Cataclysm survey sent out

Trueeee, unsub and move on will be BiS in cata.

And old Azeroth IS the classic world. New Azeroth is retail - complete with all the new zones and new content …

They’re just trying to milk subs out of it at this point - rather than invest in quality content for the retail game.

2 Likes

Speak for yourself. I’m definitely in the minority, but the moment Classic was announced, my mind immediately jumped to “Cataclysm classic eventually please?”

Cataclysm was my personal favorite expansion. It had its flaws, like any other version of the game (see: Azeroth revampe, LFR, Dragon Soul). Everything else was borderline perfect, in my honest opinion.

I’m not a cutting edge raider or anything, but I definitely preferred Cataclysm’s difficulty when it came to heroic dungeons and raids. PVP was pretty great throughout the whole expansion.

There are only a few reasons cited for people hating on Cataclysm, though I don’t think those reasons are enough to say Cataclysm tarnished WoW. The only reasonable complaint for Cataclysm to me had to have been the Azeroth revamp, and MAYBE LFR (as controversial of a feature as it was). Raids and heroic dungeons being too difficult is a poor reason to hate on the expansion; just learn from your mistakes, get better gear, and try again.

1 Like

god I hope so

Exactly my point. Anything “Classic” dies when the world changes in Cataclysm.

3 Likes

Yep.

Also, I don’t enjoy feeling conned. Playing an old version of the same game in the same world as retail purely because the core game sucks and hasn’t got any good new content feels like a con. It’s Blizzard cheesing out subs without investing in quality content creation.

Recreating an old dead world to give people a taste of it when they no longer had access to it makes some sense, but rereleasing old versions of the same game in the same world with less content doesn’t, that’s a scam.

If Cata has better game systems then they should introduce those to retail. Game systems you can introduce anywhere but the old world you can’t.

Cata “Classic” and beyond is just alt retail. Scratch the Cata classic idea and make retail good again.

2 Likes

the only thing BAD about cata was raid finder and that GOD AWFUL final tier. the first 2 tiers were SO GOOD. then they… idk… got REAL LAZY. if they re-made the whole last tier id be super happy.

It stops being classic after wrath, lol cata is basically retail, not much difference between cata and shadowlands outside of level/item squishes.

its when classes started all being the same and even more unbalanced and boring. I rather play dragonflight than garbage expansions after wrath.

I’m sure you and the 12 other people will have a blast

3 Likes

The problem with this survey is that it assumes the answer ‘cataclysm with changes’ and the ‘changes decided by asking the players’.

I know from chatting to people that the most popular options people want are (not in any order):-1:

1. MoP - skipping cata (make it 80-90)
  2. Cata - little changes
  3. Cata - many changes
  4. Permanant WoTLK
  5. Classic vanilla rerun up to end of WoTLK
  6. Classic + (go in a different direction)
  7. SoM for TBC and WotLK

I personally think some of these are non-viable - but i think this question needs to be asked before assuming the answer is cata - many changes.

I also don’t think the survey gets what the big problems with cata were by asking about a lot of micro issues - and you could do a preliminary qualitative survey to get an idea of why cata was unpopular with a significant part of the player base.

If enough people, which Im going to say…a lot of people will, speak up about a wrath forever sever(s) then I think it would happen.
The majority of people have already said that they would quit if they went and continued on with cata I probably would quit if they did not offer a wrath only server I might as well just play retail

Fair, and that’s why I support them doing era servers for every xpac, let people pick and choose what they want. They did it with classic, I would have supported them doing it for TBC, even though I personally wouldn’t stay in TBC or vanilla.

And come cata, it’d be nice if they let you switch between the old world and revamped (since they have the tech now, with Zidormi’s time travel). Maybe you won’t be able to access the raids/dungeons while time travelling to old azeroth, but at least you’d have the option to level 1-60 in old/new azeroth, and collect items that were removed in the shattering.

1 Like

By the way where is this survey I’ve been playing this game for over 14 years and I never get a survey what the hell?

1 Like

I think they skipped doing it with TBC because they didn’t want to do the character cloning again (which didn’t go over well) and because TBC didn’t attract as many people as they had hoped and they probably realized people were just waiting to see if Wrath was coming (which was MUCH more popular).

TBC might have helped them build the player base, but Wrath held that base for a LONG time.

If they did this and let you level through either version, that might ease some people’s minds. I’d be ok with it if they did this.

A friend of mine said this and I believe it to be the best course of action, but it depends entirely on player pop. Classic+ continue off wotlk in a completely different direction from cata and onward with new raids/dungeons, keeping the old talent trees and class design. The main draw of classic that I’ve seen is the simplicity. Retail adds a lvl of difficulty the casual player base can hardly handle. Doing wotlk classic naxx 25 man vs any current retail raid on mythic is a night and day experience. I think a wider audience will experience wrath raids than they will retail ones outside of LFR. Casuals like to do “harder” content too, having mythic for 1% of players that the avg LFR player will never achieve or never see outside of LFR where there is 0 challenge, 5% social interaction, and the loot is significantly weaker doesn’t feel good for the majority of the players of this game. The avg LFR player can most certainly do Naxx 25 man, and will have the same gear as the best player in the game if they put the time in to show up to raid night. That same amount of time put into retail maybe gets you through normal if your just objectively not a good player. Wrath is more casual friendly than retail.

I didnt get the survey myself but… me personally, i loved cataclysm and would like to eventually see cata classic. Though personally i want a long wrath classic. Longer by far than we had fot tbc.

I’ve said by for a while now that i thonk Wrath is looked back on as better than it was and Cata is looked back on as worse than it was.

I thonk cata had only a few things wrong with it.

• the final two bosses of Dragon soul raid were a major letdown
  • RDF was great but making it cross realm made it bad. People saying it was the RDF itself that started the downfall but contained within the servers community it was incredible.
  • LFR same as my RDF comment
  • also the sacrifice of multiple major questlines really sucked

puke, please no

Nobody wants to rush to CATA bro

1 Like

Not impressed with Cata as that was the beginning of when retail as we know it was being formed.

Yeah if Blizzard didn’t allow us to keep our toons in WOTLK era servers I’d be completely done with Classic.

1 Like

Even in WOTLK some of the QOL changes and flying everywhere plus how easy it is to get loot i feel like the game already started going down hill which can be backed up further by looking at sub numbers stagnate in wotlk which eventually went to negative subs during cata.

I would prefer if they did WOTLK+ i hate parts of retail wow and would prefer for them to keep the game separate, do a WOTLK+ with new content keeping the same style of classes (not being cooldown based, same gearing in pvp etc).

I just dont see why you would want to play cata since retail is just a better version of cata. Maybe you would want to play it if retail gets no content… just implement time walking raiding in retail imo and leave classic and retail seperate like in runescape.

1 Like