Blizzard trying to villainize Tyrande

Is Tyrande being a violent, xenophobic isolationist really such a surprise? That’s literally been her character arc since Warcraft 3. Malfurion, and later Varian had always been the one reigning her in, which certainly isn’t the case now.

Tyrande was the one who initiated the attacks on Thrall’s and Jaina’s forces in the leadup to Archimonde’s attack on Mt Hyjal instead of attempting diplomacy first.

Tyrande ordered spies and military incursions into Eversong Woods and the Ghostlands during the Burning Crusade while the Alliance as a whole was attempting to recruit the Blood Elves, an act that later led them to joining the Horde instead.

Tyrande also vetoed any possibility of the Nightborne joining the Alliance, and thus left a vacuum for the Horde to step in to provide much needed aid and supplies to the Nightborne (remember that the Nightborne now needed food instead of mana, but had no infrastructure for such after thousands of years of not needing it + half their city destroyed). Tyrande honestly would have let the entirety of the Nightborne die of starvation and exposure because of the actions of the ruling class while conveniently ignoring the parallels with Azshara and the rest of Tyrande’s group after the Sundering.

She’s never cared about anything beyond the survival of her own people, their relationship with the rest of the Alliance merely out of convenience rather than sharing similar ideals. Not that that’s necessarily wrong, but her current character arc is hardly something out of left field. It’s been a long time coming, and not that far off from her personality to begin with.

8 Likes

At least I have something to look forward to!

I definitely would because they were so obviously written to be Horde aligned. Like, if anyone was surprised they went Horde that’s a them problem.

It isn’t being a villan for getting revenge over attempted genocide. Would a jew be a villain for going on a killing spree in a N@zi concentration camp?

It wouldn’t surprise me at all.

I actually thought AR races might be a way to get skins on both sides without dissolving the factions.

As it looks like now, everyone is just gonna get to play with everyone.

Once the conversations started popping up on the ship and the time gated stuff sure. But before that, it was all just another Night Elf history lesson like Aszuna, albeit an interesting story and fun to play through, but nothing horde about it all the same.

she isn’t, Greymane proved himself to be a warmonger
and anduin proved himself to be a coward that will listen and back it back

genn started this latest conflict, and the moment the only person in the horde that was ok with fighting it was ousted “better keep fighting them” is his response

Tyrande is a fool, she always has been a hotheaded fool.
and it is her exact sort of reaction that has kept the horde and alliance in constant conflict

everytime there is peace one leader from the other side decides that the other will always be attacking and to make a concentrated effort to strike the enemy hand before it can move

it’s like saying russia and the U.S will always be enemies…so it’s best to just attack them before it becomes a problem
but that leads to you being a genuine threat which causes them to have to attack you…which causes them to being a constant threat

1 Like

Contrary to a lot of players, I actually like the Tyrande / Malfurion duo. I think there’s so much character development and story Blizzard could have done with them.

The Darkshore outcome w/ Nathanos was a huge disappointment, especially if Blizzard was trying to play up the power of Tyrande’s Night warrior transformation. (It’s a bit a like pro wrestling where you need someone to be a “jobber” to a new character’s power in order to show your audience just how great it is)

My one major “dislike” for Tyrande is the voice acting. The dodgy accent is really annoying.

1 Like

Disagree. The race of deeply magical Highborne hanging out in their perfect isolated kingdom centred on a dank as hell lake of arcane power wasn’t subtle in its influence.

The only problem I see is Anduin has kinda taken over as “THE Priest”.

We still need Malfurion as “THE Druid” though.

it wasn’t attempted genocide, it was an attempt to knock the night elves out of the war

the original plan was to draw out the night elf forces and specifically the druids
decimate them and kill malfurion

saurfang chose not to do this and tyrande/malfurion made it clear that there would be massive retlation
the result? destroy their base…destroy every bit of war effort they can bring to the table

wasn’t right…but it’s not wrong either
the alliance had already declared war and the night elves were extremely close to the “capital” of the horde

…burning the one place in the world where the Night elves live cannonically isn’t genocide? Right…

Also you have your history in the game wrong. The alliance hadn’t declared war until the horde attacked Darkshore…

I really just want them to stop using this as an excuse to keep the nonexistent faction war going. “But they MIGHT attack us one day!” isn’t a good excuse anymore. Well, it wasn’t in the first place.

4 Likes

the one place? https://wowwiki.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Night_elf_territories

You can’t live life worrying about what may happen. I could fart tomorrow and blow up Stormwind. That doesn’t mean it will be right if you execute me before hand. The only thing you can do is hand me a tums and hope for the best.

yes, yes they had.

the moment that Genn attacked the horde with alliance forces and was backed up by the alliance war was openly declared

and no, it’s not. the burning happened purely because of a promised attack, because plan A was demolished by some idiot orcs “honor”
at any rate they goal wasn’t to exterminate them, it was to destroy their ability to wage war by demoralizing them (by removing their home, since their leader being killed was no longer an option)

but tell me, if say…the orcs attacked an alliance leader and the horde 100% backed their efforts without ever trying to stop
then to secure the area around stormwind you sought to kill the leader of Quel’thalas but failed and then were outright told that there would be retaliation and death for the actions
what would you propose the action be taken?
would you leave the staging ground of Quel’thalas standing? would you sack it and force them to leave or die?
what would you propose be done?

it was the biggest concentration though, the overwhelming vast majority of elves lived there.

then they arent all gone and it wasnt genecide is what your telling me?

A sacking isn’t necessarily genocide. If it was genocide the Horde wouldn’t have helped evacuate night elf civilians.