Cannot change Password

Battle-Net says it was Changed on the 27th of July. I received no email of this.

Does it have something to do with this recent issue?

Some help is needed either way.

Yeah. Every time I try to use my old password to change my PW, I keep getting incorrect password entered. I have an authenticator on this account as well. Some sort of help would be great.

Iā€™d also like to know who got the email on my supposed password change on the 27th, since I got no email and I did not authorize that at all. Email shows as the same one Iā€™ve always used for WoW. Not sure what in the heck is going on. Iā€™m 99% sure the digital authenticator on my Cell-Phone is the only thing protecting my account right now, but still how am I supposed to fix my password if I canā€™t use it to override the Incorrect Password mess?

This was determined to be a bug due to some background work being done and nothing was changed.

1 Like

Except for the fact that something clearly WAS changed as I cannot change my password to a new one now, and I have a little annotation in Battle-net stating that my password WAS changed on July 27th and I recieved NO email on it. Whether these two issues are related are irrelevant. Something is fouling up.

You canā€™t have that both ways. I need a solution and so I suspect will others.

Um, check your spam folders, but my gut is telling me you got compromised and they changed your email too. You want to submit a ticket to get things sorted out.

Thatā€™s the thing though dudes. I am in Battle-net looking at my accounts. Nothing else has changed. Although a minute ago I went to buy a name change for a character, and there was a wierd URL posted in the Blizzard window. I didnā€™t follow through on the transaction because of it.

Moreover how can a person be compromised when going through the Blizzard Services ingame stuff, and how can they bypass my authenticator, since they will kinda need that to get anywhere.

Iā€™m quite paranoid when it comes to my account, If my password was changed and I didnā€™t get an email or notification, Iā€™d fire off a ticket in a heartbeat. Better safe than sorry.

So, and correct me if Iā€™m wrong here, youā€™re able to log into the launcher but itā€™s not letting you into the game?

Itā€™s after 10pm Austin TX, and 8pm Irvine, Cali. The forums are usually not staffed by SFA 24/7, not saying one might show up. Iā€™d fire off a ticket to be safe. At least you would be guaranteed a response.

Hereā€™s the situation Perl. I am able to get into the game, no issues there. My issue is that when I tried to buy a name change for my Shaman, it prompted me to put in my password. Thatā€™s normal.

What wasnā€™t was that for some reason the Blizzard tool had a weird green url (same hue as your text) where that the data was going to. It looked really wierd. Moreover since I never had seen that before so I hit reload and it vanished. After that however, when I went to put in my password, I was informed it had been changed. I did not authorize that.

Because of that, I was not able to buy the name-change. Next step I took was, I immediately went to check via the account page. It showed my Password was changed July 27th. Again I have to stress that this was not authorized.

I then checked my email. I received no email from Blizzard of this development. I immediately went to change my password, but every time I put my original older password in, as it is a necessary part of changing passwords, I am unable to do so because for some reason the password was changed and I do not have it. I do however have a mobile authenticator.

Additionally since I can still enter Battle-net, I was able to check and see if my name, my email, and my cell-phone were still the same. All of them are intact. Probably this means I am protected exclusively ā€˜byā€™ that authenticator at the moment, since anyone trying to get my account isnā€™t able to get the code they need to log in.

Hopefully this clarifies everything.

Honestly, I would submit a ticket here about a potential account compromise. It couldnā€™t really hurt and it is better safe than sorry. And perhaps if nothing else, they can help to get whatever this issue is with your passwords straightened out. Personally, I would go ahead and create a new e-mail account to attach your account to and do a thorough scan of your system as a precursor while waiting on a ticket response. They may require you to submit your ID to prove that you are indeed the account holder.

Posting here really doesnā€™t do much as itā€™s a forum for players to assist other players. There arenā€™t any GMs here, though we do have some rather rad SFAs and they donā€™t really delve into the matter of tickets and such. Theyā€™re here to offer advice, insight and to keep us hooligans in line.

Definitely sounds like something is off, but itā€™s odd that you can still access everything (other than the name change).

Does it show any odd access recently when you look at the security page here:
https://account.battle.net/security#recent-activity

4 Likes

Alright some updates for you Perl.

1.) I just fired off a support ticket to Blizzard. My cell-phone immediately alerted me to that, which is a good thing. Let it be known by any GM who reads this that the phone number that was active as of today on my account is the only one that should have any access to this account.

2.) No recent irregular accesses.

No idea if thatā€™ll last, but for the moment it seems to be just my accesses to Blizzard.

Just tried to use the authenticator code to do a Password change.

It said myā€¦ challenge was rejected? Just likeā€¦ What?

Not sure what that was about, but I just managed to change my password and I got a notice this time in the email informing me of such. Seems like I was able to resolve the issue.

Regardless of that however, because of the prior issues Iā€™ve dealt and which I have listed in the hidden text portions above, with I would deeply appreciate it if someone could investigate who it was changed my password on the 27th of July. It is possible that it could of been me, but the password is one Iā€™ve used for about 6-7 months, and generally I remember such things. Since I donā€™t remember doing a PW change, and as I saw no email of it in my inbox; these prompted my initial concerns.

As a final precaution I will be keeping the Support ticket open until Blizzard contacts me.

Definitely keep that ticket open to see if Blizz can shed some light. Glad you were able to get it to clear up though!

3 Likes

Appreciate the support throughout this Perl.

Your awesome and you deserve to be told that more.

3 Likes

Iā€™m always happy to help in whatever way I can :slight_smile:

1 Like