Characters being moved by someone else

My characters are being moved while I am offline.

Last night I logged off on Kaitoo and Kaividi at the warfront table in Boralus.
(Boralus 66 26) I play both accounts together.
When I logged back on today Kaividi was where I left her but Kaitoo was at Boralus 58 25.

My characters being moved from where I leave them has been happening for about 6 months now and as it has also happened while I’m online without me being kicked from my account I believe someone at Blizzard is doing this.

Probably was lag or something like that. You saw your character the last time in X position but he actually was in Y position because the lag, or some networking issue.

6 Likes

Just out of curiosity why would somebody at Blizzard risk their job just to mess with you personally?

12 Likes

There was another thread like this… a player logging out found their character in a different place when logging back in.

It isn’t Blizzard, but it may be some kind of weird phasing issue where the game is attempting to port you somewhere ‘safe’. Does it happen to be graveyards where you end up?

5 Likes

No, my characters are being moved to places nowhere near anywhere they have been lately.

I doubt anyone’s job would be at risk over moving someone’s character.

No, my characters have been landing in all sorts of places, but not graveyards. This last one turned up at at the PvP place in Boralus.

Nobody from Blizzard is moving your characters. They would indeed be in a lot of trouble for accessing a player’s account without reason to do so.

Not to mention, with millions of accounts, why would they bother with yours?

Does anyone else have access to your account? Do you have an authenticator on it?

You’re welcome to put in a ticket to see if a GM can shed any light.

12 Likes

To be blunt, we have much better things to do with our time Katwillow. Logging into a seemingly random account to move a character slightly serves no purpose and would indeed risk the Game Masters job. We would take abuse such as this very seriously.

I couldn’t say why your character appears to be moving. This is something you could report as a bug using the in-game bug report form or on our Bug Report forums. I can assure you though that it’s not being done intentionally by anyone at Blizzard.

18 Likes

Thanks everyone for your answers.

No-one else has access to my account, and it has happened while I was online.
Nothing else has been changed and nothing has been taken - that I’ve noticed.

I put in a ticket immediately before beginning this thread.

As it’s an odd situation I didn’t expect to be helped or even taken seriously, which is why it’s taken me 6 months of putting up with this to make a written report. At least you have all been courteous, which is really as much as could be hoped for.

1 Like

[quote=“Katwillow-frostmourne, post:5, topic:230814”]
No, my characters are being moved to places nowhere near anywhere they have been lately.

Nowhere near? I’d call 8 tomtom units to the left near.

4 Likes

Is it possible you have click-to-move on, and are maybe clicking your character to move somewhere random before logging off and not noticing?

You say it happens when you’re online - if someone was accessing your account to move you, that would kick you off the account.

Is it possible you’re just mis-remembering where you logged off on that specific night? I’d be more inclined to suspect this is the case.

I work in the games industry, I can almost guarantee you that logging in or otherwise accessing a player’s account without their permission is a strict 100% no-go, unless you’re investigating some kind of breach of ToU. Even then, you’d be investigating with tools, not actually getting in and moving characters. Also, they gain absolutely nothing from doing so.

Do you have any siblings or anything who have access to your computer? In the event your character is 100% being moved/operated by someone who is not you, I would be looking into the security of your account.

4 Likes

I logged off Kaitoo and Kaividi while standing in front of the warfront sign-up table. I always play 2 accounts together and leave my pair of toons together when I sign off. When I logged back on Kaividi was still at the warfront table while Kaitoo was at the doorway of the Boralus PvP building, which is “a long way” from the warfront sign-in table.

No, I have never used click-to-move, and if you check out the geography of the area of my most recent surprise move, you’ll see it’s not reachable that way. None of the other surprise moves have been that close either.

You are half right. No-one outside Blizzard could move my characters while I am online.

I have 2 accounts so I can play my characters in pairs, and I always do, leaving them together when I log off except when they are at their garrisons. Yet when I log back on one of pair which was left together has often been moved.

GMs aren’t clones, different ones will handle things slightly differently, and you may even get the occasional bad apple.

A player was posting a month or two ago about Blizzard playing silly-buggers with his character, doing weird things with it, apparently in fun because the guy complaining had broken some rule. Pretty sure he was in a BG at the time. No-one was saying it couldn’t happen, they were just saying he deserved it.

During MoP there was an incident in Westfall where another player who had been trying to crudely chat me up took offense when I mounted a mage disk and flew away, PMing me to say only a bot could mount like that and he was going to report me and get me banned. I tried to reason with him to calm him down and he came out with such a stream of unbalanced invective I blocked him, but it was sick enough to leave me feeling I’d been vomited on.

A year later I was unable to access my account and found I was perma-banned - with no warning and no prior infringements of any kind. I was using a program to reduce ping and at that time this program was causing accounts to be flagged, but no-one else was perma-banned. In case you’re wondering, I hate botters and would like to see them all banned, and would never use a program to play the game for me.

A friend came over and rang Blizzard for me as his account was in good standing, (I was left with no way to even contact them,) and I ended up talking to a Blizzard guy who said yes, my account was perma-banned , with botting being the reason given, but there was no proof he could see to indicate I had, other than me playing long hours. I’m a retired invalid, in pain, and playing works as the perfect anaesthetic, giving me something fun to be up doing rather than lying awake and miserable in bed.

One thing that he said really surprised me. My account had been closely watched by Blizzard for the past year on suspicion of botting, which tied in to crazy guys threats from a year back. The trigger to ban me seemed to be a day of bad back pain when I’d played for 20 hours non stop, and had used that time to collect a herb for a friend who used them for inscription. I got the impression ever since crazy guy threatened me someone had just been looking for an excuse to ban me.

Anyway Blizzard guy promised to get my account looked into and reinstated if there actually was no indication I’d been botting, (Blizzard can check to see if such programs are on your computer, and he was surprised to find there was no indication given any such program had been found,) and a few days later I could play again.

So you can see I don’t take too seriously the notion that no game company employee, either for fun, misguided revenge or whatever, would ever mess with a player’s account. Every profession has the occasional prankster and nether-orifice.

No-one else has access to my computer and a very kind GM contacted me earlier today using Blizzard chat to tell me my account had been checked thoroughly and was perfectly secure.

We are getting into tin-foil hat territory now…

11 Likes

Do you mind going into more detail about this? Why did Blizzard ban you with no evidence? How were you able to contact Blizz through your friends account?

1 Like