Cataclysm Pets and Where to Find them

Hello again, with the ICC PTR being announced and with Cataclysm now right around the corner, I’d like to list how to obtain all of the Cataclysm pets much like how I did for the pets from Classic to WotLK. The categories will be the same with Quest, World Event, Profession, World drop, Vendor, Dungeon/Raid, Achievement, Reputation and Potential Additions.

I’ll try to explain everything clearly and I’ll also link my original post so that you can see how to obtain the pets from Classic to WotLK…

companion pets and where to find them

Quest Pets

Blue/Gold Mini Jouster

This pet is obtained by completing the quest Egg Wave from the NPC Farden Talonshrike (37,56) in Mount Hyjal.

After you’ve completed the quest you’re awarded with the choice between the two pets and after you’ve handed the quest in you can then continue to do it as a daily. After completing the daily 10 times you obtain the achievement…

The Unbeatable? Pterodactyl: BEATEN

Which will reward you with a Chirping Box that’ll contain the Mini Jouster that you didn’t pick.

Tiny Flamefly

This pet is obtained by doing the quests: SEVEN! YEP! for the Alliance from the NPC Oralius (71, 68) or if you’re Horde, Not Fireflies, Flameflies from the NPC Kibler (54, 22) in the Burning Steppes.

Brazie’s Sunflower Seeds

This pet is obtained by completing the quest Lawn of the Dead from the NPC Brazie the Botanist in Hillsbrad Foothills (33, 49). The Lawn of the Dead quest is pretty much just Plants vs Zombies, and as such the strategies used in PvZ will work for this quest.

• Have 2 rows of sunflowers for currency

• Place your Spitters (Pea Shooters) where zombies spawn until you have an entire row of them

• Complement your Spitters with a row of Freezya’s (Snow Peas) to slow down the zombies

• Use Rocknuts (Wall-Nuts) if things get a bit hairy or for just general defense.

• Stockpile sun to replace destroyed plants and so that you can always use Pumpkin Bombs (Cherry Bombs) when needed

After you’ve completed the waves and the boss is defeated you’re awarded the pet which resembles a Sunflower from PvZ.

Crimson Lasher

You gain access to this pet after completing all of the Druid of the Talon and Shadow Warden quests. To be able to complete Filling the Moonwell you also need to have obtained 125 Marks of the World Tree which are obtained mainly through dailies in The Molten Front.

The pet costs 1,200g

Hyjal Bear Cub

You gain access to this pet after completing all of the Druid of the Talon and Shadow Warden quests. To be able to complete Calling the Ancients you also need to have obtained 125 Marks of the World Tree which are obtained mainly through dailies in The Molten Front.

The pet costs 1,200g

Horde Balloon - Horde only

This pet is obtained by completing the quest: Blown Away from the NPC Jaga (48, 47) in Orgrimmar

Alliance Balloon - Alliance only

This pet is obtained by completing the quest: Blown Away from the NPC Vin (58, 53) in Stormwind

Lashtail Hatchling

This pet is obtained via a long quest chain that mainly takes place in STV which leads you into the reworked ZG. The chain is different for both Horde and the Alliance so both guides will be here.

This is ripped directly off of WoW Head so the credit goes to Glowyrm.

Horde
  1. As a member of the Horde this entire ordeal starts with The Defense of Grom’gol: Raptor Risk given by Commander Aggro’gosh in Grom’gol.

2. After completing that quest, you will automatically receive the quest A Lashtail Hatchling and the Lashtail Raptor Egg Fragment.

3. Return with the hatchling to Far Seer Mok’thardin in Grom’gol (If your bags were full check your Mail for the Egg Fragment).

4. Next he will send you on a quest called I Think She’s Hungry to feed the baby raptor murloc meat. Make sure your raptor is summoned so she can take bites out of the corpses as you kill them.

5. Now take the hatchling to the Bal’lal Ruins 33.7, 37.2 where you will find a pile of skulls on the ground, Your hatchling will run up to the pile and grab a skull from it. Now he will give you the quest Favored Skull which needs you to return to Nimboya in Grom’gol.

