Can we all agree about spellbatching?

That it is freaking terrible and doesn’t work? Not that I mind frost shocking and having the mobs run towards me without a debuff on them till it triggers 3 seconds later.

It’s also fun pvping and juking a heal and then getting counterspelled after you’ve already stopped casting. Or having your grounding totem not redirect the spell you dropped it for, cause of you guessed it…spellbatching.

But, seriously this is a pile of crap. Blizzard, just flipping remove it.

4 Likes

Yeah I don’t understand why recreating the feel of a laggy gen 1 cable connection making 50 hops to Texas from Maine is necessary for an authentic classic experience. It’s philosophically of questionable value but even if it wasn’t, the implementation is really heavy-handed and feels bad to play.

3 Likes

I guess I don’t understand why they wanted to recreate something like that and went out of hteir way for it…but left in stuff like:

Dynamic Guard spawns
Non-instant gold between characters on same account
Non-instant auction gold
Druids being able to be burned of mana in animal form

But yeah, let’s go out of our way for flipping spell batching. Come the hell on, Blizzard.

1 Like

THe old batching is dumb, I vanished and didn’t engage with an undead for like, 5 secs then was stunned OUT of my stealth when I was able to do a ranged attack, throw. And no, it wasn’t a gernade, it was kidney shot.

1 Like

I like how people can 100% run thru the entire zone of my Earthbind Totem and the pulse won’t touch them.

2 Likes

Yeah and this point has been made before but they also didn’t go out of their way to make instance servers lag or crash and reset when more than one guild pulls a raid boss. I mean that’s pretty authentically vanilla but it sucks so they left it out.

1 Like

Imagine telling the original wow devs that they could have crisp working abilities without batching but to bring back some old “feel” they would make the game worse.

No way the devs back then would have chosen this if given a choice.

1 Like

Dunno haven’t seen anything odd yet that I didn’t see the first go around, but I’m just now getting into my melee characters so may start seeing more of it.

If I can play SWG and PvP with the massive rubber banding, anything I see here is just childs play.

that always feels good…happens to me as well.

2 Likes

It’s there to allow classic things, like 2 warriors charging each other only to end up with them switching positions and being stunned, or mages sheeping each other etc etc.

As an older gamer, i love it, im not as fast as i used to be and WoW was never an esport, nor should it be.

Leeway is the bigger issue impacting gameplay, though i do think spell batching needs a tune. Like maybe dropping it to 250-300 ms instead of the 400ms its at currently, getting rid of it outright would be a bad idea.

1 Like

That would be fine if it actually worked like it did back then.

Beyond the artificallly large batch window, there’s also things happening in the wrong order all the time. Interrupted abilities still go off, my succubus evade-resets mobs that don’t get updated of her visible status in time, etc…

Why yes.

Yes we can

1 Like

“How can we make sure Classic doesn’t poach too many Retail customers?”
“Wait, I have an idea!”

You have to admit, it is brilliant.

1 Like

This was one of the things Blizzard listened to the community on. If you want to blame people, here you go:

I don’t like spell batching but it’s authentic and the community wanted it.

I can’t tell you how many people i have put blessing of protection on, just to see them die. Also divine intervention, they still died even at 20% health.

Been playing Anni AV nonstop for the past few days on my 120 Hunter. It’s been so long since I played him, I found myself having to readjust from all the time I’ve spent on my classic Hunter. And it’s not just remembering no deadzone and that certain abilities behave differently, it’s the spell fluidity. Being able to disengage to a hi-explosive trap, land and line up my aimed shot without feeling sluggish and delayed.

I don’t fully understand spell batch, so not entirely sure if that’s the reason classic feels a bit off, but I do wish the combat felt as smooth as retail. However, if the classic experience requires spell batch to be complete, I won’t complain about it existing.

2005 was such a long time ago, I honestly don’t remember if it felt this sluggish.

1 Like

No.

:cactus:

I totally agree that it’s terrible, but it’s not going to change. There are enough misguided people that will parrot ‘no changes’ on the subject of spell batching that Blizzard will never change it. I’m a big no changes guy myself, but spell batching doesn’t make Classic feel authentic, it makes it feel like garbage. … but it won’t change.

I don’t mind spell batching at all

Like if anything it just helps people with bad internet get better ping

1 Like

I have to agree, particularly since they took the trouble to port the client to the legion engine. I would have imagined that by making the port, Blizzard intended Classic to benefit from the improvements to the system over the years.

Instead… they have purposely incorporated mechanics that existed in 2006 as compensation for lag, i.e., bad client/server latency.

They could have let well alone and released a true 1.12 and have done with it.

SIGH

1 Like