Casuals should dictate phase rollouts, not hardcores

Recently I’ve been reading about phase rollouts and what people think about them. Generally how long the phases should be and so on.

Right now in Battle for Azeroth, Blizzard promised the community if “100 alliance and horde guilds kill Mythic Jaina, we’ll enable Mythic CrossRealm raiding”.

This is putting a feature behind a finish line that only hardcore players can cross. I just hope we do not end up in a situation where the game is released and Molten Core is cleared within the first month. Then a countdown happens. So now that some folks have cleared the content, they start to roll out the next phase so those hardcore players can be entertained.

The phases should be rolled out with a casual player in mind. And I hope the Classic team has this mindset. :slight_smile:

29 Likes

it could be possible for some diehards to actually do that, or in the first 2 months, all depends on how serious those types take it.

They could try to mirror the content to release roughly how it did back then too.

I sure hope releases aren’t dictated by numbers, bean counters, and MAUs. Retail’s release schedule feels so artificial. Like they time releases for maximum profit and not maximum fun.

5 Likes

Pacing of content is always a tough thing to plan. Too fast, and most of the player base is playing catch-up. Too slow, and harder players burn out or get bored. I personally lean toward slower.

4 Likes

I agree, I want the phases to be longer.

I want to relish each and every phase. This is most likely the last time we’ll be able to do this.

There is no way I’ll be able to down MC before DM comes out… it’ll take a good 2 months to get to 60.

15 Likes

Hasn’t blizzard catered to casual fans enough?

14 Likes

No offense intended but I very much disagree. They had the casual player in mind when they decided to cut 40 man raiding, they had the casual player in mind when they gave us access to 300% speed flying mounts, they had the casual player in mind for LFG & LFR. They had the casual player in mind when they cut the honor system, they had the casual player in mind when they started giving epics out for doing quests. They also had the casual player in mind when they made raids have 3 different difficulty’s. They had casuals in mind when they added crossrealm technology. Look what catering to the casual got us.

Why is it an issue that players have access to BWL, ZG, AQ or Naxx when you’re still in MC, this isn’t BFA, where only the current content matters. And everything else is obsolete. This is classic where every single dungeon and raid is relevant throughout the course of the game.

-Sinclaire -Torch-

28 Likes

I’m saying if there are guilds clearing the raids first or second month into a phase it shouldn’t mean that the next phase is released.

4 Likes

“Casual” has nothing to do with numbers of warm bodies in a raid. Content can be difficult without necessitating you bring 39 friends.

You’re right it’s much harder to coordinate 10 people to step out of the fire, then it is to get 40 people to step out of the fire.

To play devil’s advocate here, I think this is partly a player created issue. We have so many people that consume all content like locusts at maximum speed and are then looking for more.

2 Likes

I’m going to bet that Blizzard will roll out the phases timed roughly as things opened up in Vanilla. Figure on 3-4 month between each phase.

3 Likes

Is there some kind of a limit on the number of people in chat your “get out of the fire” reaches? Sorry, but raiding is not difficult. In fact it camouflages a lot of bads.

Tell that to the 300+ attempts it took to kill Mythic Jaina from the best raiding wow guild on the planet.

We are talking about early WoW here blair, not the mess that is BFA.

I repeat:
“Casual” has nothing to do with numbers of warm bodies in a raid. Content can be difficult without necessitating you bring 39 friends.

1 Like

Look, coming from someone who used to be hard core (30-40) hours a week easily, it doesn’t matter really.

I feel as long as they manage to seperate content every few months, pushing Naxx out to about a year, it’s fine. Honestly, only a few guilds will push for server firsts.

Most of us, the vast majority, will take our time anyways. Partly due to having lives to live and partly due to knowing there’s nothing after that except rinse repeat. Sure there’s the possibility of added content or expansions, but I have my doubts there…

So as long as there’s a few months between content releases, it’ll be fine.

2 Likes

Considering that no guild downed Ragnaros before Dire Maul came out back in the day, that would be a more authentic experience would it not?

There will be guilds who down Rag before the end of the first week :confused:

A somewhat natural release schedule will be fine. If Blizzard wanted to just dump it all in the game they would be starting that way.

Im just curious about the release schedule I guess. I just don’t want people to feel rushed or feel like they’re left behind.

If the release schedules happen to quickly due to players consuming content because they played a lot, the average person shouldn’t be left behind. They should have a chance to down Molten Core when it is “current” content. Same with BWL, ZG, AQ and all of the other raids.

The original release schedule was a few months between patches. So if we’re dealing with phases that encompass two patches, 5 months between phases should be enough.

I just don’t want hardcore guild X complaining they have to wait 5 months before AQ is released because they downed BWL in the first month.

1 Like