Casual PvP battlegrounds are completely, utterly broken

Weren’t there BG blues available? And difference between arena and BG items was like 6 item levels or so?

I’m not trolling, I’m just generally curious, as I’m seriously looking into playing TBC instead.

1 Like

Yep. This is the problem that players seem to not want to acknowledge and it’s insane.

Did you not read what was said? The rating requirements was removed and it became a much preferable system for casuals to enter into PvP because even the Devs acknowledged it was dumb. They still had to go through the Honor and Conquest grind but that was it.

9 Likes

In 2 of the seasons, sure. That’s not the whole expansion.

Who said the current state wasn’t like that? People are bringing up when the game was better and you, with no knowledge of how it worked for the better part of 8 years, try to talk down to them.

Not really. You could get perfectly fine PvP gear through random PvP in vanilla, so the first 3 years are out. TBC only had two seasons with rating gates, so not even the whole two years. Wrath had rating gates, sure, so 2 years there. Then we had 8 years where casuals could either get BiS gear through unrated PvP or gear didn’t matter. And scaling during BFA closed the gap between the heroic ilvl gear offered for even just opening boxes in war mode and rated gear. Then you have a few months of SL where you needed to do rated.

Doesn’t seem like the majority of the game to me.

8 Likes

Half of players in wrath queued for randoms, for the entertainment value.

2 Likes

You had a blue set from rep vendors which was pretty garbage, raid gear is probably better just for bigger damage. Then you could farm the previous set with honor, so if T5 is out, you can get T4 with honor, but you only attain the CURRENT seasons gear with arena and ratings. So you’ll always be at a disadvantage unless you do arena.
Compared to SL you can still get geared without even touching PvP and do well since there’s no resilience.

It used to be that randoms were for casuals who wanted to PvP, and rated was for the good people. And while sometimes good people who liked randoms did them, mostly it was casuals, not elites.

1 Like

But item level between tiers was like 6 item levels, so like now between rating brackets?

It was bigger than 6 item levels.

1 Like

The difference between honor gear and conquest gear in wod, when you account for the level squish was the equivalent of 3.5 ilvls.

Educate me on why 1 Honor set and 1 Conquest set was bad.

The thread isn’t about gearing through BGs, it’s about people being monstars in BGs. I’m telling you it’s always been this way, no gear, get farmed.

1 Like

The gear disparity, in my opinion, has never been this big/bad as it is now.

9 Likes

It isn’t, it was good for alts. Like I mentioned, the thread is about scrubs getting pub stomped in BGs. I’ve been doing that since 08.

Lol, you clearly never played wotlk or cata then. Dragonslayers were GOD in pvp.

And for casuals who didn’t want to get roflstomped in Random BGs. You are displaying a clear lack of knowledge of previous expansions PvP gearing systems.

6 Likes

The threads about getting stomped. I’m saying it’s always been this way. Reread my first post.

You could get the gear from randoms, is the point everyone is trying to make to you. You didn’t have to do anything else to have your BiS. Suffer for like a weekend and you’re competitive. Not possible in unrated content now.

7 Likes

Even in wod a weekend wouldn’t get you even close to full pvp gear via honor. Conquest was much, much faster. Full set was like 200 BGs and you HAD to win, if you lost every BG it took significantly longer.

And I’m saying you have no idea what you’re talking about and constantly side stepping the clear point that’s being made on how casuals could actually compete in Random BGs against high rated players. Again, you are showing how much you know.

4 Likes

Okay it was 13 ilvl, 10ilvl, 13 and 13 over the seasons in TBC, looked it up on wowwiki. Still not as bad as 26 item levels right now. And the first season only requires rating on shoulders and weapon according to https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/beta-arena-rating-update-may-15/964984

1 Like