6. The cauldron near Nimboya will now offer the quest A Nose for This Sort of Thing.

7. Next you get the quest Who’s a Big Troll? then Skullsplitter Mojo

8. After completing the above quest line, Bloodlord Mandokir will spawn and offer a “quest” of the same name. He really just wants to steal the raptor from you because it’s special. Do not chase him when he runs off. There is more to do, you must now embark on a chain to try and save your new raptor friend from her fate.

9. Nimboya will now give you a quest to speak to Priestess Hu’rala.

10. She will lead you on a chain to try and save your new raptor hatchling friend from her terrible fate of becoming the Bloodlord’s new raptor slave. This is all your fault! But maybe you can do something about it…

Alliance
  1. For Alliance this chain starts with the quest Bad Medicine given by Brother Nimetz at the Rebel Camp.

2. Upon completion of Bad Medicine you will automatically obtain the quest Just Hatched and the Lashtail Raptor Egg Fragment. Return to Corporal Sethman at the Rebel Camp with the new hatchling.

3. He will then send you on the quest I Think She’s Hungry to feed the baby raptor some basilisk meat. Make sure you have the hatchling summoned while killing basilisks so she may take bites from the corpses as you kill them.

4. Next you must do The Fate of Kurzen given by Lieutenant Doren in the Rebel Camp. Continue on his chain and do Spared from Madness next.

5. Now take the hatchling to the Bal’lal Ruins @ 33.7, 37.2 where you will find a pile of skulls on the ground. Your hatchling will run up to the pile and grab a skull from it. Now he will give you the quest Favored Skull. Return to Osborn Obnoticus at the Rebel Camp (This is the NPC that you must have logged out then back in to see according to some Alliance players).

6. Osborn will then give you A Nose for This Sort of Thing to start trying to figure out who that skull belonged to.

7. After that do the next quest in the chain, A Physical Specimen.

8. After completing the above quest line, Bloodlord Mandokir will spawn and offer a “quest” of the same name. He really just wants to steal the raptor from you because it’s special. Do not chase him when he runs off. There is more to do, you must now embark on a chain to try and save your new raptor friend from her fate.

9. Osborn will give you a quest to go talk to Priestess Thaalia at Fort Livingston.

10. She will lead you on a chain to try and save your new raptor hatchling friend from her terrible fate of becoming the Bloodlord’s new raptor slave. This is all your fault! But maybe you can do something about it…

After that you’re tasked with killing the last boss in the reworked ZG and after that you’ll see a raptor hatchling that you can interact with which will give you the quest An Old Friend, turn that in and you’ve got yourself a Lashtail Hatchling.

Panther Cub

The quest chain to obtain this pet isn’t long, you start the chain from the Hero’s Calling board in your main major city (Stormwind/Orgrimmar). The pet is rewarded near the end of the chain.

The quest in question is the Rise of the Zandalari quest chain and it is for lvl 85 characters.

Withers

This pet is obtained by completing the quest Remembrance of Auberdine from the NPC Cerellean Whiteclaw (50, 18). If you can’t find the NPC make sure that you’ve completed the quest The Last Wave of Survivors

World Event Pets

Lunar Lantern

This pet is obtained with 50 coins of ancestry during the Lunar Festival

coins of ancestry are obtained by talking to the elder NPC’s that are scattered throughout all of Azeroth.

Creepy Crate

To obtain this pet you’ll need to complete the quest: A Friend In Need from the NPC Gretchen Fenlow (33, 50) in Elwynn Forest. There are quests that can be completed before this but you can ignore them and head straight here.

Complete the chain (I don’t think there’s much to it) and then you get rewarded the pet after completing the quest with the same name.

Snail Shell

This pet is obtained during Children’s Week, it is a new pet that’s available via the Stormwind Matron.

Legs

This pet is obtained during Children’s Week, it is a new pet that’s available via the Shattrath Matron.

Brewfest Keg Pony

This pet is obtained with 200 Brewfest Prize Tokens during Brewfest

Brewfest tokens are obtained by doing the dailies from the event.

Feline Familiar

You buy this pet with 150 Tricky Treats from a vendor in Elwynn or Tirisfal Glades during Hallow’s End.

