Characters porting randomly to cemetaries after I log off

Since the patch, I’ve been having a weird issue where some of my characters have moved from where I last left them. Nothing’s been messed with, they’re just not where they were when I logged off. No one else has access to my account information - not even my spouse.

I have an authenticator, I use an email account created for WoW and WoW only, and I even changed my password (which is always unique and long as heck), because it’s freaking me out despite no signs of foul play.

Just now I logged onto a character that I’d been on earlier, and she was in the Ashvane Docks area. I saw a couple of crosses on the ground - a cemetary? I’d left her parked on the Wind’s Redemption with the toon on my other account that I dualbox her with. HE is where I left him. Given I have been actively logged onto the account in question and playing other characters the whole time, it is impossible that someone moved her - not that I can figure how someone would have access, regardless. I could be wrong, but I think the places have ALL been cemeteries. I also think this is just happening to my warlocks, oddly enough.

Is anyone else having this issue, and what the heck is causing it? Thanks.

I’ve seen no other similar reports, Kronnt.

Few possibilities here, most of which I’d discount immediately. I see no other access, and you have an authenticator, so don’t think this was someone else.

The game will sometimes move you on login if the area a character is in cannot be accessed. That, however, is usually to your bind spot.

I do see you have a fairly recent ticket about not being able to log in. A GM sometimes moves a character in that situation - but again, sounds like you were logged in since then.

I wouldn’t be overly worried unless this repeats. If it does, it may need further investigation.

Thanks, Orlyia. Tried to search forums, but there are a number of ways to try to describe what’s happening, so I wasn’t sure if I missed something.

Good to have it confirmed that there are no signs of someone else having account access. It’s happened at least four times so far. Will be interesting to see if it KEEPS happening.

1 Like

If it does, I’d first try a proper reset UI. Outside chance something corrupted or conflicting in there, may not help, but really can’t hurt. That is just - odd.

1 Like

Besides the ‘stuck character’ feature, I believe that ‘you are not in this instance’s group’ also causes you to be ported to the closest graveyard. It might be worth it to record where you log out, who it is, and if you were in a group at the time you logged out.

You said you were dual-boxing and grouped; is it always happening when you’re grouped? If so, is the one being teleported on the same realm, or an unlinked one? Is the character on the same quests at all times, or are they mixed? (e.g., one has done more quests that might lead to phasing situations)

Throwing things out at random… thinking it’s considering one of your toons to be in an ‘instance’ it doesn’t belong to once you log with one or both, and kicking you to a graveyard. Definitely worth your time to note the situation, and if it persists after the UI Reset Orlyia linked, you can provide details to Bugs.

2 Likes

I had a problem where I logged out in the Priest Order Hall, logged back in and I was suddenly at 10% HP and all of my equipment was at 0 durability.

Maybe it is related…except I did not die completely. Or I did die a lot and got durability to 0…and got revived in priest hall.

1 Like

Ok, logged onto my warlock today, and she is in Dazar’alor at 56, 75 (Terrace of Speakers). Not sure if this spot is a cemetery or not (there are various urns here). She WAS on the Banshee’s Wail when I logged off.

This is getting very frustrating. :frowning:

This is so weird! Other than grasping at random ideas, I have no idea what could cause this, as it’s outside the norm. Porting to graveyards either happens when you’re dead, or if you get the "you are not in this instance’s group’ message.

Are you logging out while still in a group? If so, could you try quitting group before logging out and see what happens?

Beyond this, I’ve never seen this. I have a warlock… I may attempt to do some testing on my own, but that doesn’t help you.

I feel you need to ticket or reach out to the Tech forums. I’m not sure the Ticket path, however. Hopefully, someone can provide that, are maybe a better avenue. It may be they will want you to submit a Bug report instead.

P.S. to Add: you did a full UI reset as listed above by Orlyia? If you have, did you try running addon free for a bit to see if it happened again (if you have no addons)? That would at least rule out a misbehaving addon.

I was going to ask if you were in an invasion, or some other quest with a time limit, the thought being that when you logged back on what you had been doing was no longer legitimate. But if you logged out from the Banshee’s Wail that sort of kills that theory.

The full UI reset is, at this point, something I just do after any patch.
If that is not helping, perhaps a post in the bug report forum with all information would be the thing to do.

In any case, good luck with the issue.

1 Like

The other day I logged out in borean tundra and when I logged in I was in shatt.

It’s happening more often now, and it’s happened on three different accounts on three different computers across a number of characters. Clearly, this is not a “UI reset” issue.

