Button Bloat from the Perspective of a Middling Player

There is a difference between them making design decisions on abilities due to controllers and players making it work anyway.

I have no clue. I don’t even use macros or modifiers. I use the standard bars and Healbot. And I’m staring at screenshots where I’m trying to figure out where the heck people are coming up with this “OMG THEY ADDED SO MANY BUTTONS THIS EXPANSION!!!”

Sure, some specs have issues. But overall, I don’t know where this is coming from. Did people just not play in previous expansions? Did they look at the talent trees and forget that so much of that is the same stuff we already had?

I just don’t get it.

2 Likes

hard disagree on the button bloat says the clicker

1 Like

Unless there are mechanics involving DPS or Tanks having to target specific raid members like healers always have to, I don’t think it’d be unoptimal anymore. You can very easily target any enemy you want, and interact with anything with a simple interaction button now. And if specific ground targeting is needed you can learn to use gyro aim in those circumstances or a DS4/5 touchpad.

That’s just an outsiders perspective though.

Apparently the Controller addon actually has raid targeting as well, but that is objectively slower than mouse targeting for obvious reasons. Even in XIV where controllers are entirely optimal.

I’m probably wrong, but it seems like some of today’s players want the “easy button” in their RPG?

Yeah, the genre has not once in all these years been like that. Wrong game mode folks.

2 Likes

Is why we need account wide ignore :+1:

4 Likes

The movement alone is sub optimal.

Watch movement on games like rainbow six siege

The movement between a player with mouse and keyboard and one on controller is night and day difference.

In mythic raiding it would get people killed.

The only class I see possible playing is a bm hunter because most classes have abilities they need to use.

Not really. Each class either has a combo point system, or a hidden combo point system, with an exception of a few.

Why don’t you go to the console port discord and ask. Oh so great one.

As a fellow aging gamer I do definitely agree about the button bloat. I have small hands and a comfortable range but when a core rotation gets too cluttered I don’t enjoy it.

It’s a shame because they could make it a little more viable to build out your talent tree how you want and select passives but currently running all actives seems to be the meta and some of said active abilities are from different expansions and don’t interact comfortably. Comfortable flow is also important. I like to point out MoP era destruction as an example of that done well. Definitely had a lot of buttons but it was smooth.

4 Likes

Tell me you don’t understand what a damage profile is without telling me you don’t know what a damage profile is.

Because you made the claim so back it up.

I don’t know about this console port discord but FFXIV plays very well with a controller. With some elbow grease WoW could do.

Maybe you don’t know but controllers are able to get full 360 movement now at 100% running speed in the direction your stick moves. This isn’t an FPS, it’s a 3rd person MMO. This was changed in Dragonflight release / pre-patch. This even means you can run backwards while looking ahead unlike KB&M players, unless they exploit the controller with custom keybinding. So I don’t really believe the movement part.

For healing or buffing you can use the dual sense pro’s pad as a mouse with a mouse over cast macro to easily heal a raid. For melee reticle circle AoE you can use cast @ player macro to instantly apply it (I do so with DnD on my DK’s)

With ranged classes there is options to have your pad set up to act like a mouse for reticle skills or use cast @ mouse macro’s (requires practice)

There is indeed a keybind for interact in the base UI (byw the game has hidden controller support should you learn the command for it)

Soft targeting also helps change targets instantly when you turn your charecter. It is an amazing thing i did not think i would like at first but works wonders on the controller.

I tried to not mention the usage of a DS4/5 pad as much as possible since some people don’t have access or the means to buy one. But yeah you can set it up to be much easier than just using the D-pad.

As for the rest: Yep, that’s why I don’t see much difference between the two for non-healers. There are simple macros or work-arounds for most of the basic ability situations.

We can agree to disagree but controller will always be sub optimal.

Imagine trying to decurse as a mage for example

2 Likes

Gyro could be used as a mouse i think, but my experience with it is limited. There is one thing I forgot to mention.

You can instant turn around on controllers with the correct settings, thus bypassing back strife.

Ps controller pad with mouse over macro (pad works as a mouse)

Or you could just use mouse and keyboard like everyone else.

That kinda defeats the purpose to buy a controller pad

1 Like

I agree with the latter part. But if it’s pre-determined (like a tank / healer target) then that’s easy to macro. Or if it’s not super time sensitive (IE: you have a couple seconds to react). People have done ultimates in XIV which are mechanically intensive and require precise movement comparable to Mythic, so… IDK. I think the actual issues with a controller lay within a few minor issues, not the movement itself.

RSI and other disabilities are a good reason to use a controller. A little bit of pad usage is way less problematic than M&KB.

Or you could not tell people how to play and let them find their own way to things while not being biased if it works just as good.

Ok mr. Great one?

Agreed, but also most gamers prefers to use controllers, even on pc games. So having that innate accessability would open the game more to people. And this isn’t even mentioning ppl with hand disabilities or mental ones that is just easier for them to use.

1 Like