Tricky Treats are obtained when you kill the Headless Horsemen.

Lump of Coal

You have a chance to obtain this pet when you loot a Stolen Present, which is rewarded by completing the quest “You’re a mean one” during Winter Veil.

Profession Pets

I don’t understand Archaeology well enough (or at all really) to be more specific, I’m sure that certain areas give specific fragments so if anyone understands it please let me know and I’ll change it to be more descriptive.

Clockwork Gnome

100 Dwarf Archaeology fragments

Voodoo Figurine

100 Troll Archaeology fragments

Crawling Claw

50 Tol’vir Archaeology fragments

Fossilized Hatchling

Obtained through Archaeology you need 85 Fossil Archaeology fragments

Pterrordax Hatchling

Obtained through Archaeology, you need 120 Fossil Archaeology Fragments.

Elementium Geode

Rare drop from mining Elementium nodes.

Enchanted Lantern/Magic Lamp

The recipe is sold by any major city enchanting vendor at the cost of 20 Hypnotic Dust.

The Enchanted Lantern is for the Horde, the Magic lamp is for the Alliance.

You need enchanting 525 to be able to make it.

Magic lamp

The recipe is sold by any major city enchanting vendor at the cost of 20 Hypnotic Dust.

While the recipe is Alliance specific, the Magic Lamp itself isn’t and can be sold on the AH for the Horde to obtain it.

You need enchanting 525 to be able to make it.

De-Weaponized Mechanical Companion

Taught by any engineering trainer.

Personal World Destroyer

Taught by any Enginneering trainer.

World Drop Pets

Mr. Grubbs

Before you can farm this pet first you must locate the NPC Fiona, her location seems to be denoted on the map by a caravan much like the airships in Icecrown but I’m getting mixed messages, she might just be near the bridge to WPL. Once you’ve located her, accept the quests Gidwin Goldbraids and Tarenar Sunstrike and find them.

Gidwin Goldbraids is located at 4, 36 near where Tirion used to be and Tarenar Sunstrike is located near the Crown Guard Tower (the very first tower if you’re coming into EPL through WPL).

Once you’ve found them complete the quests that they offer, after you’ve completed them head back to Fiona, she’ll have new quests available, ignore all of them except Fiona’s Lucky Charm. Accepting this quest will grant you a buff that will persist until you leave EPL, head over to a populated area and start killing, you’ll start to get an item called Hidden Stash and it’s this item that contains Mr. Grubbs.

Fox Kit

There seems to be two of these listed in WoW Head, one that’s purchased off of the NPC’s Quartermaster Brazie and Pogg. The other is a world drop… Since I thought it was a world drop first I’ll leave it here but I’ll have both ways listed as both might be applicable.

Purchased from Quartermaster Brazie if you’re Alliance or from Pogg if you’re Horde for 200 Tol Barad Commendations. You must be exalted to purchase.

Dropped by Baradin Foxes located in Tol Barad Peninsula

Tiny Shale Spider

This pet is dropped by Jadefang in Deepholm (61, 22). The mob is a rare spawn and it seems that it might be hard to get to?

Here is a guide I found on WoW Head on how to get into the cave
  1. Get the Underground Economy daily quest from Ricket, a goblin NPC located just inside the Crumbling Depths. More specifically, get the Bombs provided for this quest. NOTE: This daily quest is not available every day. If Ricket has no quest for you, come back each day until she does.

1. Follow the path further inside until you get to a large chamber. From here, go through the rightmost tunnel, and turn left at the next path split.

1. At the end of the path you will reach a ledge overlooking the chamber we started in and with a direct view of the cave Jadefang spawns in.
  2. You may have noticed that the cave Jadefang spawns in is too high to reach; this is where the bombs we got from Ricket are put to use. Namely, you must use them to jump to the cave.

1. Using the bombs will place one on the ground in front of you; the bomb itself, when it detonates, will knock you away from it at a high speed and height. What you want to do is line up your jump so the cave with Jadefang in it is directly in front of you, then place a bomb. After that you move so you are between the bomb and the cave, and spam your jump button. You can also place a bomb with the cave behind you, and then just jump repeatedly in place. Either will work. Try to do this as close to the edge as you can for best results.

