Button Bloat from the Perspective of a Middling Player

I know there are a bunch of communities that have like one day a week raids that’s open to the community. They are super super casual and you aren’t punished if you miss a few weeks.

1 Like

Average isn’t defined by your opinion of easy.

It’s the median, the most common occurrence, the most likely overall.

AOTC is not the average lol

7 Likes

Communities focused on casual raiding one night a week are also a good option too

Very true lol. I tried getting back into raiding at the start of SL, funny story, other than just feeling like a cog in the wheel (I like to actually enjoy the people I raid with) the guild just absolutely imploded after like 3 dps left. Just collapsed in on itself like a dying start. I’m talking about a guild that had like 27 people in the raid. Just disbanded after 3 people left. Unreal.

Add another who can’t actually read the conversation.

For people THAT raid aotc IS average because the numbers show it’s the most popular raiding difficulty.

People that don’t raid aren’t a factor in this point being made.

Especially when the OP is using 6/9 heroic and sub 3k io to claim above average.

Hey now…no need to be fair here…lol

1 Like

Are they in the communities tab or would I need to go to discord to find them?

I don’t think you need to explain why button bloat is a bad thing, regardless of skill level. Even when you factor in things like MMO mice, some specs have a lot of buttons to press in order to perform decently.

Granted, I don’t play Unholy DK much and so I’m not 100 per cent comfortable with the spec, but I find its opening and ramp very annoying in terms of the number of GCDs you have to expend. It’d be great if, for example, Unholy Frenzy was baked into another skill instead of being its own thing, thereby getting rid of one button.

And don’t get me started on Brewmaster.

1 Like

It would probably be easier with discord.

I have seen one discord mentioned a few times where it’s a massive pug discord. They only invite people from the discord and part of the rules are no drama or calling people out type of things.

Someone may know what it’s called.

Reddit might also work

1 Like

Even if a person takes an active ability they don’t like just to get to a passive /s that will help other abilities , doesn’t mean they have to bind that ability they don’t like.

I’m 57 and use a 25 button gaming key pad .
That covers attack spells , cool downs , healing pet , slot for any quest item use, tab targeting , PP2T for Discord and space so I can jump or start flying . Oh and let’s not forget one for lock rocks .

I disagree. I think when people try to claim something that’s a problem when it actually isn’t a problem need to explain their point of view.

The only valid complaint of bloat in this game is brewmaster.

1 Like

It takes work to maintain a raiding guild. Even casual ones. It’s why I gave up being an officer years ago and am happy being one of the cogs lol.

1 Like

Same. I was an officer in legion for a raid guild.

Never again

Though once you find that one guild that everything clicks and has super good leadership it’s so much more enjoyable.

1 Like

You could raise your game & reduce your number of key-binds with a few changes to the way you think about key-binds.

Some simple help/harm macros can reduce buttons based on your target. Going up from there (adding knowledge), using conditional macros can reduce it significantly more.

I can understand how a new person placing every single spell/on-use item/etc on their bars can get overwhelmed. But there are ways to significantly reduce the need for the amount of buttons required.

On my Druid, with properly set-up macros, I use 11 buttons. That includes spells (dam/heal/util), on-use items, mounts, hearth stones, shape-shifting, consumables, and a couple toys.

1 Like

This is where you go wrong in your arguments about which feedback should be considered or dismissed.

The sheer dismissal because someone doesn’t play at the level you deem acceptable to be worthy of being listened to.

Someone can feel a spec is bloated when they’re a mythic raider or a world quester. Neither is required to fill a certain criteria to share their opinion on the game.

The fact you’re also the first one to use a condescending tone and throw epeen scores around as a reason to dismiss others is why you never get taken seriously.

10 Likes

It’s a two-part problem for me.

1. Running out of keybinds I can reach comfortably.
  2. Excessive CD GCD expenditure during openings (e.g. Unholy).

There’s the accessibility factor, too. Not all players have the dexterity or range of motion in their fingers to hit binds that involve SHIFT, CTRL, etc.

2 Likes

I’m MM and I don’t think it’s bad .

Do you key bind every active spell you picked ?

If so that might be the problem . Sometimes certain spells have to be picked to get ot others that are better or to pasives that are more beneficial .

Just because you have something doesn’t mean you always have touse it.

What causes excessing discomfort by pressing Shift + 2, 3 or 4?
Why are you not using `, 5, Z, X, C, T?
How is pressing Q / E discomfortable?

I agree with your underlying points, but I was surprised by your comfort rankings.

by that logic button bloat doesnt exist because every rotation is under 12 buttons except for maybe arcane

Agreed, MM isnt bad. It has its issues with GCD economy and overall damage output, but not overall abilities/button bloat.