Blizzard should implement a cap to the cost of respecing azerite gear

I respec my azerite traits quite often when I play wow. The reason why I do this is do to the fact that I find myself in a situation where my guild or a group I find needs a role to do a certain kind of content and it turns out I have that role. For me to be the most confident for that role, I need to make sure that I have the right azerite traits for my specialization. I know that they don’t have too much of a significant impact, but they definitely help out and make me feel more confident while playing my role.

I don’t mind paying for respecing but I reach a point at the end of the day where I can no longer afford it and the price has just become too ridiculous for me to consider it. I find myself staying in a specialization for a day or two due to the fact that I know I wont be as sufficient if I were to switch, and I no longer become confident with going into a group that requires me to switch my role.

I understand that there needs to be a certain cost to respec traits, but it should not get this ridiculous, especially when the amount of gold doubles each time. It gets to the point where I find people not wanting to switch specs or roles due to the fact that they cannot afford a respec anymore and this could be why some roles in ques are more deprived than others.

I have discussed this issue to my guild and the people that I have met while doing content, and most of them have told me that they have been in the same position where respecing is no longer affordable. This is where I made the conclusion that this system was taxing the player base a lot more than it needed.

For me a proper solution for this would be to implement a gold cap, a price that would still sting a bit, but not to the point where the amount of gold is outrageous and just not affordable.

P.S. I’ve made a similar post 2 days ago, but due to the original post going through a significant amount of edits and the thread having differed away from the main idea too far, I decided to bring this topic up again.

I personally believe this is an issue in the game.

10 Likes

I have never had a problem with this, but like a cap of 5k gold would harsh enough for most players.

2 Likes

I don’t get why they are punishing players for playing multiple roles

12 Likes

Very much this. I had to change so many traits this week on my DK, due to tanking and dpsing regularly and I didnt have enough gear to have 2 different sets. On top of this my mythic+ traits differ largely from my raid traits.

It really is baffling that they have such a system in place. I thought they got rid of talent change costs(literally what this is) because they wanted players the ability to be flexible to what the party needed. This change of philosophy is bizarre since it was very much unneeded.

2 Likes

To my surprise there were people against the idea of cap for azerite respec costs.

Are people actually going to miss spending thousands of gold on respecing there azerite gear?

3 Likes

Lot of people dont care or know enough about azerite traits to even bother changing them. Anyone not fully away of how big of a dps jump you can get depending on the content you are doing wont care because they have not put in the time to figure out why to care.

2 Likes

It’s fine as-is.

If you find yourself respeccing so often that respec costs are out of control, you’re playing the game wrong.

Get yourself alternate azerite gear for those other tasks.

This alternate gear might be lower ilevel, but it will still get the job done and you won’t have to worry about respec costs.

For example: As an arcane mage, I keep 2 sets of gear: one for single-target and one for AOE.

My mainset is for single-target, so all the highest ilevel pieces are specced for that. My secondary lower ilevel pieces are then specced for AOE.

When it’s time to AOE, I just press the hotkey to put on my AOE set. I do not port to town to respec my main gear.

Maintaining multiple azerite gear sets is what Blizzard WANTS you to do. Respeccing is only intended for occasional mainspec swaps or to try different talents. You’re not supposed to respec often.

Had Blizzard wanted you to respec often they would have put a cap on respec costs.

Since I play the game as Blizzard intended I find my respec cost never exceeds 10g. Personally, I don’t find 10g to be a hardship. Seems fine as-is.

6 Likes

Either get more pieces for your offspecs or settle for more generic traits. The reforging system is in place to correct mistakes, reassign old gear to a new spec, and to make adjustments after balance changes are made.

It is not a talent system.

Let me repeat that:

It is NOT a talent system.

I understand that some people wish it were a talent system, but that’s not the design, and it never was. Trying to force it to be one through sheer force of will and excessive gold does not change that. I’d be okay with a cap, but only to avoid stupid situations like the cost literally going over gold cap (as was an issue in the world first BoD race). The cap shouldn’t be “it stings a bit” it should be “if you’re doing this, you better have tons of gold to blow. It’s not supposed to be worth it”.

Alternatively, remove the cost entirely, but implement some sort of long cooldown akin to item restoration on changing traits on that same piece again. There could be a grace period to make additional changes after the first (say, 24 hours) to avoid too many “oops I messed up” moments.

That way people would be forced to use it as intended.

5 Likes

If it azerite traits weren’t suppose to be treated like talents, why do they act like them and have almost as much of an impact on play style?

I hear this argument that azerite traits don’t matter, they do. They won’t automatically make you a good player but they can make you more sufficient in playing your role.

Azerite traits matter, and that’s why people frequently switch out. it contributes to a player having a better impact on the group. It may be not a significant for tanks or healers, but they do help.

2 Likes

It’s not really that bad to me personally because I just use a different set of slightly worse gear for my offspec, but it really makes no sense why there isn’t a cap. Well it does make sense from a profit point of view I guess, since blizz wants people buying as many tokens as they can afford.

An obvious middle ground would just be to have a one time high fee (like 100k or something) to dual spec your azerite pieces.

Multiple sets.

Just carry around multiple sets.

The big problem with this gear is it has traits for multiple specs to begin with. So for most specs it’s just a junk upgrade because there’s only two traits to chose from and there’s not a lot of other options you can go with since that was the piece of gear designed for your class.

Fixing this means no more multi spec azerite gear. Every spec gets a specific piece with most if not all of the traits you can choose from. You know, like a talent tree.

I can already see that this outcry is just going to result in the next smoke and mirrors non solution to the azerite problem. They didn’t fix the gear with Titan Residuum. It’s not going to get fixed with unlocked rings. And the next non fix will be “Hey we reduced reforging.”

Just going to enable the devs to keep putting our talent tree in loot crates.

Because they’re similar in design, but Blizzard specifically wanted you to make a choice that matters to some extent rather than flopping every fight like people do with talents.

BTW, all of your Azerite pieces are in the 385-400 range. Getting an off set of azerite pieces is NOT hard to do at that ilvl. It’s only ilvl 415 where it becomes an issue due to excessive costs and lack of freebies.

3 Likes

Sells more wow tokens

2 Likes

But why is it a bad thing that people want to swap azerite traits? we shouldnt be looked down upon to wanting to be the best player we can be.

true that the 385-400 range isnt as harsh as the 410+ bracket, but that doesnt mean we shouldn’t care about the people who are in that bracket.

2 Likes

Dosent Blizz sell gold in the cash store? Just buy some.

That’s not how the system is intended to work. Go against the system and pay the price.

1 Like

That cap should be 0 gold.

2 Likes

pay the price of a non-capped gold bracket? Seems that it wasn’t thought out thoroughly, thus it’s unnecessarily harsh.

If it azerite traits werent meant to be care about, why are they impactful for the player experince? might as well not have them at all

Here it is again and it’s not even a Blizz employee…(or is it). I can’t stand this saying. How can a player “play the game wrong”? It’s like using the wrong mount, playing to have fun, choosing a wrong choice. What is with this sentiment?

2 Likes

There are people who say I’m not playing the game right. Who are you to say that Im playing the game wrong? Do you represent blizzard and their values?

I just dont see why a gold cap would be a wrong thing to implement. Would give people more options.

1 Like