Chronicles 4 Spoiler Thread

Elements are allies. Ancestor worship was their Religion

I’m not happy… looks like they generally blue washed everything.

For example… it’s explicitly a Horde player/champion who is to blame for releasing Xal’atath… also they doubled down on making Helya evil… seems they enjoy making victimized women into monsters.

12 Likes

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, this only makes logical sense. Canonically the Horde cleared Crucible of Storms, that was a thing even in BFA. As they get the dagger from defeating Uu’nat and hand it off to Nathanos or Sylvanas. We later see Nathanos with the blade in the Nazjatar trailer and he goes off to give it to Azshara after crashing into Nazjatar. For Alliance players we simply get a quest where we notify Brother Pike that the blade has gone missing after we defeat Uu’nat. How would the horde players know about the dagger being in N’zoths possession if it was the Alliance players that canonically did the questline with Xal’atath? And how would they get to Crucible of Storms before the Alliance players to take the dagger?

This one confuses me. It is implied that Helya only joined Zovaal via Mueh’zala after her defeat in Legion from what we learn in Shadowlands. Yet she is now working for Zovaal even then.

4 Likes

Video Game World

It’s actually quite mortifying when you think about it. Your eternal ever-after is just determined to be a cosmic copy of your favorite dream, which can still end if your soul die-dies again.

I never expected Warcraft to keep legitimizing choosing undeath over dying. Considering that all it takes to bring an undead back is just having enough necromantic power, and the new lore that any source of power can create undead… combined with the fact that the undead don’t need to eat for sustenance, so they don’t really consume much in resources…

Your best afterlife is actually sticking around to just help out your living family while requiring minimal upkeep on their part.

Why do people look down on undeath again? Is it just the smell? Or the lack of ability to continue reproduction?

Honestly.

8 Likes

Pretty much. Choose undeath and you get the best of both worlds. Get to stick around in reality and then visit the Shadowlands on a tourist visa

Scourge. Thats basically the big reason most undeads are perceived as enemies, and tbf they are still the majority of undeads, the forsaken and DKs are a minority.

6 Likes

Of all the criticisms of Shadowlands, and there are many to be had, the one I never understood was people rejecting the idea that souls could double-die.

Like, I’m pretty sure that’s been a thing since vanilla. Ol’ Farmer Donald wasn’t going to the light once he went into a soulstone and got burned up for someone’s warlock cookie. You wanted demons to die in the nether because it ended their existence forever when done there. Or any ghost you outright beat up instead of redeem.

6 Likes

The ghosts you beat up were supposedly being sucked up by the big scary vaccum you see the sky when you do your corpse runs.

The blue angels from Bastion were also supposed to go down and collect stray souls to be put through death’s engine.

But still, you’re quite right that many individual’s fates were to be obliterated into nonexistence in Vanilla. Which only leads to the question of why Maldraxxus is only a defensive army for death, when it appears that the Burning Legion were burning souls as fuel since the distant cosmic mistake that was their creation?

And the fact that Maldraxxus exists as a DEFENSIVE army means that the afterlife regularly gets attacked by other powers who want to snatch the souls in death’s domain as either some form of currency or power.

Reject the system or become fuel to be burned for its continuance.

3 Likes

It is kinda weird that Blizzard sold Maldraxxus as the “shadowlands army” but then the other covanents had their own military as well. The Wild Hunt for the Night Fae and the Soldiers of Courage for Bastion (I don’t think we got an official name for those who serve the Paragon of Courage). Revendreth does have the Stone Legion but that was made due to the Lights invasion.

And we know Bastion had theirs for a long time because they fought off the void when it invaded. Ardenwealds one is mainly to keep the Grom in check and fend off any invaders. Like the Drust or the Devourers, due to their clients.

One would think Bastion would use theirs to ensure that souls that should to the shadowlands go to the Shadowlands by any means necessary. But they subscribe themselves to “finders keepers” for some reason.

7 Likes

So are we talking about how titans are a potential pathway for world souls? That’s definitely gonna be a point of interest in TLT

1 Like

It does make Argus an interesting case. Because clearly Sargeras wanted to turn Argus into a Titan to be part of his Dark Pantheon, but at the same time he was pumped full of Death magic that he went to the Shadowlands after his death. In which the Dreadlords planned on turning Argus into the new Arbiter once Zovaal had completed his goals in Zereth Mortis. Zovaals death did not deter the Dreadlords though.

So Argus was somehow pumped full of Arcane to become a Titan but also pumped full of Death that he went to the Shadowlands with the goal of turning him into an Eternal One.

I am confused.

2 Likes

Maybe its a sort of order of operations thing, like once a world soul is made into a titan, it’s just permanently a titan and any other force is just corrupting a titan

1 Like

a huge component of my warlock’s current ethos is attaining living immortality just as an act of denying a flawed bureaucracy so much power over his soul. also, i really hope “mortifying” was a deliberate word choice, because it’s just <chef’s kiss> in context

Even weirder than them having their own armies (which could arguably be justified for regular upkeep against localized nuisances like overeating gorm and keeping occasional Devourer intrusions from accumulating and getting out of hand as they did during SL) was that we basically only ever heard about them defending their own realms from full-blown invasions unaided, which made it seem like they have those armies because Maldraxxus never actually does its job.

4 Likes
  1. What Warlocks arguably do is just take soul fragments from people, not destroy their entire souls.

2. There’s a difference between soul destruction being possible in the setting, vs. the literal afterlife being a place where it’s possible.

Note that according to Shadowlands Death and Necromancy aren’t the same thing.

That may mean the same for Order and Arcane!

Arcane incidentally is a word meaning Secret.

Remember: The Arathi have apparently discovered 20 Planes of Existence with 6 Vertices of Interferon Patterns embodying Cosmic Forces and treat Lava and Fire as separate Elements that exist in the same Plane of Existence.

Arcane basically comes from both the Order and Disorder(Twisting Nether) Planes of Existence while Fel only comes from the Disorder Plane of Existence.

Actual Order Elemental Magic is seen in the Dragon Isles used by the Titanforged(along with Holy Elemental Magic from the Plane of Order rather than the Plane of Light) and it is Golden.

Necromancy is not an Element.

Dungeon and raid completion list.

1 Like

This is an alliance world. I told you before but you all never listen until it is too late.

Honestly I’d compare the local armed factions to the police or a relatively small group, vs the full armed forces that’s supposedly maldraxxus.
Usually the the local police is enough to deal with the issues, but at times you need to call in the army when stuff really hit the fan.

1 Like