Borrowed Power has always existed. Why is it viewed so negatively now?

He can, his stated goal is derailing feedback. Just because he gets a kick out of creating arguments on the forums. This is textbook trolling, posting just to get a reaction out of people.

Things like choosing a class, leveling a character, researching what a good talent spec for them is, learning how to prioritize and sim their stats, and earning gear for them by progressing through content, these kinds of activities make you feel engaged with the game.

Stuff like waiting for your weekly cap on Renown and Soul Ash to expire (“waiting = content” -Ion) isn’t engaging. It’s dull. Every borrowed power system people complain about comes hand in hand with you doing lame chores so you can be powerful not now, but a few days, weeks, or months from now. Or, as is too often the case, keeping up with others so that you don’t feel LESS powerful.

this isn’t difficult to understand for anyone with half a brain. That said, it looks like they are nerfing normal class abilities and skills into the ground because they know with the borrowed powers will bring them up to where they need to be damage wise. its backwards and upside down thinking / implementation and don’t make sense. just one small example is the OP trinkets, of which there are hundreds of.

While I don’t think we can say that the ‘vast majority’ of their money goes into something (since we can’t read their expenditure records) what we can say is that their development time is limited and the more they use it on one aspect, the less there is to spread around. Time is the real finite resource. There is only so many hours in a day and only so many days before release and if they run out of time then we end up with a lacklustre expansion. I think WoD is a prime example of that.

If I visualise one of those scales you measure weight with, I’d like to see the side carrying the content to the heavy side and the tinkering with unnecessarily complicated tacked on systems to be far lighter. I never stayed up after midnight addicted to the game because I enjoyed getting something ephemeral like a Corruption effect or a conduit. I was playing because I loved being involved in the game’s story, the adventure of it all. I just have this feeling they have lost sight of that. Or perhaps they feel its more important to add the sparkly stuff to distract us from whats actually missing.

2 Likes

Ya, then make the content harder. Look at how fast new mythic raids are completed now mainly in gear of the last tier?

I mean, I know this might be a revolutionary idea, but what if you needed to be geared mainly in the tier you are in to kill the end boss? Whoa??? That means you might have needed for example a 200 ilvl gear “ish” player to beat a 200 ilvl boss.

This is worth repeating because it’s true. Just because it was found lacking and eventually removed does not mean it was borrowed power. To this end, talents, abilities, and glyphs that were ‘pruned’ does not make them borrowed power by definition.

2 Likes

I already said I agree that that is a problem. Specifically I said:

But that is a tuning issue with borrowed power, not a rejection of the concept of borrowed power itself.

Anything that requires week after week of chores to keep up is going to be rejected.

I am going off what other in the industry have said as to how much it cost to fix bad systems instead of making it right first time. Bellular said a substantial amount of money was lost in Legion trying to fix the AP system and redesign and fix systems so that people wanted to play them. In SL they have 3 times the systems it seems that Legion had. I can’t imagine how much content will be lost with Blizzard trying to fix and save a system like that. I imagine just as you said, that is what happened to WoD.

Then why do you keep saying

Which was your original position, but you have been responded to many times so far why this is viewed negatively, and you keep going back to repeating the same original position.

#butwhytherum

I don’t think any form of borrowed power - whether tier set bonuses, corruptions, essences, glyphs, artifact powers, legendaries, or anything else - should make up 40% of your output at endgame. Corruptions clearly are the worst offender here by far, and they are thankfully getting deleted less than two days from now. Again though, that is an indictment of that borrowed power system, not borrowed power as a concept.

Neither of these are borrowed power.

Borrowed power grinds as a concept are trash.

So did you skip dailies and attunements? Those were grinds you needed to do in order to get that expansion’s power.

Attunements were once and done. Not daily/weekly. Attunements also aren’t power. They don’t grant you any kind of DPS bonus. Just let you enter a dungeon/raid.

And yes, dailies I skipped after being done getting my rep. Once and done.

Not really. Dailies in Mists were only useful if you couldn’t get 496s from HoF/ToEP. Then they pretty much simply didn’t matter outside of cosmetics and after like 2 weeks, you were done with them.

1 Like

Agreed and EXACTLY!

This is the real issue behind that ‘borrowed power’.

Exactly, and I was similarly done with essences once I got the ones I needed for my class at Rank 3.

This was the biggest problem with Azerite traits, I’ll agree there too.

What about the cloak/gem grind?

Which took weeks. Massively more weeks than any attunement or exalted rep. In often times, content I didn’t want to even do once.

And while still grinding neck levels, infinitely.

The thing that occurred naturally just raiding ?

Which they fixed in 8.3 with Echoes, and appear to have already thought of for SL with the Maw vendor.

Good news then, Shadowlands doesn’t have an infinite staircase like AP.

Agreed. All that other stuff, the ‘borrowed’ power should enhance the class abilities, not be the main factor of class power.

Yes, which they recognized was bad and thus fixed with a vendor. Because as a concept, Borrowed power grinds are awful and even Blizzard knows it.

No, instead it has transmog locked behind power, where the transmog I want is locked behind being 30% under the DPS of a normal Death Knight.

An equally bad if not worse situation.