Chat is broken

I cant guild chat but I can if I click on the guild tab and chat, then it shows up. It does not show up on my chat bar though. I can local chat as it will show up above me in a chat bubble but that too wont show up on my chat bar. When I enter a city I cant use general or trade unless I leave the channel and come back, then I can chat. In Northrend in the Torean Boundra (spelled that wrong) the options to chat are grayed out in the chat menu. I have tried just about everything from resetting UI to messing around with in game commands. HALP MEH PLZ!!!

Have you tried typing /resetchat in any of the windows you are able to?

2 Likes

Yes, I have tried that.

Well, your UI is the first thing I’d suspect. When you say reset, was it a full and proper reset - or just refreshing with in-game commands? You can also check each window, see if specific chats have been disabled.

2 Likes

After doing the UI reset, I now have cache old, interface old and WTF old. I also have the original cache, interface and WTF folders. It did do a reset I believe and still having the same problem.

When you say it doesn’t show up on your chat bar, do you have it selected?

Each of my chat bars has different things selected so I can see different types of messages on each.

2 Likes

That fixed everything except the ability to talk in general chat

1 Like

Click on the Channels part of the menu on the left, like in the screenshot. It should show you all the chat channels you’re in like General and Trade, and allow you to add them to the chat pane you’re editing.

1 Like

The channels that show are General, Trade and Localdefense. All of them are grayed out.

1 Like

What happens when you /join it? Does it become not-greyed-out?

I typed /join General and it now has a check mark by it but still grayed out.

1 Like

I just saw this thread on the Tech support forum, maybe it’s related?

3 Likes

Well there ya go, pretty sure that is the problem as the zone I am in is on that list of chat being broken. Thanks Eillis and Jodariel!

1 Like

Glad that makes sense! Nice catch, Eilis. Enjoy your guild chat… and zone chat, where available. :smile:

2 Likes

Experiencing the exact same thing, in Highmountain. Never happened to me before – really annoying not being able to see the ‘General’ and ‘LocalDefense’ channels.

My question is, how did my chat config get changed such that all of my ‘chat color’ settings were unchecked? I didn’t uncheck them! This really needs to be fixed, Blizzard.

It’s probably related to this:

1 Like

General chat being broken is back. Suramar currently broken.

Best to post in bugs instead of posting in a very old thread.

2 Likes

Mind the date of what you’re responding to. This is a year+ old necro. Plus this is Customer Support, not Customer Service. There are no Devs and no GMs here who can address this issue.

1 Like