Canadian Dollar (CAD) Price Change for World of Warcraft Game Time (Excludes Subscriptions)

How about creating a game that has more than 2 months worth of play ability at anytime? That is the problem here. More subs would lead to more revenue if they would fix alot of stuff

Forum Mod Edit: This post has been edited by a moderator due to language. https://us.battle.net/forums/en/code-of-conduct/

3 Likes

I was thinking about how much money I’ve given to Blizzard over the years to play WoW… I’m shaking my head right now in disbelief lol… it’s had it’s moments but say you subbed consistently for 16 years and bought all xpacs, you’ve given them over three thousand dollars…

I usually get a sub anyways, but this was a reality check for me. Time to give this up.

Also, not really sure how you guys think Canadians can’t do simple math to recognize $15.00 USD does not Equal $17.29 USD ($21.99 CAD)

3 Likes

I think it’s the new Canadian digital goods & services tax that screwing you here.

$15.00 USD = $19.08 CAD
New Digital Tax (CA gov’t imposed) = $2.91 CAD ?
CAD $19.08 + $2.91 = $21.99

Note that the tax is only on pre-paid game-time, not on subscriptions or WoW tokens, so it seems there’s a loop-hole in the new Canadian law that only taxes one-time purchases, although this CBC article implies Netflix and Amazon will also be passing this new Canadian tax on to Canadian consumers.

2 Likes

Imagine price gouging during a global pandemic. How out of touch do you have to be as a company to do this?

This isn’t even mentioning that they’ve basically monetized beta testing. We pay them to test their game while they can’t figure out simple balance tweaks, bugs, game design problems, etc.

Blizzard has an unbelievable lack of self-awareness. It’s both embarrassing and disgusting.

1 Like

My slumlord tried to up my rent a few months ago by serving everyone a rent increase notice, but the gov stopped it. Goes to show how slimy people can be. Again, it’s out of principle. Trying to squeeze $18 out of me during a pandemic says everything about the guy. He rushed around and served all 25 of his buildings rent increases just incase the gov allowed it.

2 Likes

They wont be passing the tax on by increasing the base amount. They will pass it on by adding it to your total at check out like provincial tax or the current federal tax (in places that charge it). so it will be 21.99 +current taxes+new taxes. This base amount increase is just blizzard wanting more money

Well damn… that is awful :frowning: That put’s CA in the same boat as NZ–both paying more than $15 USD/mo “base” sub fee.

Edit: If a US Price Hike happens, it will be more fair for CA and NZ, but nobody likes a price hike (even though the US is due for one given 16 years of constant sub fee while the US Inflation has escalated 36% over that time).

Shameful gouging, Sad to see
The CDN/US Dollar Exchange rate is the same it was in 2004

:canada:

4 Likes

Man I have terrible timing. I redeemed 9 tokens for $19 the day before the change. planning to get a year of wow the next day. then they increased it, so I asked a GM if they can just change it to game time or anything. They said its impossible to do anything “its like the stock market”.

Price gouging in the holiday season in the middle of a global pandemic, wow…and i thought this company couldnt get anymore scummy

2 Likes

Actually 19 CAD is 14.92 USD as of this moment, its price gouging.

2 Likes

Thank you for the christmas present, Blizzard.

SERIOUSLY???

The CANADIAN DOLLAR is stronger against the US and trading at almost 0.79$ when it was trading at 0.71 not six months ago.

It’s a REBATE you should be giving us, not a TAX

Forum Mod Edit: This post has been edited by a moderator due to masked language as it is in violation of the Code of Conduct.

1 Like

So is it still 15 dollars in US? USA! USA! :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t feel like your time gating ways and that RNG tower of the damned is worth the increase tbh.

2 Likes

Your time will come to contribute in funding Bobby’s new Yacht. No one will be spared !!!

4 Likes

Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick’s total compensation fell slightly in 2019, from $30.8 million in 2018 to $30.1 million a year later.

a quick search on google really gives a good visual as to how much blizzard is struggling for money right now - so much so that good ol bobby ONLY took home a cool 30mil

your leaders & decision makers are trash to the umpteenth degree. I don’t think any more needs to be said.

5 Likes

…ok I hate capitalism and all it stands for, but I have to point this out sadly. Right now, Blizzard is not registered as a charity, so they kind of have all the fiduciary responsibility to do this…

1 Like

Wait what? You mean Canadians have been paying less that USA customers the whole time?

We have seen some confusion and wanted to clarify that this change does not affect CAD recurring subscriptions.