BTags and Account Wide Ignore Demands

Once again, when you see the “sheer volume” of people saying anything it’s the “sheer volume” of the small minority of players who enter things into forums, here, reddit, etc.

What it is not is the “sheer volume” of people who pay subscriptions and play the game which is a much larger group. We have no idea how they feel.

My gets for TWW is September at the latest. But I hope with the introduction of Warbands could see a change with the forums.

We all know a change is coming.

4 Likes

See I always have low expectations from OPs threads

But

Uhhhh… yea…

1 Like

I think it should be in the fall too. Most people will be outside doing things for the summer, I know I have plans.

Ive got a theory here.
Someone just randomly pulled an accusation out of their hats the other thread about one side pretending to be the other, posting on alts, etc.

I could swear if i were the theorist sort (I am) that the OP here IS from the pro viewable Btag side, posting on an alt.
The way the OP is worded, just something doesnt feel sincere about it…feels like baiting from someone trying to get a discussion started but playing devils advocate for subterfuge

Yeah it’s really nothing about it being “dangerous”

All it is is being able to actually block. Not the crap that we have now on these forums… the person and in some cases their many alts that they like to sock puppet on…

Nothing more nothing less

1 Like

Yeah, but What maybe Summer up there, isn’t exactly Summer everywhere else, and it is kind of hard to do it around the Christmas period more than the Summer months because well, you got Christmas and the holiday season and all that.

There’s no point talking to them…
Everything and one offends them

I honestly think he just types weird based on basically everything thread he makes

Always makes things sound dramatic and overblown while at the same time not really saying anything

5 Likes

I would have to visit Australia someday.

Oh, it is a beautiful country, though at the moment, with what has recently been happening here, from the Bondi Stabbing to the recent terror attack, if you ever do come, just plan for the country areas and not the cities.

Yeah, this was pretty much a bait thread., if OP is not participating in their own discussion.

6 Likes

It really wouldn’t though. Right now the only thing alt-hopping allows is for the temporary bypassing of ignore lists, but that’s a separate issue from how names are displayed. Trolls are going to troll no matter how you display their name, so showing btags wouldn’t do anything to keep them in line.

I’ve never been on a forum of any kind that didn’t have at least a few known trolls even when everyone was locked to a single account name. They’d sock all the same by making additional accounts or just not care and keep being a nuisance on just the one account.

So someone is going to have to explain to me like I’m 5 and learning disabled how showing btags will do anything to deter someone who has nothing better to do than troll forums in the first place. A proper way to ignore an account all at once is all that’s needed to combat trolls, because “don’t feed the trolls” and all that. I just for the life of me can’t figure out how seeing btags factor into any of this, because that makes it sound like you want to call out the trolls for hopping and engage with them. Like why does it matter if you know who owns what alts? You’re just trying to ignore them and leave them to shout into the wind anyway, right?

2 Likes

Agreed.
Im adding the OP to the ignore list now.
Very certainly baited the forum, Id say, and Im convinced personally that the character is an alt for a pro btagger.

Very keen eye you have there.
Spot on accurate assessment.
IF they were going to ignore as they claim, then they dont need the btag showing to do that.
ONLY IF they WANT to keep going at the person, interacting with them on their various alts do they need that Btag to show.

1 Like

that’s what OP does. over and over again.

4 Likes

Yea, he’s a real rascal

1 Like

Battle tags and Real id is an apples and oranges comparison .

One is a player made gaming id used in all of Blizzard’s games and forums besiides WoW.

Real id is actual real life personal information .

Battle tags whether or not if it is used up front (ie visible) or in the background (not visible) makes the most sense since that is how all of Blizzard’s other forums handle things like ignores , likes etc.

You will see people going Btags will make it easier to harass people and track them.
This is false no one can track a person by just knowing their btag. First of all a person would have to make a btag friend request and have it accepted (most will not accept from people they have never interacted with before. Second of all if request is accepted only tooms logged into game would be seen .

Another thing to make note of is the majority of those against account wide ignores or btags for the wow forums are known trolls and speak out against it saying it will do harm do so because it will make it harder for them to do those same action .

Actions they have been doing for years with impunity due to the current character/server being considered as accounts instead of the btag system every other Blizzard forum uses.

4 Likes

Seems like you are the type to ask a question and then get angry at the answer. You ask why and I told you. First where are you getting that a sizable number of people will have to change their btags? Blizzard was very clear on what Btags were to be used for.

A BattleTag™ is a player-chosen nickname that identifies your Battle.net account in our games, websites, community forums, and more . Only one BattleTag can be associated with a Battle.net account. BattleTags do not need to be unique. You can use any name you want, as long as it follows our Naming Policy.

You can try to paint me as being unreasonable or crazy but Btags are not some super secret account information. Claiming that a sizeable number of people made their btag to contain personal or identifying information is not very convincing. But you are also someone hiding on an alt so you have more to lose by showing your Btag than I do.

5 Likes

If they act that way for years on years wouldn’t their actions get them removed from the forums due to their misconduct?

I have unfortunately been on the receiving end of a disciplinary action and it prevents all characters from posting.

1 Like

I really do appreciate the clarification, if only so that others learn the difference. I was already aware that the battle tag id doesn’t reveal personal information like the Real ID would…however, making the former public here on the forums could still lead to a more limited sort of harassment, in the form of spammed friend invites.

That may or may not be much of an actual problem, I’m not sure…and feel free to assuage that concern if possible…but I prefer to err on the side of worst case scenarios, simply because people are people. There will always be that one person that has to try to make other player’s game experience miserable. I tend to give out my btag information sparingly.