Casual PvP battlegrounds are completely, utterly broken

Not to mention you could farm honor while leveling and buy a whole set of pvp armor before you even hit 80

4 Likes

With all the nonsensical and just plain bad changes they’ve made over the last few expansions, your answer is as good as any I’ve heard.

5 Likes

Come to think of it, I’ll be 100% honest about my gearing strategy in 9.0, as Blizzard doesn’t even read their own forums anyway, and they are messing things up even further in 9.1.

In early 9.0, Honor gear could not be upgraded very far so I geared up through Mythic Zeros and then got my 3x3 rating up to 1800 (for rank upgrade privileges) before people had a chance to gear up through other means.

Then I farmed rated BGs for Conquest and Great Vault Honor to earn the actual Conquest gear.

Then I farmed Honor through unrated BGs in order to upgrade all the Conquest gear.

Note that this all happened in the opposite order of how it should have happened, and I am sure I was not alone in gaming the system this way. (I was in fact deleting Horde toons in unrated BGs, and totally ignored the Honor gear system.)

3 Likes

Funny how people didn’t complain like this back when you could get that arena gear in a weekend.

3 Likes

News to me, there was a honor/badge set and the rest was through arena and arena ratings only.

Sure, against others in greens, but I used to go 120-0 in AV in wotlk on my DK/Ret/MM hunt. Me and my friends would dominate entire 40 man teams with 5 of us.

Eh, both teams have a range of geared folks.

Nevertheless, ilevel brackets would be better.

You might be thinking of the really early days before Conquest was even a thing. (And even then, Honor gear was decent and did not require rated PvP.)

I am referring to the days when Honor and Conquest were both a thing, and rating was only absolutely necessary for the elite weapon, etc.

I remember with 100% certainty that I earned full Honor sets and then full Conquest armor sets on toons in WoD and earlier, and I did not even touch rated PvP until Legion when I had to do 10 rated BGs to unlock artifact appearances.

2 Likes

I only raided in WoD. I vaguely remember my hunter having full pvp gear though, but idk if I did arena on him or not.

I was saying this exact phrase as soon as I heard how honor gear was going to work, before the expansion launched.

2 Likes

How about you learn how PvP gearing worked first before telling people it’s a L2P issue?

11 Likes

You mean how it worked vaguely in one xpac, that’s not even how it originally worked lmao.

for sure i leveled a resto sham for fun and when i got capped i got the full set of covenant gear in a few days of extremely casual gameplay.

1 Like

Dang it’s almost like the PvP Devs got to a point there was only 1 Honor and 1 Conquest set and that’s all you needed to compete only to dumpster it in the next expansion. Did you fall asleep during WoD?

3 Likes

They weren’t old enough to remember WoD, let’s be real here.

7 Likes

I have US 100 CEs from WoD, nice try old head.

It’s almost like your PvE achievements don’t equate to PvP at all

6 Likes

In two expansions. Really 1 1/2 considering TBC didn’t have rating gates the whole time. Then we had 3 that had every piece of BiS PvP gear available even from random BGs with the sole exception being t2 weapons which were removed by competent devs who acknowledged that rating gates are dumb. And then another expansion where gear didn’t matter at all.

7 Likes

Yeah it’s the reason why I stopped playing. It’s just not fun facing 226 rbg heroes players. And it feels that only they are left, because only they are actually having fun.

I’m kind of low key giddy to see all the tears when it’s going to be twice as hard to get rating in Season 2 because all the casuals have left, and the bottom of MMR is going to be populated by today’s 226 players.

13 Likes

TBC had hardcore rating gates. If you weren’t above 1600 you were only wearing half a set lmao. So you acknowledge the system changes between xpacs. So my description is 100% accurate of the current state, so take it or quit.

It still stands in the OG game from classic-wotlk PvP has always been get geared via PvE or do arena to substantial ratings or get stomped. It’s been this way for the majority of the game, so you can prefer one system over another, but the root of BGs has always been enter moderately geared.
Going in rn with 15-25k hp this late in the tier is akin to spitting on your team mates tbh.