Borrowed Power has always existed. Why is it viewed so negatively now?

The “me too” crowd collided with a catchphrase and got stuck.

I dread the hours of clean up. My Warrior’s bag are especially a mess.

1 Like

I myself will sim every single piece of gear I have and then vendor/trash the rest.

I agree Legion legendaries were bad on release (until they added Vashreen.) But in SL, we have (a) crafted legendaries and (b) a vendor for conduits right from the beginning. In this way, we can still have something to work towards, without being wholly dependent on RNG.

That’s a fair point - tier set bonuses could be obtained for you in a friend/guild run, without any need to farm a certain neck level to apply or use them.

But the attunements to enter the raid in the first place were still a personal dependency on you.

Losing? Putting aside that I wouldn’t particularly care even if they did pull it, they’ve explicitly stated they’re not pulling the ripcord. I’m all for balance tuning, which is what they’re doing.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/development-update-the-road-to-shadowlands/638371

They stated that before the delay was announced… and now they’re frantically nerfing everything into irrelevance.

The Covenants you’ll get on live at this rate will be a husk of what Beta testers played with.

We already know the nerfs are temporary.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/shadowlands-legendaries-october-7/668405

1 Like

I haven’t heard any pushback against Legendaries but the issue with Conduits is Blizzards hellbent nature to tackle people who just want to change them whenever they want.

Which I don’t think anyone really wants them to return.

My biggest problem with “borrowed power” is when proc affects are the majority of your damage. Once it hits a certain point, I don’t feel like I’m playing a mage or a monk anymore, I feel like I’m playing my procs.

For this reason, I like how legion did artifacts and dislike how BfA did essences and corruptions (I also dislike Azerite gear but for completely separate reasons.)

I am hopeful for shadowlands in result because to me, it seems to be leaning closer to the legion side rather than the BfA side.

1 Like

Fair, but I don’t have a thought on the conduit swapping one way or another. As I I don’t PvP I’m probably just going to find one setup that works reasonably well for both raids/M+ and leave it in that for the most part.

Whether attunements, rep/renown, AP, there will always be some form of personal progression we need to complete to access that expansion’s power progression.

I don’t think essences were ever as bad as corruptions in this regard but otherwise I agree.

Crusader Enchant considered borrowed power? Enchants in general?

Enchants and gems were too minor a part of our throughput to count imo, even less so than major and prime glyphs, so I didn’t list them.

Nerfs to Covenants are not no. Soulbinds and Covenants are getting crushed. Don’t try to deflect unto Legendaries that is not what I’m talking about.

Neither of which were major changes to gameplay that we had to spend years grinding and had a never ending currency to grind to make them more powerful.

2 Likes

Because big-head talky boi said it on my RubeTube and I’m madder than a plucked hen bout it! I ain’t never borrowed no power before and I ain’t never gave it back if’in I did.

Sure Carl next door tried to claim my generator was plugged into his back porch after Katrina but I told him that was them FEMA criminals and I ain’t never plugged nothin int’a mans porch no way. I reckon these Blizz thieves bout the same.

No! I won’t take yer free commy trailer when you’ll just take it back and make me earn a house later. What kinda sense is that suppose ta make anyway.

It’s all a big scam ta steal yer identy. Sure you’ll have yer fun now, but they got you right where they want ya and you’ll just keep crawling back time in time out again.

1 Like

I dunno about other classes, but through the Tomb of Sargaras raid tier monks used to go back and farm nighthold just for the 2p set. It was THAT important for them. I’d consider that a major change in game-play that required grinding, especially since you needed multiple pieces to swap out as you got ToS gear.

You can nitpick the differences, but as far as I’m concerned, farming AP really isn’t that different to me than Farming Badges, or Honor/conquest or residuum, or raids, or really anything in this game.

1 Like

Legendaries are what they nerfed in the latest build. Where did you see that they “nerfed Covenants into irrelevance?”

So it wasn’t borrowed power. Because they could still use it after it wasn’t current anymore.

Thank you for proving OP wrong!

You need to read the whole patch notes. A lot of Class abilities and soulbinds also got tuning. Not to mention the change from 3 Potency conduit down to 2 on every soulbind.

1 Like

Not so much this character, he has only 1-2 pairs of everything, but my main, the Toon I tried to kept ‘caught up’, he has FOUR or more pair of everything, other than cloak and ‘yoke’.

I covered this already actually; I’m in favor of power that is relevant across raid tiers, like essences and artifacts are. It’s still borrowed for the expansion.

Funny enough, it still was borrowed power considering that it was nerfed at the end of the tier.

Still kind of a petty argument to make though.

1 Like