It’s more of a diagnostic step to rule anything out, as generally this is not happening to everyone kind of thing. hence the

comment. Usually it’s more of the server thinking you are in a place you can’t safely log in, like a shut down instance server, and it putting you in the safest spot the developers programmed into the game.

4 Likes

I’ve been having this issue ever since the patch. However, the one thing that I noticed is the lounge cushion I use when I log out, and I have used that cushion for the longest of time. When I log in, it will always send me to the cemetery. If I don’t use the cushion then it leaves me alone in the inn.

Will similar items take the same effect? Hmm, actually, I should check it out also. But yep, as it stands, when the cushion is used on the inn and log out, you will log in at the cemetery.

3 Likes

I first noticed this around Easter (one week ago). Characters log out at the mission table on the boat, and log in at Ashvane Docks… if they relocate, it’s always been to Ashvane Docks. Two different accounts, 3 different servers, and multiple characters. Seems pretty random, but it’s totally annoying.

I’d post in Bugs if you have a character(s) where the steps can be replicated. Please do include those steps for QA. Could be connected to an item I suppose, but I haven’t heard of anything of that nature - at least not yet.

3 Likes

TL/DR: Thanks for your recent follow up, which I just stumbled across. It’s no longer pertinent since I quit WoW last week, despite having several months of paid game time across both accounts.

I’ve explained very clearly what I “DO” in my “in-game” bug reports. I do NOTHING - and unlike Arkys, I do not use a lounge cushion! Yes, I explain the “nothing!” :slight_smile:

This annoying bug isn’t my reason for quitting WoW, although the fact that it happens to increase MAU by forcing unnecessary extra travel time IS a symptom of what’s killing this game.

For me, the last straw was the upcoming Mount Equipment Slot (aka MES), another blatant MAU “tax” and gold sink, masked as a feature. It’s a blatant QoL nerf posing as a solution - one in dubious search of a problem. Just like Pathfinder and every other unpopular “feature” the game has seen these last few years. While it may not be a big deal for those playing only one or two characters, for the rest of us, it’s an expensive, time-wasting, feature reducing nerf that forces unnecessary character micro-managing.

With MES’ announcement on the tail of another MAU “tax,” one which was also paraded as something new and wonderful (massive portal nerfs, but hey, shiny new portal rooms!), I can’t pretend anymore. The WoW I have loved and played since Vanilla is truly dead.

Thank you, Orlyia, for trying to help. You are one of the truly good ones, and you’re being let down by a lazy, avaricious dev team.

I can only hope investors/the Board recognize the great harm that is being caused and the players that are quitting in droves, and that they move to replace the current Dev team decision-makers with new blood. WoW needs devs that feel genuine passion for the game, and who possess the creativity and talent to create engaging content.

The current team’s approach - RNG on top of time AND rep AND unique currency gating, on top of tedious, unrewarding grinds, implemented in conjunction with a poorly masked, ever growing roll-back of popular, QoL features - has left the game in tatters.

Feedback and suggestions will not be passed on to the Development team from the Customer Support forum. For feedback on the upcoming changes to mounts, post in the “In Development” section of the forum.
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/c/in-development/rise-of-azshara-ptr-general-discussion

I’ll add this to the list of all the reasons players are “quitting in droves.” It isn’t. You don’t speak for anyone else other than yourself. It’s a lame statement with no real thought behind it. As well, “Investors/the Board” don’t take feedback from the game forums.

It is exactly the same system that was around since Vanilla. There’s a lot less of it now. You aren’t running a 40-man raid in Molten Core on Alliance and getting three Shaman items that no one in your raid can use. Or Horde getting Pally gear.
Timbermaw Hold, Thorium Brotherhood, Zandalari Tribe, Argent Dawn, Cenarian Circle, Ravenholdt, and others all had rep-gated things that you had to get to progress. Rather than just complaining because you don’t like the system, say what you would like to see instead.

It’s your opinion. It doesn’t make it fact.

If you want to give good feedback that is usable give specifics, not the vague, hyperbolic things you posted here. All that you have is that you, personally, don’t like it. Nothing you posted here could be used by the Devs to make changes. If all you wanted to do was complain, don’t. It just makes you look whiny.

11 Likes

I had this happen today, an Alliance character wound up in the Stormwind cemetery. I have an authenticator, changed the password not long ago, use SMS protect, etc. But here’s the thing, when I logged off of this toon earlier today she was sitting on that red Leather Loveseat toy - I assume this has something to do with it.

1 Like

That would likely be it. The Loveseat toy despawns and the system no longer knows where your character is.

2 Likes

This isnt just for logging out, its doing it with Zeppelins and Boats. I made a post in bug forms as well.