Casual Players Have No Endgame in BFA: Low Level M+ Needs a Redo

Yup. Wildstar made it hard and look where they are at.

Ooops they are gone.

You need something for the masses. Not only for the 1% only.

Wrath worked because there was something for everyone. Blizzard idea worked for once.

Then came Cata. I guess they didn’t like 13+ million subs. And decided to make even 5 mans brutal.

How did that work out? It didn’t and people left in droves.

Low level raid should be that low level.

Low level 5 mans should be just that.

Low level M+ should be just that low level. It shouldn’t be designed around higher level players who will never do them anyway.

You think even the densest people would get it. But by this thread I see they just don’t.

Keeping player is giving them something to do.

Locking them out of low level Keys will keep player away.

Again tuning low level keys around players who will never do them is good game design how?

How can you be so sure of an expansion you weren’t around for? WOTLK was good… the first half was great, that is where the mass of subscribers was. The content was hard, it was supposed to be hard once you got out of the beginner trenches. Ulduar was a massive raid, Naxx was no easy feat either. There were no casuals raiding Naxx. Ulduar was a little more forgiving in Normal. These were massive dungeons that took the better part of a week to get though.

The second of half of WOTLK was terrible, I remember it August 2008, Argent everything was terrible, the raid there was a pain with fifty million lockouts to do. The content before it was to trivial so farming 5 mans was only done to grind badges. Wyrmrest temple had something for everyone too, the harder content was aimed at players with more skill.

What’s wrong with creating content for players with a higher skill set than the average player? This is the reason the masses work hard and want to be there. I suppose blizzard should just handout loot for paying for a subscription?

It is the hard content and rewards that create novelty and desire, without it no one would want to work harder and try harder to get it accomplished.

No such thing outside of going passed a level 5 Mythic keystone. Even previous expansion 5 mans became a snore. WOTLK, Cataclysm, Pandaria, … 5 mans heroics were so trivial I could heal, tank, and DPS as enhancement. A literal faceroll and the heroic was over.

The term Content for the 1% is a has been trivialized and overused. Today the one percent refers to players with a pulse and are invested in the game. The 1% are just people that get something done before everyone else does.

Truly hard content is in the far reaches of M+ keystones, it doesn’t exist in game anymore outside of that. The days of original Naxx, SSC, Kara, TK, are gone; players aren’t as invested and they are not going to sit around farming mats for weeks to make resistance gear for one specific boss. (I was the warlock tank for illidan and Lotheras the bland) weeks… weeks… farming frost gear for Sapphiron, just to get a chance at KT and watch one idiot keyboard turn and wipe the raid.

Hard content in the game is not out of reach of anyone,

skill cap… well that’s just a reality some players have to learn to accept. We all can’t be NBA, NFL, Formula 1 drivers; Maybe I should create a fuss over at the NBA that they are not creating enough player spots for unskilled, unathletic, short people.

I wish i could grind mythic raid content like others do, sometimes a bit a envious. It doesn’t mean blizzard should make the content easier to get tough because I have a wife and kids and a job. Some things are just for those who have the time and the lack of responsibility to other things in life.

Stay frosty my friend, breathe easy and chill.

2 Likes

nothing more ‘brutal’ than avoiding big shiny AOE effects on the ground or pressing your interrupt buttons once every 12-45 seconds (depending on class)

so ‘brutal’ I work up a huge sweat doing it every time, whew

blizzard increasingly created a WoW game culture where good rewards are dissociated from challenging (at the intended gear level) content, and then wonder why it all blows up in their face regarding player retention ?

2 Likes

The extra fort or tyranical at low levels isn’t the problem. Yes, it slows down the run but the rest is pretty irrelevant in terms of difficulty. Should still be easily 2 to 3 chested even if its SOS.

The problem is the introductory affix at 4 can radically alter the difficulty in certain weeks.

It is. That’s why high level players only do it to relax.

LOL. As a healer, I don’t do low level dungeons to relax. In fact, low keys are more stressful and miserable than high keys, because the same mechanics exist but they’re much, much less likely to be dealt with. High level players generally only exacerbate this problem because they figure it’s so easy they don’t need to do mechanics.

4 Likes

A level 2-9 dungeon in BFA requires 30% more DPS to chest than the same level dungeon in Legion did. It’s a significant increase in difficulty no matter what way you want to look at it. The dungeons are mechanically more difficult and have much more stringent DPS requirements than they did in Legion.

