Can we just get rid of this broken Group Finder tool?

If the purpose of this tool was to make grouping more social, it has completely failed. When you do manage to find a group using it, it’s still the same lifeless groups that dont speak unless they are able to flame another player for making a mistake just like in shadowlands. That is, if the group holds together long enough to make it to the summoning stone.

The only thing this tool is managing to accomplish is killing the LFG Bulletin Board addon which is significantly more effective at getting people socially involved because you actually have to speak in chat to get the addon to flag you for queue.

Instead now people can just queue and sit in the queue for sometimes 4+ hours only to get an invite to a dungeon that you were not even queued for because people who q for ALL dungeons can see you and don’t bother to read the list of things you are queued for.

There are severe bugs that still occur such as, Queuing on some characters requires me to reload ui in order to see the list of people in the q. BUT reloading UI also causes my role in the lfg to switch to a random role not set in my talents e.g. DPS death knight being switched to Healer or Tank, and my Resto Druid being switched to Tank. This bug also sometimes happens when my character goes afk.

The LFG tool is causing a community split requiring people who want to form a group effectively to have to use 2 tools now instead of one. And the LFG channel is just a convenient place for the whole server to complain about Blizzard and trash talk China/Russia/US politics.

50 Likes

I think there was a tool that basically solved these issues. It might have been called RDF or something.

77 Likes

Tools don’t create splits, argumentative idiots with different ideologies do.

5 Likes

Really need to just implement the mythic+ finder like retail. That work perfectly and I feel most people would like it, especially more than the current janky one.

2 Likes

The purpose of the tool wasn’t to make grouping more social. Not having Dungeon Finder means not having cross-realm, automated grouping, which would decrease the likelihood of running into the same people on your own server multiple times over the course of days or weeks, creating shared social experiences.

I never used the LFG Bulletin Board addon, but I did have a lot of people whisper me 5-10 minutes after having formed groups during TBC. I’d ask them, “Are you using some kind of addon?” and they always said they were. I’ve heard that it’s supposed to refresh often, but it seems like it’s caching old listings, which personally I just found annoying.

Keep in mind though, I used to mostly make groups, and never really join others’ groups. Now though, with the new tool, I’ll often just list myself while working on some quests. Especially while leveling, when groups mostly need healers, and there’s an abundance of tanks.

2 Likes

The decision makers on the Blizzard Classic team want to maximize profits with minimal development cost.

You will have to convince them it would make more money than level 70 boosts when people get tired of leveling. You cannot shame them into Dungeon Finder because they don’t care.

WOTLK Classic is a cash cow for the next few months, and they know not enough players will fully quit over this single issue to impact their plan of up front profit.

In short, enjoy Classic for what it has become if you like, and move on to Dragonflight in three months when everyone else does. It looks really good, so at least there’s that.

3 Likes
  1. of course wotlk classic is a cash cow, Blizzard would be a bad business if it wasn’t.
  2. RDF is a retail feature, so why should it be in classic?
  3. For those who say RDF was in wrath, let me clear things up for those who can’t see: it was brought in during the last patch of wrath so as to pave the way for cata and the new wow (aka retail).
2 Likes

I can’t express how frustrating this is. The tool is so bad it makes spamming chat superior.

3 Likes
  1. The point was they aren’t putting much effort or money into such a profitable venture. They could have done so much better.
  2. How is Dungeon Finder a retail feature if it was in Wrath originally? Is Wrath a retail expansion in 2022 by your estimation?
  3. Dungeon Finder was in Wrath for nearly half of the expansion.

These basic and weak anti-RDF arguments have been debunked in dozens of threads, but thank you for your input.

11 Likes

They have started several times in other forum posts, the point of the tool is to make grouping “easier and more social”.

And your sense of time is off by quite a significant amount as the addon has always deleted old posts after 2 minutes 30 seconds which is on purpose to stop people from spamming the chat so often to keep themselves on the list.

Which doesn’t happen anyways without RDF so is a moot point.

The tool works great. You guys need to stop this gaslight campaign.

Painfully obvious you guys only “hate” the tool because you want RDF. How’s that discord coordinated brigading campaign going btw? Still see no RDF.

2 Likes

Whats the difference between you doing this, and them adding the rdf tool?

First you say RDF was a retail feature and then admit it was in Wrath. Then you say it wasn’t in Wrath until the last patch - which we are currently on. RDF is not a retail feature anymore than dual spec is a retail feature. If you want things to roll out the same way they did in OG Wrath, then you should also be whinging about dual spec currently being in the game as well as dozens of other things. But in fact authenticity doesn’t matter to you AT ALL.

Can any of you at least be honest about why you don’t want RDF???

4 Likes

No it doesn’t. It’s a mess.

10 Likes

And to all the people commenting that “rdf was added in the last patch!!!” The last patch was a year long before cata released. So for a pretty significant amount of people, it was there almost the whole time.

6 Likes

No point trying to convince someone who can’t think abstractly.

Can you be less dull and read my post properly. sheesh. Atleast Blizzard knows who to listen to

Blizzard listens? thats news to me. thought thats how we ended up here in the first place.

3 Likes

I don’t see the problem.

List yourself.
Get a whisper, “hey, are you still interested in running X as Y?”
Say, “yeah!”
Get an invite.
Run the dungeon.

It works totally fine. There are some UX flaws like the role selection being on the talents page instead of being picked when you post yourself, but it gets the job done, and easier than reading /LFG.

They’ve also said they’re iterating on it!

1 Like