Blizzard's Inaction on Server Populations is Unacceptable

So those lovely options are:
-reward them with more money, again
-start over, way behind, again
-quit, obviously not “making excuses” to do this if I’m here asking for a fix

All that sounds acceptable to you? Normal?
I don’t recall even having problems anywhere near like this on my retail time through. I spent xpac after xpac on one server and it was healthy. Seems an impossible thing in TBCC with the way it currently is. So my conclusion is yeah, they absolutely should intervene and do something.

8 Likes

Expected? Yes. Predictable? Yes.

What problems? Faction balance changing over time on a PVP server? Where and when did you play? How were you measuring it?

You may just not have noticed the balance, because it’s not really a very important thing.

Well, fair. What would you like them to do? I have some ideas for how they could resolve this “problem” and have stated some of them in some previous threads. I don’t really see what the point of having characters locked to servers is, nor the point of long-lived servers.

They could just be dynamically spun up/down, and adjust depending on the current online population. Guilds could still have guild chat over battle net, and coordinate which server to be on for guild activities.

You could add whatever sorts of constraints you’d like on a per server basis, for example faction balance, and queue times above particular thresholds, etc.

However, that is not WoW Classic, nor TBC Classic, and the statement, “You think you do, but you don’t.” rings resoundingly true here.

“Oh yes, I do, but…” if there is any but, then the above statement makes sense. What follows after the but seems to be different for most: faction balance, dual spec, RBGs, personal loot, warmode, Tokens, LFD, and whatever else has been solved in Retail.

Anyway, I have a question for you. Why do you care about faction balance?

2 Likes

yeah my horde are on DD and server is now dead, cant get attuned for TK or SSC to save my life. GM in a ticket said there is nothing they can do for me about moving to Grobb since my Ally toons are on that server unless I delete all my 70s there to play my horde there after paying tons of fees to move all my 70s from DD over to Grobb. About to go try New world out and if that isn’t fun just stop playing games

7 Likes

Halaa/Wintergrasp. Always even give and take or pretty close.

Not important is subjective, and here’s why.

It is the basis for everything I personally enjoy about the game.
Pve is the same thing week after week.
Bgs/arena are good, but eventually suffer to routine.
But wpvp, that’s as dynamic as it can get in this game. Turning on /worlddefense and running off to save whatever you see getting attacked. My best memories are of big, fair halaa battles. For the most part, even cross faction people were sportsmanlike and respectful.

But TBCC? It makes me feel like I’m chasing a dead ideal that nobody else is. I do not want to be the majority on the server where you can “win by default” and obviously, can’t be the minority where you are the only one still fighting.

When I played Sulfuras horde and the alliance started to break, I stopped ganking. But naturally, most people did not. It became a slaughter, everywhere. Because they could. Now it is a 99% horde server and it offers me nothing.

EF with more and more alliance packing up every day, it gets harder and harder to keep going. You end up with 100 Oshu’gun powder and want to turn it in, but you can’t recruit enough help to take back Halaa for even a minute. Or piles of horde immediately rush in at the first sign of action and crush your hopes.
They are now freely walking into all our towns, even stormwind, and obviously not seeing enough opposition to stop them. This will further push people to leave until there is no one left. In a way you could say it is designed lore and the horde has conquered the server, but for what real purpose? In the end, they lose as well when there’s no one left to fight for battle tokens, or to cap towers so they can recap for a daily.

5 Likes

I don’t expect Blizzard to do anything NOW but it would have been nice if they did something to prevent 90% of servers from having issues. 90% in 4 months and this is supposed to be good or even expected? It’s still close to the beginning of this expansion. There were things they could have done to prevent this all.

If you haven’t noticed the majority of these threads are created by brand new posters who were literally told by customer service to come here and post because the customer service reps cannot help them. So I’d rather listen to them and empathize with them instead of saying something like “Just transfer bro”. I’d rather them know that there are actually people out there who care and let them know that the overall WoW community isn’t garbage. So I’ll keep posting in the threads.

As I’m sure you know I’m going through this myself on Earthfury alliance where I have to figure out if I’m splitting one of my alliance characters off from my main characters so I can do PVE content with it or just stay where I am with it and really only PVP. I’m still on the fence but regardless of this (because my situation of playing both sides is unique and therefore irrelevant to most) I’ve been writing in these threads since long before my server had any issues. So it’s not about me. It’s about everyone.

I always tell people on the fence to quit. I still have people who I play with that I like and my subs are worth the cost but that doesn’t mean I’m going to ignore things and play make believe that there aren’t problems.

