Casuals should dictate phase rollouts, not hardcores

OP not realizing that Blizzard constantly catering to the lowest common denominator is what led the game to what it is now. :^)

6 Likes

But we’re not changing any game systems with this. Just don’t want the content to be released too quickly. :slight_smile:

I really wouldn’t expect content patches to be any less than 3 months

well, I agree but it would be difficult to make it to where only certain people could decide that.

Most players back then and now have terrible time management. They have no idea how to maximize their time, and it doesn’t take a “hardcore” mindset to understand this.
Make yourself a timetable of how much time you have, and what you want to do and allocate the time accordingly.

Blizzard listened to people like OP, we got LFG, LFR and stupid additions. Because you have little time to commit to a MMORPG doesn’t mean everything has to revolve around you, and how little time you have. You either need to accept that fact or don’t play the game

4 Likes

That sounds like an odd misinterpretation to me. The people who hope for Mythic CrossRealm raiding are not casuals. Actual casuals may not even be completing Heroic versions of those raids.

That delay mostly seems aimed at two things: (1) allowing existing guilds a chance, and make sure the tuning is appropriate, and (2) slowing down the raid carry advertising. The former, because while some CrossRealm groups may be as good as (or better), many may be closer to PUG level competence. The latter, especially, because what will cross-realm do but basically make it a free-for-all in selling raid carries for gold.

And, really, a mere 100 Alliance and Horde guilds (aka 2000 players)? Did they actually say IF, or ONCE. Because I’d be shocked to find they thought it would be hard for that few hardcore players to cross that finish line in a reasonable time-frame.

As a casual player (plenty of time to play, but no desire to race for end-game), I have absolutely no problem with the phases being closer together because enough “hardcore” players complete them. The end-game will be there when I get there, now or 2 years from now. Why should everyone who finishes Molten Core wait on me and those like me who might not even step past that portal for a year?

2 Likes

Not sure why this would have to be determined in black and white but whatever. Sounds selfish to me.

This requested was raised due to a few days ago a thread appearing on these forums with a request to move content forward. This request was made by a self proclaimed hardcore player.

I would hope that the release of content is as close to the original release as possible, which looks to be about 3 months on average for each phase.

I want to be able to enjoy Classic as closely as original players enjoyed Vanilla with a similar timeline. I just hope people won’t come to the forums after two months of content and then start requesting phases be released sooner.

I’m not quite sure why you’re concerned with how little or how much time I have to commit to an MMORPG. I have plenty of time to commit to this game. This request was exactly because I have plenty of time. I want to enjoy my time with the game. But I do not want others to feel rushed.

The original timeline if condensed into phases showed about 3 months per phase, if you went through patches 1.1 - 1.12 by the dates they were released. I think that would be a good rollout schedule. But because certain guilds are able to go above and beyond and split run the raids to funnel gear to their mains, content release shouldn’t be sped up to please their requests.

No, it doesn’t. This is 1.12, not 2.0.

In raids, only BoE paladin/shaman gear can drop cross-faction. Put it up on the neutral AH and make some gold.

I’d agree.

I’d also give my caveat that because my vanilla perspective was starting in June 2006, all the content existed from Day 1 for me, I came in to necropoli outside of major cities, and when I moved to Sentinels which was a new realm I got to experience the AQ event. Hence, I wouldn’t feel any sense of rush even if content phases were one month apart, or any sense it was too slow if they were six months apart. I set my own pace.

I’m not quite following how this matters, though. It’s not new content being released in the BfA case. It’s access to the exact same content, but to a broader pool of players who will have to be at a similar skill level. (By not opening it until that criteria is met, the guilds gunning for early completion can’t just build more split run teams with cross realm players.)

The game has enough room for everyone.

Yes, scheduled content chunks would be best.

True on many levels, from class redesign to all these convenience, I no longer get people asking me to portal them somewhere because there are portals in major cities like ironforge and what not. I no longer feel like a mage, and I am restricted to either frost fire or arcane so it sucks not being able to slow players with rank 1 frost bolt as fire anymore.

Shouldnt the rollout be dictated by the original schedule? Give or take?

2 Likes

This certainly WOULD be the proper position; IF new content did not in many ways obviate the old. Fewer pugs, more easily available gear, etc.

Blizzard should dictate phase rollouts, not players.

sorry to break it to ya but MC is gonna be cleared week 1

1 Like

“Time Management.” The very phrase makes me shudder. The entire outlook I have on gaming explicitly involves doing what I want, when I want, with almost zero commitment. The moment I commit to something, it becomes part job.

So not only would I prefer not to make such a timetable and allocate time accordingly, I don’t even have clear goals in mind to begin with! My goal, literally, as I just sat down today was, “Maybe I’ll futz about on Ark today. Or maybe not.” That was the extent of it.

So yes, one of the main aspects to a “hardcore mindset” is a focus on maximization of time. I agree it doesn’t take a hardcore mindset to understand it, but it does take one to have it. By definition, partly anyway.

1 Like

Early EQ progression servers worked that way, with new content opening as soon as the old content was cleared. It was a nightmare where guilds got to the point in the game where the game stopped being fun within a few months, then stagnated.

Looking at other posts on the same topic, I almost want BWL to come out 12 months after launch. That way all the “I’ve got to be world first!” people will have already gotten bored with Classic and left after someone got MC in the first week.

1 Like

Hasn’t blizzard catered to casual fans enough?

This. Why do you think World Of Warcraft is in such a poor state? Because they started appealing to casual players when Blizzard Activision became a thing. Rather than forcing people to conform to the game, they conformed to the people, tearing apart this once beloved game an expansion at a time.

I am by no means a hardcore modern world of warcraft player. That is because I have no interest in progression nor have I since Cata. The reason why the game was so good back in the day, is it did not conform to what you wanted. It was a game that did not try to appeal to every person under the sun. Which is why I laugh when people call me “Nostalgic” for classic “Vanilla/BC/WOTLK” Until the dungeon finder game out

I am not nostalgic for classic, I want to play the superior version of World Of Warcraft. The version that existed when Blizzard’s design philosophy was about making WoW a rich experience, instead of today where it is about watering everything down just in case little Timmy or his mommy want to play. This isn’t World Of Warcraft anymore, this is Cosmetics Of Mountcraft, which is all about accessibility.

I want my MMORPG back. World Of Warcraft became the greatest and most popular MMORPG of all time during Vanilla and BC for a reason, because the game was incredible, a game that was butchered and ruined in the name of “accessibility” and “appealing to everyone”.

Sorry about this rant. But when I hear causals whining about the rate of content speed being dictated by the casuals, I get a bit pissed.

FYI - I feel like the line between Hardcore and Casual is a bit blurred.

Ultracore - People who get to 60 within the first week and fly through the content at warpseed.)

Hardcore – Peple who get to 60 within the first two weeks, and work fast on progressing (I believe this is wow’s key demographic, as few people can be Ultracore."

Softcore - People who get to 60 within the first month, they want to raid but can’t dedicate a lot of time to progression because of IRL/ect. They probably get as far as MC/BWL.

Semi-Casual - People who get to 60 within the first three months. They may get as far as MC, but they won’t complete it and will likely pug it.

Casual - People who get to 60 within the first six months.

Ultra Casual - They play the game, they might get to 60 in the first year?

Ultracore/Hardcore should be the ones guiding content, not the bloody casuals.

1 Like