Chromie Fairytales and Fable SPOILER

Eh. It’s a retcon (not just of Chromie but possibly the very nature of dragon humanoid guises) and if they’re expecting me to be impressed with how inclusive they’re being they’ll end up disappointed, but it’s like whatever. There’s loads of worse things they could be doing than reinterpreting an old fumble a different way than they’ve interpreted it in the past.

The thing I’m wondering more about with this book is why a historical event featuring a specific supporting character, of a race whose society is all-but-unknown to outsiders, is featured in a book supposedly about fairytales and folklore. Who in Azeroth is telling fairytales about Chromie and Kalec? Anybody who knows who these people are is sort of outside the purview of tall stories and myths.

3 Likes

So how is that bingo card coming along? Also I am now curious what would have happen if I had put this in general instead. Oh well I sure someone is going to make this thread there sooner or later.

2 Likes

The original devs said she’s a girl with a guy suffix. Why change something pointlessly? why do this crap?

You can make new characters. It’s not going to kill you to make a new character. I swear, it’s always something new to show they care nothing about any form of consistency.

8 Likes

I do wonder though if Metzen said that to prevent any controversy. Suffice to say Blizzard hasnt exactly been very liberal in the past *ahem * https://www.google.com/amp/s/arstechnica.com/uncategorized/2006/02/6129-2/%3Famp=1

I don’t even really care why he said it. It was established, and that’s all that matters.

The lack of respect is just too much to handle anymore. I don’t even know how to form my current feelings into words, just exasperation maybe? Exasperation, depression, it’s too much.

I’ve gotta get my friend to quit again so I can unsub.

1 Like

A random dev comment in an interview is not a reliable source for canonical information.

3 Likes

To throw my hat in the ring for what little it’s worth, since we haven’t really had any experiences with Chromie prior to her taking the form of a gnome for Andorhol there isn’t really much of an established past that this damages.
As far as the player is concerned, Chromie has always been female (considering bronze dragons that gets even more messy, but still) and this just adds more backstory to the character that doesn’t change what we know.

The only weird bit would be the dragon having the same voice, but magic is the ultimate excuse for basically anything anyway.

14 Likes

You’re right, many of them are very sarcastic and joking. However, the fact that the quote exists in the first place means that whoever was in charge of designing her character made her Cisfemale.

This is the quote btw so people don’t have to go looking for it.

“Everyone calls me Chromie, but my real name is Chronormu. Huh? No, it is not a male name. You clearly don’t understand the intricacies of dragon culture.”

3 Likes

You know what I think is too much? Chromie always looks young. Every character in WoW basically gets to look young - forever.

It’s ageism okay? Can’t a hero get older?

I started playing this game and I looked a decade and a half younger. None of the characters have aged with me. I hate every one of them and also am secretly exceedingly jealous.

/Chromie had a male name and a female form. If you didn’t do the math before, I’m not sure what to say.

//Also considering the depths of depravity WoW has dragged sentient dragons through, this is not the line in the sand you should draw.

///I really think they named this book horribly - I get that it’s short stories but I figured it was literally fables, not actual Canon short stories. Ugh.

13 Likes

what irks me is Blizzard’s obsession with young men being heroes. Turalyon was apparently 20 when he fought in the 2nd War… How?! Anduin is High King at 20, Arthas was the LK at 24-28…Varian was 14!!! during the Second War, is there no men in this franchise in the 30-50 range? they all seem aged too young. Shaw (who should be like 50 years old, is in his early 40’s… what?

Only half of the Bronze Dragon Males have “mu” in their name as shown by Anachronos, Timecap’n Hooktail, Erozion, Eternos, Grakkarond, Penumbrius, Sa’at, Zirion, Occulus, Aeonus and Temporus!

Most Bronze Dragon Females have “mi” in their name with only one exception: Zephyr…

In my opinion the Bronze Dragons take up whatever name the Timeline says they will be given!

genn is in his 70s i think, and khadgar is pretty old

he should be but with Blizzard’s wonky timeline and their tendency to age characters way younger than they appear he’s probably 38

Khadgar only has a curse on him that makes him appear older than he actually is, over time that curse has been weakening and he’s looking more his real age.

i dunno, khadgar was a young man during the second war and that was like 30 years ago. and genn was already an old man during the second war

1 Like

I swore I read he was still only 19. Ugh. He can’t age much more - Wrynnrunner works so much better with him being a young little naive lion who needs to …

Sorry. Children’s book. I’m back on topic.

Turalyon was 19 and Alleria was thousands of years old when they hooked up in the Second War. Wyrnnrunner has a shot.

4 Likes

Khadgar looked like Antonidas for a while until he got a make over to appear much younger. I have to imagine that was to relate with the playerbase more.

I suspect the characters are younger to relate the playerbase more. Make some sense, except most of them never age since the timeline moves at a snails pace. I’ll probably be Velen’s age by the time Anduin is 30.

I also think that some of the lead writers are trying to play out some of their childhood fantasies with these characters. Sylvanas almost appears to be Anduin’s peer when she should see him as some dumb kid.

2 Likes

Technically she’s not calling herself cisfemale with that quote. It’s specifically about the name not being male. With the new lore that could easily be explained that dragon names ‘in general’ do not have a native gendering.

That or Chromie is embarassed about the name thing and passes it off as a ‘cultural thing a mortal wouldn’t understand’. Even works for a character trait since she shortened Chronormu to Chromie, from the -u to the -i convention.

6 Likes

How old was Rhonin when Vareesa and him got together?

I’m starting to think that Windrunner women don’t just have a thing for human cuisine - it’s gotta be farm to table fresh.

4 Likes

I don’t know about Rhonin but Danuser (through Roux) confirmed Nathanos was pretty young when he died, early thirties, which would have made him really young in the Second War when he was supposed to be a Ranger Lord, like 16 or so.

It’s hard to wrap my head around that. I would rather reject it.

5 Likes