Thank you for explaining your history. I have a feeling that you put yourself in a “bubble” where you don’t really pay any attention to the server you’re on or anything else community-related. To me seeing a server community die off after 2 years is sad and should be avoided even if it’s a video game community but if you don’t care about this that’s fine.

It’s definitely even worse when people transfer or reroll multiple times.

7 Likes

Maybe. I was part of a great community on Kurinnaxx during WoW Classic, and it’s a shame that it’s gone now, but it is what it is. Server transfers and faction imbalance aren’t a new thing. My stating that we knew about it isn’t me stating that I think it’s good, so please be mindful of your conflations.

What I am pointing out is that you can transfer (it’s only $25 per character to do so) or reroll if you would prefer, elsewhere, and it is possible to continue enjoying the game. If it’s something that you enjoy doing, then spending the cost of lunch here or there on transfers isn’t that big of a deal.

If you are boycotting Blizzard on principle, then I suspect you are just looking for an excuse to take a break anyway, which is fine and seems to be a normal thing that people do.

OK, well good luck :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Axxi, unless you’re a shareholder then you have no skin in the game.

Why are you being a Blizzard shill? It won’t make them like you.

9 Likes

almost too late to merge .low pop horde trans to whitemane and farelina in return in the forums getting overrun by horde no alliance are quiting whitemane all servers will become dead or so unbalanced check whitemane out

btw kurrinaxx down to 92 /anybody else from kurrinaxx or still on the server

If the pop changed to 99% horde that is alliance transferring or quitting. From all the posts I have seen on this forum about pvp servers.

I am under the impression it is a player based plan where 1 faction goes to a specific pvp server.

Now not to sound like a blizzard fan boy they should do something about it but in my opinion this is a player made issue.

My fix to the issue merge all pvp servers into one and call it a day by not allowing that playerbase anywhere to transfer too.

U picked a pvp server for open world pvp stop running from it.

Idk if I’m just lucky but I researched and joined grobbulus mid way into Classic prior to TBC. Still no issues as I chose a highly populated balanced server. Theres my recommendation.

1 Like

Truth hurts.

it is a player-made problem. Any effective fix Blizzard could implement would have people howling with outrage.

3 Likes

My expectation is that Blizzard won’t address this until a few months after Classic Fresh launches.

That said, how they handled Classic Era doesn’t give me much confidence that they will make logical solutions. For example, they didn’t connect some Classic servers (like Deviate Delight) with any others. Last week, they announce that dead servers can transfer to Whitemane (PvP) but if you have Alliance and Horde toons, you have to abandon one faction (and give up names for those you do transfer) rather than simply add more server connections.

Basically, Blizzard is slow to address and when they do try to address it, they bungle it up.

Unending layers were Blizzard made, not player made.

in Classic a few people got mad when Blizzard set to turn off layers and fix queues by turning off new character creations and server transfers on high pop servers in Classic, for a few months. However, due to that, there were not dozens and dozens of threads over a period of months about dying servers… because servers stopped dying. That solution was bar none better than the current non-solution where if people want to play at all they have to pay to transfer to some trash community mega server.

I’ll agree that there’s not going to be a solution now but there could have been.

I’m also not going to be mean to or “hurt” brand new posters because I’m not a Blizzard simp or a jerk. I actually care about what others are going through.

7 Likes

I played horde on Wrymrest and alliance on Farstriders and when the server population dropped so much that the game was unplayable they “connected” servers with a several other servers. Farstriders was connected with Silverhand and Thoruim Brotherhood. All I want is for them to do the same thing now.

4 Likes

Quote where you think I’m being a shill.

2 Likes

Generally blizzard doesn’t have any ground to stand on these days. They’re not worth anyone defending then

7 Likes

because you want peeps to spend money on transfers and defend Blizzards lack of action. Regardless of how you feel about it, the fact is that Population is dropping fast and making gameplay impossible. Paying to transfer is not an option considered on this thread as pseudo solutions that cost money are what we are mad about, and the fact you think that it is even a solution proves you disconnected from the reality of gameplay and willing to shill freely for an unethical money grab

8 Likes

If this game was just $50 and that was it. Id understand a hands-off approach outside of content releases. But when people pay $15 a month for a game, they have a right to voice their concerns on the forums. It’s actually suggested by gm’s when you submit a ticket.

People deserve clarity, and blizzard should be sharing the ongoing efforts they will be taking to alleviate these problems. And a quick r.i.p to fairbanks alliance. The best part of classic for me was wpvping against them, and getting my a$$ kicked often.

8 Likes

Shillers are gonna shill after all. I guess they think blizzard senpai will finally notice them. :rofl:

4 Likes