1. Success! You should be in the cave. If Jadefang is not in there, (She’s hard to miss, as she stands right at the back and looks different from the other (Non-aggressive) spiders up here) then all you need to do is either camp the spot or hang onto the quest and check back later.

The pet should be a 100% drop chance.

Vendor Pets

Darkmoon Balloon, Cub, Monkey, Tonk, Turtle and Zeppelin

Purchased with 90 Darkmoon prize tickets

Lil’ Tarecgosa

Becomes available after completing the legendary caster weapon.

Costs 1,500g from the guild vendor

Flimsy Darkmoon, Yellow and Green Balloon

Bought from the Darkmoon Faire for 10s each (only usable on DMF island and might be toys rather than pets).

Winterspring Cub

This pet is bought from Michelle De Rum in Everlook, Winterspring for 50g.

Achievement Pets

Rustberg Gull

This pet is purchased from the NPC Quartermaster Brazie if you’re Alliance or from Pogg if you’re Horde from Tol Barad Peninsula. The pet costs 50 Tol Barad Commendations and you must be at least Honored before you can purchase the pet.

Armadillo pup

This pet is unlocked by killing 50k critters, granting you the achievement Critter Kill Squad, you can then purchase the pet through a guild vendor for 300g

(you need to be exalted with your guild)

Brilliant Kaliri

This is obtained after collecting 125 unique pets

Celestial Dragon

This is obtained after collecting 150 unique pets

Guild Page

This pet becomes available after completing the achievement Alliance/Horde Slayer, where you need to get kill every race playing each class.

The pet only lasts 5min and acts as a guild vendor (8h CD) and shares a cooldown with the Guild Herald.

Dark Phoenix Hatchling

You obtain this pet after getting exalted with 55 factions, the achievement is called “United Nations”.

Guild Herald

This pet is unlocked after completing the achievement: Profit Sharing, which you obtain after looting 100,000g.

Once you’ve obtained this achievement you can then purchase this pet from a guild vendor.

This pet only lasts 5min and acts as a guild vendor with a 4h CD, this also shares a cooldown with the Guild Page.

Nut’s Acorn

This is obtained after collecting 100 unique pets

Pebble

This is obtained after completing Lost in the Deeps daily 10 times from the NPC Pyrite Stonetender (55, 15) in Deepholm.

Potential Additions

Lil’ Deathwing

This might be the collectors edition pet.

That’s it, that’s all of the pets that’ll become available with Cataclysm. If I made a mistake or if I’ve left something out please let me know and I’ll be sure to update it.

7 Likes

thumps up for this info

Char got Not pet = i assume its noob or pretender
:dracthyr_blob_dance_animated:

anglo du***mb asses always claim my minipet is not rare? because i just put cockroach
Then i take out jacinthe macaw from the Gluff compartment (rarest classic pet TO THIS DAY) who is laughing nowÉ

edit to fix potate ENG

Haha, I was lucky enough to get the Hyacinth Macaw from a drop, was thinking about buying for so long but I didn’t want to spend 10k for it. I only got into pet collecting at the tail end of TBC in preparation for WotLK and now I have 104.

Only ones I’m missing are the blue clockwork bot, razzashi and gundrak raptors and I think that’s it.

may be most on world or least NA?
ever thought put it on u-chube? pet collecter will love this

Nah haven’t thought of putting it on Youtube, I don’t know how to edit videos and I find talking to no one very awkward.

1 Like

Damn. You put a lot of work into this thread.

It’s too bad it’ll likely be buried and likely forgotten.

Responding to give a bump in support. :+1:

I’d rather just skip Crapa and go straight to MoP.

It’s really for myself to use, the first one I made for Classic > WotLK still gets some likes every now and then so people do look for it.

1 Like

id rather skip mop and go straight to wod.

You’d probably be the only player there. :no_mouth:

I’d be right there with them. I liked WoD. The class design and gameplay of most classes at that time was incredible. Wasted on most people, though.

On topic: Thanks for the thread, OP! Bookmarking it for future use, in case classic Cata does happen.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.