Can't Find Certain Players Using /who

The past couple of days, noticed this happening.

This started out while chatting in trade, when replying to someone, wanted to see who they were, what level, so forth. Typed /who joebob (made this name up, don’t worry) and I get a “0 players total”.

I didn’t think much of it at first, because I know with some of the “ignore” features, or low level players, or boosted toons, there can be odd glitches that can lead to this sort of thing happening.

But then during one particular conversation I realized that several people couldn’t be seen. I started testing it out, and realized that I couldn’t even see half the people online in our guild when I did a /who guildname.

From talking to other people on the Arthas server, this isn’t just me. It’s not randomly different between different people either, the same people don’t show up on everyone’s /who list.

Anyone know what this is about, obviously either something is corrupted or there is an issue with the command not pulling correctly from the database? This isn’t an addon issue, our entire guild was talking about it last night and it was being discussed in trade chat also.

6 Likes

I ran into this last night myself. I could do a /who GUILD NAME and it would show 4 people online in my guild when there were actually 20-something. I also tried it with my wife’s character’s name that she had online at the time and it returned nothing.

1 Like

I’m having the same issue. When I /who my own guild, I’m the only character that shows up despite there being 4 people online. Lots of instances where ‘0 players total’ when I shift-click in chat too.

Thank goodness it’s not just me. I thought I was losing my mind. I’m on stormrage, that’s where I noticed it first.

A little more info on this:

I received a request to invite a player into our guild. I tried to look them up, couldn’t see them.

I did the invite.

You have invited Player to join your guild.
Player-Arthas has joined the guild.
[Player] has come online.

Now I can see said player.

Hoping we can get some clarification on why this is happening?

I have a theory that maybe you guys can help test. These issues appeared to show up right before my realm (Khadgar/Alleria) was set to be connected with two others. I’m wondering if some of the backend work has caused this in preparation for the realm mergers.

Same here. Did a /who to ask guildmaster for an invite, and didnt see his name on the list, but saw him in trade so i pst him from there. people have said you need to use name-realm format, but i just tried a /who on a player who was on the same realm as me, ant tried with and without realm name and both times came back ‘0 players found’ , so I am puzzled. Seems to yes, be after all the merges. Maybe needs a hotfix?

We are coming up on three weeks into this issue and not ONE blue post reply to this, STILL???

1 Like

Still nothing. We are now more than one month into this issue and nothing from Blizzard. This is really frustrating. I get that there is an expansion to be getting ready for, but this is a really bad bug that is affecting a lot of things in game.

Did you report it in the bug report forum?

this problem is still happening

Chiming in to say that this is affecting me as well. /who just isn’t working like it used to for whatever reason.

Chilling here in 2021 and can’t Join my guild because the guild finder won’t list them and I can’t find half the people in my guild nor can they find me. We gonna address this blizzard

Has anyone gotten to the bottom of this? Is Blizzard willfully ignoring this issue befcause they don’t have an answer or don’t want to fix this?

This is STILL HAPPENING, please fix this blizz, or provide SOME sort of explanation???

Hey all,

There’s been a few bugs that affect the /who functionality over the last few months, causing it to not return the correct results. The results that are returned are generally from other players that are on the same shard as your character, so it appears incomplete.

These issues are being investigated by the QA and WoW teams, so hopefully we will see some improvements on this or have more info to share in the near future.

Thanks for all the reports!

2 Likes

I tested this out this week and it doesn’t appear to be completely the issue. I tried to /who a person on my realm and got 0 results, but they were definitely in the same shard as me as I could visually see them in Boralus. So I don’t think it is totally tied to shards.

And I double checked the spelling. I was even able to add them to my friends list afterwards, so I know the spelling was correct.

I would also like to chime in here, and let you know that this all started when you did the realm changes back in either august or early September. I don’t know if this is a database issue due to that, but it really seems tied into all those changes. Right after the new realm connections were updated, /who stopped working correctly. And it seems as though it got even worse after the expansion dropped. Now 90% of the time I’ll see someone talking in trade and do a /who and can’t find them. It’s extremely aggravating.

Take guild recruiting for instance, you see someone say something in trade, it’s bad enough often times players have special characters in their names (like me, yes I know) but then you go to try and check on their level, or if they are currently in a guild already, and you get the “0 players total” message.

I appreciate the response, but it has now been 5 months. Please keep checking and let us know, maybe once a week, what you are finding>

3 Likes

I had to type in the name- realm name to find someone hope this helps.

This has now been a problem for seven months.

Is this “working as intended”, like something to keep people from being harassed? I am honestly just throwing darts in the dark here because it seems like there is no definitive answer from Blizzard and there doesn’t seem to be any blue posts actually acknowledging the problem as stated.

Starting in early September of last year, typing /who followed by a person’s username began coming back with “0 players total” as though the person wasn’t online, even if you were sitting in Orgrimmar looking right at the person.

At that time it seemed like it was about half the people. Now it’s far worse. It is such a hindrance to doing group invites, professions, guild invites, the list goes on.

It is really that hard to figure out what the issue is, or to even acknowledge that yes this is a major problem and yes we are working on it? The last blue reply doesn’t seem to even remotely describe how bad the actual issue is.

EDIT: I should have mentioned, you can private message the person, that still works, and then look them up on their armory (if armory is working that day…)

2 Likes