3 Likes

I avoid Mythic because of Raider IO. It is a core problem that leads to extreme toxicity in Mythics. I do one single +5 a week and that is it.

There is no reason on this Earth that I would subject myself to the type of people Mythic + is attracting right. Just the worst of the worst people in WoW in one single place.

I have never had a positive experience in anything passed Mythic + as I see human being turn into the most toxic hateful people I have ever seen. I have seen people telling tanks to go kill themselves in real life on ONE BAD PULL or telling DPS they are autismos not worth living.

Blizzard supports this system and Mythic + has gotten a reputation it deserves so people avoid it.

3 Likes

Ahh well. Might as well make a thread calling for a ban on all pug M+ seeing as how that’s where the problem lies… right?

That’s crazy. Its unfortunate you’ve had such a bad experience with them. I pug dungeons all the time and I have to say the majority of them are pleasant experiences. Sure I’ve bumped into the occasional toxic person, but they’re far and few in between.

3 Likes

I think mythic + dungeons would be in a better state if Blizzard would just balance them better. Certain bosses are still overtuned in 5 mans, and certain fortified dungeons like king’s rest, shrine, add teeming on top of that and it’s hell.

There’s more, but in-general I want better dungeon balancing, and better alpha and beta testing.

As a tank I have to disagree with this. Threat is about the only thing that keeps me from falling asleep in leveling dungeons. Threat should be a basic mechanic in all dungeons, if only to forestall the annoying dungeon zerging approach.

If there are too many mechanics in low M+, they should get rid of some of the other mechanics. They could start by getting rid of the affixes in the lowest M+ levels, similar to Legion.

It’s too late to change the fundamental dungeon design philosophy in BFA, but for future expansions, they need to have a difficulty level where you need to have basic class skills to survive, but don’t need a lot of memorization of artificial mechanics. Right now, the opposite is the case: you have to memorize the dungeon specific mechanics, but you don’t have to have significant class skills, at least on DPS, until higher plusses. That’s a problem.

1 Like

The biggest issue was the fortified/Tyrannical changes. Before pushing a key to +10 was actually fairly easy. Tyrannical and Fortified didn’t come into play until then. This also meant there was little chance of failure in a +8 or +9 so people weren’t as stringent about who they bring with them.

Now every 2+ key is either fortified or Tyrannical. Trash is deadly even at a +4 on Fortified, and i ESPECIALLY agree with your 2nd point.

I used to just be able to pop an X on something and say, hey rogue guy, interrupt the X. Now i have to remember whatever crazy name you’ve assigned to your kill everyone or heal the annoyingly tanky mob to full, or the shield everyone around you from 75% of all damage spell. I can’t just say interrupt X, i have to say interrupt Swift Mending, and ignore Anchor. I have to remember what can be purged and what can’t (purge the shield interrupt the furious quake in Motherlode). I have to convey this information to those who DON’T know or remember, and it’s different for every pack of trash.

It’s also FURTHER ruined group balance because one solution to not being able to memorize hundreds of different spell names is to simply interrupt EVERYTHING. There is a reason most meta comps involve 2 melee dps.

5 Likes

I think the high interrupt requirement is a real issue at all levels of play. How often do you ever see double ranged groups, unless one is a shaman? Was there any MDI group with double ranged?

You need 3 short CD players in a lot of places, which basically means the tank and 2 melee unless you just never pull more than 1 pack.

2 Likes

Top teams in MDI ran Boomie and Afflock in MDI , if I recollect.

Literally every group was Rogue-DH-other except for one group which ran an unholy DK instead of a DH.

Yeah this is the biggest issue with this expansion’s M+. Adding fortified/tyrannical not only makes them more difficult, it also makes the timer much tighter leaving much less room for error. A single wipe is often enough to cause you to fail the timer. In legion you’d have to be wiping constantly to not make the timer.

1 Like

Even if this was the case Boomies are kinda a special case. Their interrupt is a long cd but it’s an AOE and also silences for 10 seconds. That’s long enough to kill most packs, “or at least shrink them down to 1 or 2 of the tankiest mobs,” without a single cast going off.

The damage and health multipliers are not additive, they’re multiplicative. The difference between a 4 and a 5 in Legion and now isn’t so huge that it’s actually making a difference in how easy it is to clear content.

The difference is in how much you can overgear the content. Between relics and legendaries you got a lot more free ilvl over what was actually possible to obtain from content than now, so average power was just higher.