Can we please get some Linux love?

Wow doesn’t need to be open source. Iirc lua and the wow engine used to be open source.

Again. You should really read the license of flatpack and appimage. That’s not going to happen with those two.

You chose linux anticipating that gaming companies would compensate for it. That doesn’t happen. Learned that lesson a long time ago on oblivion when I was toying around with ubuntu. Never again. Ubuntu, linux, all that, no thanks keep it.

In my opinion, Linux. For a non-gamer and not heavily invested like adobe. Is 10 times better than Microsoft… especially for the older crowd…

The only thing that irks me with Microsoft is their updates. Is so archaic… chocolatey does help

Ffxiv supports Linux so I’m going to go play that instead. As soon as i get paid. I just dont get why everyone is so toxic against Linux here. Seems a bit strange how people reacted so negatively.

Same mentality for people that use android and apple. Phones

Yeah. My 63 year old father loves linux, has for quite some time. But his reasoning has more to do with “Microsoft stole everything.” That said, its more of a protest than it is anything else. He also isn’t a gamer, he watches youtube videos and listens to radio.

Linux has less than 1% of the player base it is literally not worth the dev time to support, plus all the issues that comes with many different distros, all of this included with the fact that the reason why the general public doesn’t run Linux is because it is not end user friendly.

But muh steaaaaaam deck hyuk hyuk hyuk: it has sold well but realistically less than 1% of gamers world wide have one

Oh my “toxicity” has more to do with my experience with my father forcing that pos software on me, and interfering with my gaming experience more than anything to be honest, its not directly at you. I will never touch that garbo again.

But only 1.79% of the world uses linux as it is, so I wouldn’t anticipate any future changes.

That’s cool, square enix supports Linux. Enjoy being forced to use spyware. I’ll never understand why people don’t value their privacy.

Honestly flatpack, snaps an appimage
Are distro agnostic

1 Like

I’m not sure why anyone thinks they have privacy. Your tax ID says more about you than your damn computer.

1 Like

I do value my privacy, I also value consistency and convenience, yes I could go through the effort of using Linux at home, but as someone with enterprise back end experience I’m not going to.

Why? Because I don’t want to trouble shoot insert any number of completely assinine issues that are Linux only problems.

That means I use windows for the sole reason of when I get home, I can browse my library and without any reasonable doubt go and press “install” and know that said game will work fine and this goes back to over a decade or more of a library.

Good for square Enix, the reality of it is? 98% don’t care.

1 Like

This old trope? You know we moved past 98, right?

2 Likes

Although I will give blizzard credit, during overwatch in 2019 they banned a lot of people that were using Linux… because. There In-house anti-cheat system thought they were bots or cheating. And they resolve the issues with it…and now they don’t get flagged for running their games in wine, and unbanned those people

Blizzard feels you are free to use whatever OS you want and play whatever games you want. Just like they are free to pay staff to officially support what systems they feel are cost efficient to support. It has nothing to do with freedom and everything to do with what the suits want to pay for.

Blizzard does not object to you using Linux, they just won’t make sure WoW works on it and won’t help you get it going.

Best of luck with your gaming on Linux though. I do understand many of those who use it really like it.

Yeah it 2023.

unless using 100% cash for everything,

working under the table (no papers no socials)

and running a sat phone

big brother is watching.

sat phones are harder to crack you see. hell they ahve to work out what satellite you are bouncing off of too.

I kind of envy them. 2 va data losses (prior military service), OPM leak way back (govvy worker)…my data is out there. so I just morbidly accepted that.

hell I make the joke I can’t remember my first Platoon commander’s name (I have more “clever” names for that butthead).

If Someone buys my data…they’d know something I don’t anymore lol.

2 Likes

There would need to be enough users who use linux for blizzard to justify the cost of developing a linux client.

1 Like

They can’t keep up with bugs in their Windows client, let alone adding support for whichever flavour of Linux would be decided on, which would send users of all the rest running to the WoW Linux forums to complain.

I love Linux. I have a machine running it within reach. I also don’t know a single person who also has a Linux box who doesn’t also have a Windows machine. WoW on Linux is a geeky hobby practiced by a tiny amount of people. It’s simply not worth supporting.

1 Like

Honestly it doesn’t work like that anymore
With flatpaks, snaps and appimage

They are distro agnostic…

flatpak org…