is shadow priest’s “class fantasy” bad because it erased the previous fantasies, but it’s also bad because shadow priests aren’t even good at using the void.

3 Likes

Okay then.

And this is the massive problem with trying to write an entire class as a certain mindset. Every character takes up their class for different reasons. Like I said, Warriors might be honor-seeking fighters, mercenaries that know how to survive a scrap, or someone with great rage looking for an outlet to break. Mages could be studious tower-dwelling nerds, curious and naturally-gifted investigators of the fabric of reality, or someone inspired by a show of magical power and wanting to do that. Go down the list, and you can find an individual inspiration and story for any class/race combo, even though that don’t officially ‘exist’ yet.

Trying to pen every Warrior as a battle-seeking Vahallan berserker is dumb when literally only one culture tends to follow that creed, and they’re not human.

2 Likes

no its insulting and enraging. it screams of a writers personal fanfic. this is why i REFUSE to take any lore blizzard has created for their mmo cata onwards seriously or acknowledge it. 90% of it is garbage tier personal writer fanfic word vomit. it’s like all the writers have their own personal self insert fanfics and im tired of it. so i just ignore it.

To be fair.

One of the Windrunners wouldnt even exist because she was a personal writer self insert fanfic. And that happened long before Cata

2 Likes

to be fair. veressa doesnt have much of a fanbase because of that. nobody really cares about her.

Definitely. Just saying WoW has a very long history, from day 1, of personal writer fanfic word vomit.

Rhonin was such a bad character.

1 Like

rhonin was the result of knaak not knowing his place.

Dont say that too loud, or his summoned raptor army will appear to defend his rugged and chiselled good looks.

You don’t even need to go this specific.

Imagine how every paladin is now basically a silver hand human paladin. Screw you if you have any different belief or way to see the light, the sunwalkers were completely shafted, it feels awful to be there with one.

What they did with frostmourne too, just to force the mentality of frost dk being a dual wielder, and the Dks got screwed by not having the iconic DK weapons, and having two toothpicks, preposterous

3 Likes

It’s also what introduced all the half-elf garbage. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I mean even veressa cosplays are much lower price point then the other 2 sister cosplays…not that i would be looking at such stuff…nope.

This talks also remind me of how i need to roll a Troll WARLOCK if i want to get the vibes of a shadow hunter/witch doctor, because shamans don’t use voodoo besides hex and priests are 100% old god lackeys now and doesn’t make much sense to use if you are not a human or light worshiper

Legion class fantasy had a LOT of flaws too, we need to always remember that.

2 Likes

Good. Sunwalkers are dumb. Soft-deleting them is a W.

In fact I appreciate that SoD is softretconning the “Sun Shaman” garbage and implying that the proto-Sunwalkets follow the same tenants as the Church of the Holy Light, they just aren’t formally educated so they interpret the truth in a way they can comprehend.

1 Like

Dumb is to think there is only one faith or religion that is able to develop a sacred warrior that is a paladin. To think only if you follow the “church of the holy light” you can use light powers in plate armor

Even D&D parted ways with that kind of mentality ages ago.

3 Likes

Shaman are sacred Warriors for Orcs and Trolls. This model worked well enough in early WoW.

Tauren?