Casual Players Have No Endgame in BFA: Low Level M+ Needs a Redo

Again you seem to be completely ignoring the original point that the system in legion was fine and people liked it much better.

1 Like

Dunno why you like to type so much crap Aewendil. It’s not like you’ve done anything worthwhile.

1 Like

Because most people like free gear?

Knowing how to play your class is enough to get to 7. Not standing in fire takes you to 10. Neither of these things are hardcore.

I can’t tell if this is all trolling, but putting in no effort should never be rewarded. It is a game afterall.

2 Likes

You guys are sure inconsistent with your trolling.

If knowing how to play your class and not stand in fire is enough to get to 10, does that mean you’re taking people with 0 .io score based on their raid achievements to your 7-9s?

Of course not. Because knowing how to play your class and not stand in fire is not nearly enough. You also have to know the mechanics of the dungeon, the affixes, the pulls, the route and many more things in order to succeed at that level.

3 Likes

If you know the fires, you aren’t 0. Knowing things require doing things. Doing things passively awards score. It’s like you just don’t want to understand things.

If you’re asking if I’d take a 500, sure. It wouldn’t be any different than playing with a good portion of my guild.

Edit: missed that you said 7-9. I’d take anyone. I can carry the vast majority of that level (explosive not withstanding)

1 Like

if you are struggling in +2, it’s not because trash have 8% more hp and dmg.

3 Likes

I started feeling bad for the casuals ever since they over tuned the bursting affix but now I can see it goes much further than that.

1 Like

You are not wrong here. It seems that in most dungeons (besides FH, AD, and WM depending on which side opens at the start) a couple of wipes will most certainly mean a depleted key. Shrine of the Storm and King’s Rest are the biggest offenders in that regard.

2 Likes

I’ll agree to the latter. Trash deadly enough to not be able to double pull and a time that almost requires it.

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind if they brought back the Proving Grounds in a way but instead have it instead of just being a way of proving your abilities as a healer/tank/dps, also have some semi teaching aspect so people that aren’t that good various things that they didn’t learn over the course of leveling that character (because during that time they didn’t really need to to be able to easily keep leveling their characters), could likely learn at least partially.

They could just go Mario Maker with the Proving Grounds. Have the ability to form an AI team around you, spawn in a boss or compose trash packs up to X size of any mobs from any dungeon you’ve completed, pick affixes, and get scored on speed and avoidable damage.

And on stuff like Underrot worms where you need an interrupt rotation, the NPCs call out theirs and ask for yours to get people used to coordinating that.

1 Like

A simple game of Frogger would teach them oodles. But yeah, I’m in favour of training/teaching. Most people want to log on and play, not read external websites and watch YouTube videos. Having something in game again would be a good way to help people learn.

2 Likes

Yes, these affixes are 100% the reason there is a perception of lower keys being difficult.

They are always the first affix to encourage you to learn the dungeon’s core mechanics. It might not make a difference if you know the dungeon inside and out, only run with guild groups, and are over-geared for lower keys. There are still plenty of players out there who don’t know how to deal with boss or trash mechanics.

1 Like

This is an excellent observation, and one that favors certain tanks/team compositions very well. Which may not inherently be a bad thing, but ill revisit this.

I main prot paladin. The silence from avenger’s shield is fantastic when it procs back-to-back such that I can lock down one caster or two (or maybe three, when using rebuke). however, this requires tab targeted, good situational awareness, confidence and an overall relaxed mindset. When I started on these dungeons they were intense for this reason (all the interrupts). The mobs in motherlode and shrine come to mind (the healers paired with the templars if you manage to incorrectly separate them, which is really what should happen, but mistakes are made and man do those pulls get bad FAST - even on 0’s)

Back to the group compositions: I like the ability to build a team that is optimal for a dungeon - however, that can be a curse, too, because if your common group of friends does not have much flexibility in alts, you may find your preferred group/team will have a more difficult time.

Overall, I agree with the quoted statement and much of your post.

I don’t agree with tank threat - at least, I have not had this issue during my tanking experiences in BFA (or don’t recall any, either on my Blood DK or my Prot Paladin, or my leveling prot warrior). I think it only becomes an issue with dps classes bursting quickly or miscommunication on my part (i.e. failing to explain that I will line-of-sight a group, and dps turns on their afterburners).

2 Likes

This would be very cool - like a training holodeck!

It would be worthwhile to try replicating different affixes in the proving grounds, too, to get a feel for what talents may work.

The issue I always run with is not really being able to check-out a talent in a mythic unless i’m running a good amount of back to back mythics. that can be draining with my limited time. thus, at the end of a run, I feel as though I learned something, but can rapidly apply it - and another week goes by and largely new affixes pop up.

The ability to shadow-box/warm-up set in a proving grounds with affixes could be boss.

1 Like

I’d be very tempted to go a bit ham on designing a training holodeck. Say, the teammates are selectable from the class hall celebrities, with some unique dialogue banter between them for flavor. One of your own class oversees the match as a coach, and afterward you can talk to them for a dialogue list of retrospective advice populated by what you whiffed.

The reason I’d want to do something like that is because right now there’s not really any good place to learn anything right now. M0 and below is trivial and enforces mechanics so minimally that people who aren’t already looking out for things probably won’t notice they’re getting hit at all. M+ carries the risk of depleting someone else’s key while you figure out how to not just faceroll things anymore. Back in the day the mainline content was actually challenging, and even the overworld could pose a threat. Now, you have to go pretty far before it starts showing teeth, and by then it’s too late.

3 Likes

there are no in-game resources to prepare someone for what raiding is like. nothing tells a player about bringing consumables and wiping for 3 hours and thousands of gold on repairs and those consumables, but it makes up a large part of the endgame. considering WoWs endgame has been raiding for over a decade, you would think we’d have some in-game resources, or at least one.

but in a world where you can get ilvl far above the content you have the skill to do, does this fully fleshed out tutorial system have a place? the players who care will find the information as its out there and readily available; i wager we could all link a class discord and various m+ guides in a few seconds.

You’re beating a dead horse. Little Raid Boy thinks all content is for them. It should be tuned only for them. Everyone else should just quit.

They are getting their wish people are quitting because Blizzard is balancing the game only around Little Raid Boy.

You are right thou.

I should get impossible at higher levels. But to start ramping it up a 2 is silly.

There is so little interest for esport M+. Blizzard is trying to force it. It’s failed. Move on.

Ruining WoW over it is… well… Beyond stupid.

You can’t win.

Little Raid Boy can’t hear you.

Remember it’s all abut them. They should getting everything. Not you.

You are right. tuning something around a skill set that that skill set doesn’t do seems silly. You just can’t get that through Little Raid Boy’s denseness.